Thread: Galen's Tritype Self-Identity Paradigm Shift

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Galen's Tritype Self-Identity Paradigm Shift

There was a ton of discussion about this in the other tritype thread, but I'd rather relocate me talking about myself to its own thread instead of hijacking another one.

Basically copy this post over to here and use it in place of this OP
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post913470

Ramble time

Originally Posted by Gilly
    [Well I would keep a few things in mind: one, these descriptions are grossly exaggerated. Two, they are independent of instinctual orientation; thinking about it in light of sx as your primary fixation might make it both more realistic and palatable.]
    Yeah, instincts are always at the greater forefront of my mind in this respect.

Originally Posted by Gilly
    [One more big thing, I think we are kind of inherently supposed to be ashamed of enneagram related stuff. I can't quite feel the real nature of your visceral reaction, but I will say that when I first studied enneagram, type 3 was the furthest from what I ever thought I would see in myself. I've always been a "rebel" and tried to defy the expectations of others; at least, that's what goes on in my head. But when I really looked at my life, the decisions I'd made, etc, I realized that this self-conception was actually a kind of rebellion against myself, a way that I was keeping the balance inside. I don't know if that's necessarily the same for you, but I just remember feeling a kind of revulsion when I first started thinking about myself as a 3. But when I think about the things that set me apart from others, I realize that yeah, I really was silently obsessed with "being the best," and in a variety of ways, such that it manifested in the tiniest, strangest aspects of my personality.]
    The nature of my reactivity here is thinking about triple attachment as manifesting in such a way that my core is, at its essence, an empty pit. I think about it like the Buddhist notion of emptiness, where nothing can possibly exist without the existence of other things before it. This is what I envision with 369, like they build up a massive exterior image when they interact with the world, but once you strip all that down there's nothing on the inside. It seems like a mindset where everything is inherently void of meaning, purpose, intent, and the individual is simply acting in accordance with whatever external circumstances they find themselves in without any internal, idiosyncratic drive that pushes them. In a way it's like a complete loss of ego, where the psyche is a completely nebulous, formless, intangible entity that can't be demonstrated to anybody else or pinned down without attaching some external framework to it.

As much as I hate extended metaphors, imagine a giant white board. Located near the bottom are a couple hundred people, each holding a different colored pen, and they all just start drawing on it. Some people just leave tiny little doodles. Others draw meticulous masterpieces. Others will just write "penis" or "cunt" a few dozen times, laugh amongst themselves, and call it a day. Some get on ladders and draw up on top when there isn't enough space at the bottom, others haphazardly wipe their sleeves over other people's drawings and invade what was once their proclaimed space. Eventually the entire board is covered in a rainbow of shapes and colors. When a passerby comes and sees the drawings, what does he make of it? He'll see the craftsmanship, or lack thereof, of each drawing individual drawing; conversely, he could take in all the drawings as a whole and try to develop some cohesive meaning to everything.

But what he will never notice is the board itself.

This is how I see a 369 mindset. Everything the 369 stands for or represents is not of his "authentic self," rather he simply accumulates information, stimuli, experiences as he lives his life from things outside of his control, blending all the things he's come to know in life into a psychic melting pot and synthesizing them into his ever-evolving self identity. His inner core cannot contain anything solid, because everything is blended together and thus nothing can be grasped onto. There's no place on a 369 where you can point to and say "THAT is what you are," because as soon as you've found something discrete to latch onto it just as easily slips away into the mind's chasm once more.

Actually come to think of it, as I've been writing this it's become a more and more empowering thought. If my entire ego is formless and without svabhaba, then that means it can pretty much be anything I want it to be. So long I quiet down the external impressions that people project onto my psyche and let whatever authentic impetus guide me, it doesn't matter what form the white board takes. It can really be an amalgamation of everything and the nature of the white board itself will always come through in some way. This is only well and good so long as I don't mistake whatever pops up on the board for the board itself; I do notice this happen every now and then, where in any given moment I may immediately color my perception of myself as a "failure" because I did one thing poorly, only to have that flip back around when I do something well. I guess it's important to internalize that as invaluable as outside experience may be, it's not a substitute for inner authenticity and must only be taken in context of everything else.

In a lot of ways I find myself actively trying to defy what external labels people try to put on me. This especially happens in typology, where you'll hear me playing devil's advocate saying "I'm not 'quirky', I'm not off-the-wall and forgetful," etc. It happens a lot in real life too: in my music whenever somebody tries to pin down my style I find myself kind of uncomfortable and want to prove them wrong; similarly, I find myself drawn to artists who are capable of completely re-inventing themselves at the drop of a hat, like dabble in one genre for a little while then completely shift gears as if to say "fuck your genre, Imma just be me". I even remember one little incident where I was cooking something in the kitchen and my dad came up to me and said "you're a chef!" I had a sort of mini panic attack in my head, like "who are you to tell me what I am?" Even people talking about me in simple character descriptions like "hard-working" or "witty" tend to fluster me, because I never think about myself in those terms. I wonder if this is some sort of E3 counter-image stance in the same sense of e6 counter-phobia.
    Last edited by Galen; 11-01-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay so like
    don't let gilly be the only one to give me a tritype
    be DARING
    LIVE LIFE
    GIVE ME MORE TYPINGGGG

please

Creepy-pokeball

8,91: 1
    2,3,4: X
    5,6,7: 6

Bon apetite!

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no way 1s are gross

I don't see myself as particularly moralistic or bent on perfection; I find my philosophies and take on life tend to verge toward moral nihilism if anything. I also don't think I project imperfections onto other people, I'm generally pretty accepting of my own imperfections if I know that there's nothing I can do to improve upon them or just don't care. Nor do I particularly connect with the notion of an inner critic berating me at every turn.

Creepy-pokeball

You know you want to touch your inner-1.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Imo, I think your tri-type is 6w5-4w3-9w8 in contrast to mine which I think is 9w1-6w7-4w5 so the differences between our enneatypes are different wings, which I think do make a noticeable difference.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Imo, I think your tri-type is 6w5-4w3-9w8 in contrast to mine which I think is 9w1-6w7-4w5 so the differences between our enneatypes are different wings, which I think do make a noticeable difference.
    To be fair I don't really see you as 469. You seem pretty non-oppositional and accepting for a double-reactive type, regardless of which type is first. I'm not sure what you'd be, maybe 369 or something. Don't take my word on that though.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    To be fair I don't really see you as 469. You seem pretty non-oppositional and accepting for a double-reactive type, regardless of which type is first. I'm not sure what you'd be, maybe 369 or something. Don't take my word on that though.
    It's certainly possible, my heart triad is the one area that I haven't explored in depth. I did think I had 3w4 in my tri-type in the past, but I then realized that it may of been as a result of growth or stress that gave that impression. I'll have to look into the 3 and 4 descriptions further to find out which of the two fits me better. The 946 description came across as non-oppositional and accepting to me, which could be a result of having 9 as the main enneatype, but I'll have to read more into the 963 description as well and see if it fits me better or not.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    It's certainly possible, my heart triad is the one area that I haven't explored in depth. I did think I had 3w4 was in my tri-type in the past, but I then realized that it may of been as a result of growth or stress that gave that impression. I'll have to look into the 3 and 4 descriptions further to find out which of the two fits me better. The 946 description came across as non-oppositional and accepting to me, which could be a result of having 9 as the main enneatype, but I'll have to read more into the 963 descriptions as well and see if they fit me better or not.
    Yeah, the descriptions I've been finding haven't been particularly helpful for me. You may benefit from looking at this chart, seeing where particular triads line up an are accentuated depending on each type: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...vZnFtQUE#gid=0

Creepy-pokeball

no way 1s are gross

I don't see myself as particularly moralistic or bent on perfection; I find my philosophies and take on life tend to verge toward moral nihilism if anything. I also don't think I project imperfections onto other people, I'm generally pretty accepting of my own imperfections if I know that there's nothing I can do to improve upon them or just don't care. Nor do I particularly connect with the notion of an inner critic berating me at every turn.
    Sez the guy that didnt take the time to watch a cartoon created from agrarian culture, and judged it moralistically without attempting to understand it *le cough*

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

no way 1s are gross

Well, I'm the opposite, and if you don't have that then how can you type yourself Fi ego; they are infamous for having a conscience.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    Well, I'm the opposite, and if you don't have that then how can you type yourself Fi ego; they are infamous for having a conscience.
    Not that I'm saying this is the reason, but what Galen says could fit irrationality.
    good bye

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan View Post
    Fi in the 1st or the 2nd position is a sufficiently different animal.

Otherwise you would only need 8 types instead of 16.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae2point0 View Post
    Sez the guy that didnt take the time to watch a cartoon created from agrarian culture, and judged it moralistically without attempting to understand it *le cough*
    Emotional reactivity is not the same as moralistic judgment.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boy it sure is a good thing I have maritsa on ignoFUCK GOD DAMN IT GUYS

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Fi in the 1st or the 2nd position is a sufficiently different animal.

Otherwise you would only need 8 types instead of 16.
    Yea howso? Nope.

It's not? Ever? Hmmm. Glad you defined that for us, Jesus.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    Yea howso? Nope.
    What?

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?
    What the hell are you talking about?

"Fi in the first or second position is a sufficiently different animal? Otherwise, you would only need 8 types instead of 16?"

WTF does this mean?

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    What the hell are you talking about?

"Fi in the first or second position is a sufficiently different animal? Otherwise, you would only need 8 types instead of 16?"

WTF does this mean?
    There is a difference between IEE and EII. I thought I should encourage Maritsa to think about those differences.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I should encourage Maritsa to think
    have fun with that

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have fun with that
    Much like IEE's you have to approach EIIs in a certain way if you wish to float an idea. The relative inflexibility of humanitarians when it comes to considering things against their adopted paradigms can be remarkable.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much like IEE's you have to approach EIIs in a certain way if you wish to float an idea. The relative inflexibility of humanitarians when it comes to considering things against their adopted paradigms can be remarkable.
    I wonder if this is more a function of Maritsa being a compliant enneatype. "This method of thinking is the way things are and must be, I must comply with this mindset at all costs." 126 makes loads of sense for her in this context.

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if this is more a function of Maritsa being a compliant enneatype. "This method of thinking is the way things are and must be, I must comply with this mindset at all costs." 126 makes loads of sense for her in this context.
    People are people...

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no way 1s are gross

You do realize that looking at the enneagram like this (which is equivalent to looking at a socionics in terms of behavioral patterns) amounts to nothing more than a superficial understanding right? Ones tend to be pretty awesome people btw, you would probably know that if you spent more than 2 seconds flipping through type descriptions.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    You do realize that looking at the enneagram like this (which is equivalent to looking at a socionics in terms of behavioral patterns) amounts to nothing more than a superficial understanding right? Ones tend to be pretty awesome people btw, you would probably know that if you spent more than 2 seconds flipping through type descriptions.
    Which conception of E1 would you rather I compare myself to and subsequently reject?

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which conception of E1 would you rather I compare myself to and subsequently reject?
    Motivation (Basic Fear/Desire) + Parental Orientation + Using descriptions as background information to understand the 1st

Compare, essentially, to the motivation. 6 does seem about right for you (over 1 anyway).
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Creepy-pokeball

What is the process?

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    lol when you write this with your "Fen is not pleased" avatar

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the process?
    Well for example, that one with Donald being harassed by Chip and Dale, I just don't understand how the cartoonists want me to feel. Surely there has to be some sort of deeper cultural relevance to it that's lost to my eyes, because all I'm seeing is some guy being attacked for no reason and getting nothing that he deserves, and it just so frustrating to see that kind of injustice played off for laughs. Is Donald built up as some sort of awful character in previous iterations? If he is then I'd probably get more out of it, but without any further context it's just disheartening to see.

Creepy-male

I don't know you that well Galen

but I think gut wise you are e8w9 or e9w8, e1 doesn't make much sense and physically you have a very physical/body oriented e8 kind of posture, but on the board you seem more mellow and more e9 ish and less 8/7 ish

heart first is a possibility I like what Gilly said concerning e3, in some ways you seem showy and expressive which makes me think e3 -- I don't really know if you lean e2 or e4.

head first is also a possibility but for some reason I think of you more heart first and the e3 thing... e6 and e7 come to mind. 6w7 you seem to lean more towards the positive e7 ish side of things but don't really seem completely e7.

I think I kind of like 3-6-8

or e3w2 - e6w7 - e8w9

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

korp knows what's up

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

E1 and after E6. I can be wrong though, and ehat I have seen in Gilly, Raven and more is not Ej socionics wise - Ep. So, your sworn enemy is, yourself Galen, unless socionics. Bla fuvk blah, that is Fi type - to hell with socionics.

Anyway, I'll stick to delta NF people, EIIs in particular,

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HaveLucidDreamz View Post
    I don't know you that well Galen
    oh do go on

but I think gut wise you are e8w9 or e9w8, e1 doesn't make much sense and physically you have a very physical/body oriented e8 kind of posture, but on the board you seem more mellow and more e9 ish and less 8/7 ish
    Not sure what you're seeing in my posture that particularly 8ey. I always find myself looking kinda clumsy and ungrounded whenever I see myself move on camera.

heart first is a possibility I like what Gilly said concerning e3, in some ways you seem showy and expressive which makes me think e3 -- I don't really know if you lean e2 or e4.
    I don't think Gilly was talking about 3ness as my primary motivation, but 3 in heart makes more sense the more I consider it.

head first is also a possibility but for some reason I think of you more heart first and the e3 thing... e6 and e7 come to mind. 6w7 you seem to lean more towards the positive e7 ish side of things but don't really seem completely e7.
    lol me as a positive person
    Sure I joke around probably way too much, but only when I'm at a loss for constructive contributions to a discussion (this happens often on here), and my humor is generally more sarcastic than outright positive or uplifting.

Creepy-pokeball

Well for example, that one with Donald being harassed by Chip and Dale, I just don't understand how the cartoonists want me to feel. Surely there has to be some sort of deeper cultural relevance to it that's lost to my eyes, because all I'm seeing is some guy being attacked for no reason and getting nothing that he deserves, and it just so frustrating to see that kind of injustice played off for laughs. Is Donald built up as some sort of awful character in previous iterations? If he is then I'd probably get more out of it, but without any further context it's just disheartening to see.
    The cartoons were made in mid-centry 1900s, and the characters either portray nuisances to agricultural life, military symbolism, crooks, and those related to small town life. Each cartoon is a melodrama about such life then, especially in times of strict Christianity. Chip n Dale are meant to be dicks, as they symbolize teenagers fucking with the adults ... and not all of the adults are really that swell either. Mickey Mouse is really the only shining hale on these cartoons, except that he comes off as annoyingly fake, which is always symbolic in a small town setting. Donald is less than angelic. He is often portrayed as the dick that pretends to be the shining apple with ill-intent.

What I am more interested in is your reaction. Why did you feel this way? No, not why did you think this way.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh sorry about that before.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cartoons were made in mid-centry 1900s, and the characters either portray nuisances to agricultural life, military symbolism, crooks, and those related to small town life. Each cartoon is a melodrama about such life then, especially in times of strict Christianity. Chip n Dale are meant to be dicks, as they symbolize teenagers fucking with the adults ... and not all of the adults are really that swell either. Mickey Mouse is really the only shining hale on these cartoons, except that he comes off as annoyingly fake, which is always symbolic in a small town setting. Donald is less than angelic. He is often portrayed as the dick that pretends to be the shining apple with ill-intent.
    Ah, assuming this is all true it's interesting.

What I am more interested in is your reaction. Why did you feel this way? No, not why did you think this way.
    To hearing this? Well now that I have a better sense of the cartoonist's perspective (assuming it's true), that the plot isn't as important as the characters and what they're said to represent, it all feels less dickish, at least from an intellectual standpoint. Were I to see another cartoon of equal (non)dickishness again though, I'm not sure if react the same way.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THIS IS ALL A SHAM BECAUSE YOU AREN'T A DOCTOR LIKE THE HISTORICAL FIGURE YOU'RE NAMED AFTER - RETYPE RETYPE RETYPE

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsy View Post
    THIS IS ALL A SHAM BECAUSE YOU AREN'T A DOCTOR LIKE THE HISTORICAL FIGURE YOU'RE NAMED AFTER - RETYPE RETYPE RETYPE