Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The idea to introduce "smart weight" to Elections

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Doing what someone else tells you is not wisdom.
    It is when your wisdom tells you that someone else knows better than you and that you should follow their advice.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leckysupport View Post
    It is when your wisdom tells you that someone else knows better than you and that you should follow their advice.
    Your "wisdom" sounds like mush-headedness to me.

Anything I have that I consider "wisdom" is something I've gained from experience, not parroting others.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your "wisdom" sounds like mush-headedness to me.

Anything I have that I consider "wisdom" is something I've gained from experience, not parroting others.
    I believe wisdom is something that goes beyond strict logical explanations therefore defining it is pointless, although everyone who has experience with wisdom (or the talent for wisdom) knows it.

Edit: Also you can learn from experience that listening to others is helpful.
    ἀταραξία

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Problem is, you eplained it logically, leckysupport.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua
    It's been only some time after the USSR collapsed and during that time most of the second language that was taught to non-Russians under USSR rule was Russia, not English. He probably speaks Ukraine (assuming his not part of the 18% Russian minority), Russia and some English.
    Russian*, Ukranian*

what's your excuse?

just ftr, the point of my initial post wasn't to bully him so much as to point out that if he's going to be all authoritarian about who does and doesn't get to vote according to some arbitrary system of his design, he should expect himself to get subjected to a similarly condemning scrutiny. it just so happens that his personal flaws lie so close to the surface that it becomes a comically simple process to do so.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There be grammar Nazis on the forum, you see Aqua - you die from your own disease.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe wisdom is something that goes beyond strict logical explanations therefore defining it is pointless, although everyone who has experience with wisdom (or the talent for wisdom) knows it.
    See you make it sounds like some special grownup club though, which it's not. I hate it when people can't explain something but pretend to give it weight in public discussion regardless. It makes people who don't identify with the way you explain such things feel undervalued and stupid. For a long time growing up I felt sure that there was this whole collection of "adult secrets" and this contributed to my social alienation as I grew older because I felt like I never understood the "secrets." Now I understand that there are no "secrets," only things you learn by being in certain situations. But the feeling still haunts me sometimes, especially when I am in new places or with new people who have customs or ways of interacting I don't immediately comprehend, and I detest this exact brand of pedantry which feeds into such baseless, self-inflating mythology.

Edit: Also you can learn from experience that listening to others is helpful.
    Agreed, to a degree, but I think when taken too literally that this, too, can promote (and signify) a fearful mentality.

Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, at least they do have a small amount of posts, which makes them expert...

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See you make it sounds like some special grownup club though, which it's not. I hate it when people can't explain something but pretend to give it weight in public discussion regardless.
    Some things are unexplainable and have large consequences, such as love, law and romance. To explain wisdom would do both you and the subject injustice.

Agreed, to a degree, but I think when taken too literally that this, too, can promote (and signify) a fearful mentality.
    I'm not entirely sure where you're getting the fear mentality from - maybe you are highlighting confidence issues?

I've tried to strip away negative emotions I have towards my parents advice and in an act of pride attempted to look at their advice with my own more mature eyes. Idk if that helps.
    ἀταραξία

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some things are unexplainable and have large consequences, such as love, law and romance. To explain wisdom would do both you and the subject injustice.
    I'm not saying they should be codified, but congruently they shouldn't be mythologized or made to seem more mysterious than they really are.

I'm not entirely sure where you're getting the fear mentality from - maybe you are highlighting confidence issues?
    No, I'm more talking about the kind of obfuscatory attitudes behind religions and other mystification of every-day experiences.

I've tried to strip away negative emotions I have towards my parents advice and in an act of pride attempted to look at their advice with my own more mature eyes. Idk if that helps.
    No, it has nothing to do with my parents in particular, more the kind of de facto condescension that "grown ups" use on younger people when they feel insecure.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    INTJ
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Better idea, paying taxes and not a criminal, 1 vote. Not paying taxes or a criminal? No votes.
    Bad idea: those who have the money would vote for the laws for themselves, making poorer those who do not have money. This is the foundation upon which the social explosion may occur
    Be criminal not to be an absolute evil. So criminals can vote for the laws relevant to the benefit of society

Marxist Ne’er-do-well Red Villain's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-SLI/ xNTJ
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yaaroslav View Post
    Bad idea: those who have the money would vote for the laws for themselves, making poorer those who do not have money. This is the foundation upon which the social explosion may occur
    Be criminal not to be an absolute evil. So criminals can vote for the laws relevant to the benefit of society
    The existence of criminals implies a law, a law implies a society contradictory to itself, hence the law can only ever benefit a portion of society, at the expense of it's other social-strata. Reducing the political representation of those with less intelligence only increases the frequency of the government acting against it's interests. Is it not true the ignorance is poor-man's illness? Those who have money would simply buy their votes anyway by investing in their child's education. Your convoluted plan to prevent the "social explosion" could only have the opposite effect in the end; hastening it's inevitable arrival.
    "We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12