Thread: The most extreme vigilante action

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The most extreme vigilante action

A lone wolf assassinates the president of the United States of America. The vigilante is connected to news agencies and before the person is captured he sends a well-written and composed message. The vigilante refers to right to bear arms as a prevention against tyranny of the most aggressive nation of human history. The assassin seeks to re-install the fear of the people that every democratic government should have towards its citizens.This act would be symbolic and the assassin defines himself/herself as a humanist protesting the unjustified wars against the people within and outside the United States. He/she wants an end to the wars against abstractions that cannot be won, such as the War on Terrorism and the War on Drugs.

What would follow?
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

he would be characterized in the media as a psycho, everybody would forget it happened in a couple of years.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah especially considering that killing the president is a futile action, even if it is heavily symbolic. So yeah it is actually psychotic to think that poking the dragon in the eye is anything more than socially suicidal.
    Last edited by Gilly; 09-27-2012 at 03:01 PM.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an example see Anders Brevik.

People attempt to label insane what they do ot understand.

Also they do not understand that groupthink and mediocre philosophy will cause others to react in opposition to that position. It's a kind of herd mentality that is endemic in the politics of our age.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    A lone[...]
    Sounds like a scene taken out of V for Vendetta.

What would follow?
    Death.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    What they do not understand?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    For an example see Anders Brevik.
    I don't really think that's quite a fair comparison. He killed little kids who were completely naive about the world and had never done anything seriously wrong. I think its safe to say that no US president will have that kind of claim to innocence. Not that they all deserve to die.

An oft-abused half-truth.

Also they do not understand that groupthink and mediocre philosophy will cause others to react in opposition to that position. It's a kind of herd mentality that is endemic in the politics of our age.
    I agree but in this case it would be stupid and unnecessary, and pretty much insane, to kill a US president unless he/she was guilty of something egregious.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this the most extreme thing you could think of.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

We've already had two four Presidents assassinated. It hasn't helped.
    Last edited by Capitalist Pig; 09-27-2012 at 11:14 PM.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two?
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Two?
    Lincoln and Kennedy.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four. Likely six.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    ILE, E5 so/sx, INTP
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    he would be characterized in the media as a psycho, everybody would forget it happened in a couple of years.
    o.O

We ... haven't forgotten Kennedy, nor what happened to him.
    ILE; INTP
    5w6 so; rcUe|I|;

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    A lone wolf assassinates the president of the United States of America. The vigilante is connected to news agencies and before the person is captured he sends a well-written and composed message. The vigilante refers to right to bear arms as a prevention against tyranny of the most aggressive nation of human history. The assassin seeks to re-install the fear of the people that every democratic government should have towards its citizens.This act would be symbolic and the assassin defines himself/herself as a humanist protesting the unjustified wars against the people within and outside the United States. He/she wants an end to the wars against abstractions that cannot be won, such as the War on Terrorism and the War on Drugs.

What would follow?
    In the most literal sense, Joe Biden would take over Obama's role as president of the United States.

In a more figurative sense, I highly doubt the well-written note would get publicized. It doesn't matter if the assassin is 'connected to news agencies'. The sentiment he's expressing is how many Americans feel, so the bigshots with $$$ want to suppress that, and further their own agendas, wrapped around the propaganda of 'War on Terror' and the 'War on Drugs'.

Could it be a catalyst for overthrowing the American government? The tipping of a domino? It could be, but not yet. Although our political atmosphere is contentious, and politicians have been shot at in the past couple of years, it was mainly at their offices, more as 'warnings'. Like @lungs said, the person would be viewed as a psycho. HOWEVER. In the next 5 years, when we hit another economic crisis, and the economy is launched into a great depression, the assassination could start a wave of anarchy. Most democracies only last 200 years historically, and while ours has been more resilient for several factors, it seems to be reaching the tipping point.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scapegrace View Post
    Four. Likely six.
    oh yeah, Garfield and McKinley. d'oh, lol. I don't count Teddy or Reagan because they weren't killed as a result of the attempt, unless you meant Harding and that other guy but those were never proven conclusively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media is not an entity independent of governmental interference. The public would hear a completely different story.

Think Kennedy; nobody knows what the fuck happened or who was involved save for the those that commit themselves to theories which may make sense, but will never supported by the official entity that controls the evidence. I don't find that a coincidence. Imagine for a moment if the OP was actually the story of that exact assassination. Can we say without any doubt that events would not proceed as they had?

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Lone Wolf wants an end to war against abstractions that cannot be won; hence he decides to war against human aggression and tyranny.

Ouroboros.jpg

Creepy-male

Well I wouldn't support assassinating Barack Obama let me make that infinitely clear hahahha.

However exactly what Kassie said in reality.

Though in fiction I've always considered assassins to be a sort of heroic romantic notion, say in certain games it's typical for the assassin to spy on some corrupt evil merchant and then jump in the moment he's about to kill or rape some impoverished person that owes him money and he's clearly abusing and thinking he's not watched or going to have to pay for it. In fiction I've always loved that kind of thing, but in reality it's much different -- I'm sure it's exactly what lungs said. Now if the person where a great master of stealth maybe they'd pull it off without being caught but it wouldn't matter in this situation because say something like the wars the US are involved in are a consequence of the interests of the military industrial complex which extends far beyond a single man -- in fact I tend to think Obama is on the side of the common person and not pro-military/industrial complex, sure he works with these people, but out of practicality. Maybe in some fantasy world you could imagine a grossly corrupt US military industrial complex that would send in private contractors like blackwater that would routinely circumvent the geneva convention and rape the locals and abuse people all backed by some corporate slimball in an office somewhere with an army of lobyists, media friends, and politicians. While a lone assassin systematically picks off king pin corporate heads and corrupt politicians while taking allies of loyal politicians and capitalistic innovators, working as an agent of some old, weak, noble, and worn out ex-power player who is now isolated and disabled. As the assassin progresses through the ranks of the corrupt he stirs up fear, alarm, and negative media before successfully disabling the corrupt and allowing the righteous to come to power... all while sneaking past loads of mercenaries and security guards. Sounds like a great fantasy but for several reasons it would not work in reality as corruption isn't as overt and rampart in the US and everything else is very gray and muddled.

It's hard for me to make a connection to something like that fantasy and reality, in reality I look at assassins as paid thugs or deranged lunatics with fanatical views. I can't recall a single point in history where there has actually been an assassin that lived up to such a reputation as is romanticized in some games and fiction.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    is this the most extreme thing you could think of.
    Not actually. I had a stoned vision of it being a lot better. It would have been more accurate if the "most" was to be removed. Whatever. Maybe I had something in mind to follow up with this. But the title still sucks though. Actually I'd be interested what would be the most extreme way of sticking it to the man. I set a fairly unimaginatively low standard for this.

It's just that as far as I'm concerned most of the assassins have been working for some bigger factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phthalate View Post
    o.O

I am still interested in Kennedy's case and to me he appears as a martyr of some sort.

Let's define the profile of the assassin:
    She's a well-educated mother who lost her children to friendly fire in Iraq war. She's a renowned war journalist and is known for her criticism towards the ways CIA 's way of controlling the media. Her readers would be familiar with her blogs. Would it change anything?
    Last edited by Aquagraph; 09-28-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phthalate View Post
    o.O

I think she's trying to discourage anyone from trying to get famous easily

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I'll rewrite this better when/if I feel like this. I'm disappointed at how I made it.