Thread: Science declares: VI is real

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Science declares: VI is real

Here we found that individuals' political affiliations could be accurately discerned from their faces. In Study 1, perceivers were able to accurately distinguish whether U.S. Senate candidates were either Democrats or Republicans based on photos of their faces. Study 2 showed that these effects extended to Democrat and Republican college students, based on their senior yearbook photos. Study 3 then showed that these judgments were related to differences in perceived traits among the Democrat and Republican faces. Republicans were perceived as more powerful than Democrats. Moreover, as individual targets were perceived to be more powerful, they were more likely to be perceived as Republicans by others. Similarly, as individual targets were perceived to be warmer, they were more likely to be perceived as Democrats... These data suggest that perceivers' beliefs about who is a Democrat and Republican may be based on perceptions of traits stereotypically associated with the two political parties and that, indeed, the guidance of these stereotypes may lead to categorizations of others' political affiliations at rates significantly more accurate than chance guessing.

Source: Democrats and Republicans Can Be Differentiated from Their Faces. PLoS ONE 5(1): e8733.
    Can you tell if someone is a Republican or Democrat just by looking at their face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-you-te...lican-or-democ

Now some of the "new physiognomists" are resurrecting an old claim: that you can gauge a man's penchant for aggression by the cut of his jib. Last fall University of California-Santa Barbara psychologist Aaron Sell reported that college students could accurately estimate the upper body strength of unfamiliar men after viewing their faces alone. (The men's necks were obscured.) The students did equally well with fellow undergraduates and men from South American indigenous groups—all of whom had had their strength measured using gym equipment. Interestingly, the toughest-looking undergrads also reported getting in the most fights. Another study by Sell suggests that such formidable men are more prone to use violence—or advocate military action—to resolve conflicts.

And:

So which features might hint at belligerence? Sell suspects the brow ridge and jaw, two structures that are shaped by testosterone in puberty. (High testosterone has been linked with masculine looks as well as with aggression.) Other scientists propose a different measure: the width-to-height ratio of the face, as measured from cheek to cheek and lip to brow. Last year, a team of Canadian psychologists showed that men with wider faces (think Ernie) score higher in lab tests of aggression than slender-faced men (think Bert). They also found that wide-faced hockey players rack up more penalty minutes. Now, two studies in Psychological Science—one from August and another forthcoming—reinforce the notion that stout-faced men appear tougher and are more likely to behave in aggressive and untrustworthy ways.
    Can you tell if a man is dangerous just by looking at his face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/slate-maga...a-man-is-dange

A study by Kaare Christensen of the University of Southern Denmark suggests people who look young for their age live longer: “Perceived age -- which is widely used by clinicians as a general indication of a patient’s health -- is a robust biomarker of ageing.”1

And a symmetrical face isn’t merely aesthetically pleasing; the journal Evolution and Human Behavior says it indicates someone who’s less likely to experience cognitive decline when they’re old.2

But what does a face tell us about someone’s personality? There are a number of characteristics where science suggests we should trust our instincts. A study at the University of Liverpool concludes: “Judges perform better than chance in guessing others’ personality, particularly for the traits conscientiousness and extraversion [sic]”.3

You should also trust yourself when judging whom not to trust, as a paper from the Centre for Advanced Study in the Behavioural Sciences concludes: “The human mind might be capable of picking up on subtle visual cues that cheaters’ faces give off.”4

And before you cut that guy off in traffic, researchers at Brock University suggest you check howwide his face is: “The facial width-to-height ratio may be a cue used to predict propensity for aggression in others.”5
    Scientists can read your face like a data-filled book
    http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arch...otes-face-time

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and another one:

A growing body of evidence suggests that rapid, yet accurate, dispositional inferences can be made after minimal exposure to the physical appearance of others. In this study, we explore the accuracy of inferences regarding criminality made after brief exposure to static images of convicted criminals’ and non-criminals’ faces. We begin with a background of research and theory on the curiously recurrent, and historically controversial, topic of appearance-based inferences of criminality, and a brief justification of our re-opening of the debate about the accuracy of appearance-based criminality judgments. We then report two experiments in which participants, given a set of headshots of criminals and non-criminals, were able to reliably distinguish between these two groups, after controlling for the gender, race, age, attractiveness, and emotional displays, as well as any potential clues of picture origin. Empirical and theoretical implications, limitations, and further questions are discussed in light of these findings.

Source: "THE ACCURACY OF INFERENCES ABOUT CRIMINALITY BASED ON FACIAL APPEARANCE" from Journal of Social, Evolutionary, and Cultural Psychology
    Can you tell who is a criminal just by looking at their face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-you-te...just-by-lookin

the blog i'm getting this from is beyond awesome btw and deserves that you all subscribe to it using an RSS feed reader.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, these a lot more of these so i'll just suffice with posting the links:

Does the face of the CEO determine the success of a company?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/does-the-f...ine-the-succes

Can I tell how hard your childhood was by looking at your face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-i-tell...ood-was-by-loo

Can you tell how driven a US President is by looking at his face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-you-te...resident-is-by

Can you tell how much a woman orgasms by looking at her face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-you-te...rgasms-by-look

Can you tell if someone is cooperative just by looking at their face?
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/can-you-te...erative-just-b

5 things you can tell about someone just by looking at their face:
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/5-things-y...eone-just-by-l

- if they are smart.
    - if they are a Nobel Peace Prize winner or a serial killer.
    - if a woman is a lesbian.
    - if they are a Republican or Democrat.
    - if a man is trustworthy.
    (links to each issue inside)

the author tends to name his blog entries by framing the conclusion of a cited piece of research in question form so the answer to most questions above is yes.

see also the search for "face" on Barker's blog: http://www.bakadesuyo.com/?page=1&sort=&search=face

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ehhh. So much fury for so little gain.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of those links redirect to "Can you tell someone's socionics type just by looking at their face?"

Personally, I do find that you can get a really quick intuitive sense of somebody's character from his/her face. I find myself subconsciously using this information all the time when I first meet/get to know people, outside of any strictly socionics context.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And I am smart again and it means humans still go by eyesight. Nice thread, though
    Last edited by Absurd; 09-02-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Your Face Looks Like Depends On These Five Genes
    http://www.businessinsider.com/5-fac...g-genes-2012-9

5 genes gives you 32 combinations. type + subtype, maybe?

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Super cool.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Creepy-pokeball

Whoa, disorders.

Creepy-pokeball

PRDM16 relates to fat and connective tissue content in the face?

Im too tired to look at the other few g3nez.

Creepy-pokeball

PAX3: PAX3, a gene that regulates muscle-cell formation, controls the distance between the top of the nose and the right and left eyes. PAX3 has been identified with ear, eye and facial development.

TP63 relates to the cleft pallette, I guess.

COL17A1 relates to collagen and skin density, I guess.

The 5th gene seems the least know -- to date.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Science declares war on Socionics.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This would be good for discriminating against people before actually getting to know them.

Creepy-male

I think I tend to like high agreeableness, concientiousness, and emotional stability with low openess and extraversion in both male or females -- just from looking at the faces.

Although the biggest difference I can tell is between low and high emotional stability -- people look very serene and well put together in the high emotional stability category and attractive to me, the people with low emotional stability seem less attractive in this way.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this one addresses socionics more so that VI but it should present another interesting corroborative perspective on socionics' validity:

Are we fundamentally the same person from childhood to adulthood?

"We remain recognizably the same person," Nave said. "This speaks to the importance of understanding personality because it does follow us wherever we go across time and contexts."

The researchers examined four personality attributes -- verbally fluent, adaptable, impulsive and self-minimizing. They found that:

• Youngsters identified as verbally fluent -- defined as unrestrained talkativeness -- tended, as middle-aged adults, to display interest in intellectual matters, speak fluently, try to control the situation, and exhibit a high degree of intelligence. Children rated low in verbal fluency by their teachers were observed as adults to seek advice, give up when faced with obstacles, and exhibit an awkward interpersonal style.

• Children rated as highly adaptable -- defined as coping easily and successfully with new situations -- tended, as middle-aged adults, to behave cheerfully, speak fluently and show interest in intellectual matters. Those who rated low in adaptability as children were observed as adults to say negative things about themselves, seek advice and exhibit an awkward interpersonal style.

• Students rated as impulsive as adults were inclined to speak loudly, display a wide range of interests and be talkative. Those who were rated low on impulsivity were observed, as adults, to be fearful or timid, keep others at a distance and express insecurity.

• Children whose teachers rated them as having a tendency to self-minimize -- defined as humble, minimizing their own importance or never showing off -- as adults were likely to express guilt, seek reassurance, say negative things about themselves and express insecurity. Those who were ranked low as self-minimizing were observed as adults to speak loudly, show interest in intellectual matters and exhibit condescending behavior.

source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0804151456.htm
    http://www.bakadesuyo.com/are-we-fun...erson-from-chi

Nay-sayers, consider yourself nay-sayed.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    So maybe I prefer females who're at least mid-range neurotic but not utterly.
    How is somebody neurotic in the middle and I thought that term disappeared a long time ago from diagnostic nomenclature, mostly due to criticism.

I mean, does a female come up to you and says "hi, I am neurotic in the middle but not utterly, let's be friends"?

Plus.

Does science declare who is mistyped and who is not, for this place is a bit strange when it comes to that.
    Last edited by Absurd; 09-17-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This piece of research is potentially highly corroborative of the claim that something akin to Logic and Ethics jostle for attention or even long term "dominance" in the brain:

Our brains can be logical and compassionate — just not at the same time

According to new research by Anthony Jack and his colleagues, the brain contains two different networks that are in constant tension. Normally, when we’re not called upon to think too deeply or consider moral issues, our brains idle and toggle between two cognitive modes, what are called the social network and the analytical network.

So, when we do things like math or our personal accounting, we’re pulling from the analytical network. And when we’re thinking about the needs of others or certain ethical conundrums, we draw from the social network.
    blog post summary:
    http://updates.io9.com/post/34761671...onate-just-not

direct link to paper:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...912010646?v=s5

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ interesting read. Thanks lab.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our brains can make fast decisions, and accurate decisions — but not at the same time
    http://io9.com/5958297/our-brains-ca...-the-same-time

Another study about dichotomized specialization in the brain, with one skill being exercised at the cost of attention to the other. it's harder to see which socionics dichotomy this would link up with, if there are any. sensing/intuition primarily comes to mind in me.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brain can make accurate decisions fast. Just like that.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    Another study about dichotomized specialization in the brain, with one skill being exercised at the cost of attention to the other. it's harder to see which socionics dichotomy this would link up with, if there are any. sensing/intuition primarily comes to mind in me.
    Haven't read the article yet, but the first association that comes to mind for this kind of topic is Si/Ne (Judicious) vs Ni/Se (Decisive).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good call. i can sort of see that.

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someoneone make a facial composite for me of the composites?

I wonder if it would look like me If I combined:
    low agreeableness
    low conscientiousness
    low extroversion (or high, I can see myself fitting both depending on the mood)
    high emotional stability
    high openness
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good call. i can sort of see that.
    Furthermore, I associate accuracy with in general. Working with accurate "objective" information is of primary concern to this information element. Te egos tend to be allergic to misinformation, factual inaccuracies, erroneous interpretations, subjective tailoring of data, etc. so making "accurate decisions" should naturally fall under Judicious Te's (a.k.a. Delta STs) domain of priorities.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw this clip the other day. Notice Louis C.K.'s blatantly Judicious demeanor and his attitude towards social media trends. Great example of what I was thinking of.

Last edited by Park; 11-09-2012 at 05:51 AM.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post

low agreeableness
    low conscientiousness
    high emotional stability
    high openness
    The problem with trying to make this composite from other composites is that everything would just get muddled together. The low agreeableness composite will likely also have equal parts extroversion/introversion, neuroticism/emotional stability, etc. This will probably apply to all the other composites as well, so everything will be 5/6ths mud and the individual traits will be lost in all the noise. You'd have to find individuals with the traits you want and composite them together to get what you're after.
    Last edited by Galen; 11-09-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Park View Post
    Furthermore, I associate accuracy with in general. Working with accurate "objective" information is of primary concern to this information element. Te egos tend to be allergic to misinformation, factual inaccuracies, erroneous interpretations, subjective tailoring of data, etc. so making "accurate decisions" should naturally fall under Judicious Te's (a.k.a. Delta STs) domain of priorities.
    hmm not entirely sure i agree; there is also this connotation of "business logic" that is often raised in regard to Te, which implies largely the opposite.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

low agreeableness
    low conscientiousness
    high emotional stability
    high openness
    Why don't you do it yourself?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm not entirely sure i agree; there is also this connotation of "business logic" that is often raised in regard to Te, which implies largely the opposite.
    Hm, you're right. But I don't see why it would imply the opposite. It just shifts the focus to a more macroscopic level. Business logic is roughly about how things work, what works, and what doesn't. And from what I can tell this doesn't imply anything contradictory to my previous statement.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think it necessarily contradicts the need for accuracy, but it can be very quick and decisive by focusing on the known to the exlusion of the speculative and merely possible. of course in combination with Ni this is alleviated considerably.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"[Before phrenology] all we knew about the brain was, how to slice it..." -- R. Chenevix (phrenologist),1828.

Phrenology was a faculty psychology, theory of brain and science of character reading, what the 19th-century phrenologists called "the only true science of mind." Phrenology was derived from the theories of the idiosyncratic Viennese physician Franz Joseph Gall (1758-1828). The basic tenets of Gall's system were:

1.The brain is the organ of the mind.

2. The mind is composed of multiple distinct, innate faculties.

3. Because they are distinct, each faculty must have a separate seat or "organ" in the brain.

4. The size of an organ, other things being equal, is a measure of its power.

5. The shape of the brain is determined by the development of the various organs.

6. As the skull takes its shape from the brain, the surface of the skull can be read as an accurate index of psychological aptitudes and tendencies.

So it was believed that by examining the shape and unevenness of a head or skull, one could discover the development of the particular cerebral "organs" responsible for different intellectual aptitudes and character traits. For example, a prominent protuberance in the forehead at the position attributed to the organ of Benevolence was meant to indicate that the individual had a "well developed" organ of Benevolence and would therefore be expected to exhibit benevolent behaviour.

However, like so many popular sciences, Gall and the phrenologists sought only confirmations for their hypotheses and did not apply the same standard to contradictory evidence. Any evidence or anecdote which seemed to confirm the science was readily and vociferously accepted as "proof" of the "truth" of phrenology. At the same time, contradictory findings, such as a not very benevolent and disagreeable person having a well-developed organ of Benevolence were always explained away. This was often done by claiming that the activity of other organs counteracted Benevolence. What was never accepted by phrenologists, however, was that admitting that the activity of a particular faculty could be independent of the size of its organ undermined the most fundamental assumptions of the science- and thereby rendered all of its conclusions inconsistent and meaningless.

From Britain phrenology spread to America and France in the 1830s and in the1840s it was re-introduced to Germany. It became far more successful in America. Phrenology died away in Britain by the early 1850s but a new movement was re-introduced to Britain by the American "phrenological Fowlers" in the 1860s and 1870s. The Fowlers had begun lecturing and reading heads for fees in New York in the 1830s. Their phrenology was wholly borrowed from the British modifications of Gall's system. The Fowlers swept through Britain on a successful lecture tour before establishing various phrenological institutions, societies and publishing concerns. Less scientifically pretentious and more overtly entrepreneurial, it is largely this latter-day phrenology whose remnants are still seen today. A phrenological bust in an antique shop will almost invariably bear the label "L. N. Fowler". The latter phrenology movement was largley responsible for the anthropometric (head reading) craze of the latter 19th century and its well-known anthropological/racial concerns. The early phrenological movement was concerned more with providing practitioners with claims to epistemological certainty and intellectual authority than disscussing human races.
    Phrenology evolved into wider and wider cultural space over time, beginning with Gall and the highest scientific and social and cultural elites, from Goethe to the king of Prussia, to the British and American scientifically pretentious middle-class phrenological societies of George Combe and finally to the disreputable practical "professors" of phrenology, reading heads for profit and the mass audiences of the Fowlers to the dawn of the 20th century. So-called "practical" phrenologists like the Fowlers, far outnmubered, in the long run, the interested medical men, the scientifically pretensious and theoretical phrenologists. Many orignal texts are available at this site which portray a broad range of phrenological literature- from high brow to low brow.

During phrenology's first heyday in the 1820s-1840s, many employers could demand a character reference from a local phrenologist to ensure that a prospective employee was honest and hard-working. This belief that the protuberances on the skull provided an accurate index of talents and abilities was particularly urged to be applied to education and criminal reform. Phrenologists, not unlike those who today believe in strong demarcations in "left-" or "right-brains", thought they could determine the most suitable career for the young and match prospective mates with greater accuracy than 'old-fashioned love'. Visiting a phrenologist was akin to seeking the advice of so-called psychics, clairvoyants or astrologers today. A phrenologist was someone who claimed to have access to special knowledge about people. The ignorant and gullible were particularly susceptible to the pretensions of phrenologists.

Rather than portraying phrenology as having succumbed to an inexorable progress of 'science' or representing the Victorians as having become less 'gullible', phrenology can be understood to have been diffused and absorbed into a host of other practices and traditions- as such many of its components live on. Alison Winter uses a similar approach to understand the 'disappearance' of mesmerism. Phrenology, as all popular fads, eventually became deeply unfashionable amongst the well-to-do who had previously espoused it. It had degenerated into a sect of zealous extremists. Many of the first generation phrenologists were unable to pass on their discredited knowledge to a new generation which had many more opportunities to participate in popular sciences. Nevertheless, the British Phrenological Society (founded by L.N. Fowler in 1887) was only disbanded in 1967.

http://www.victorianweb.org/science/...ogy/intro.html

TIM
    Neon Ninja Phoenix
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Why don't you do it yourself?
    Idunno how
    Perfect<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>Loops and Tings

Ambivert / Aggressor / Trailblazer / Nomad / Alpha Caretaker / Free Spirit / Kevlar Speed Demon / Ninja

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Idunno how
    see this is where you might want to reevaluate the using-books-as-bonfire-material lifestyle.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think it necessarily contradicts the need for accuracy, but it can be very quick and decisive by focusing on the known to the exlusion of the speculative and merely possible. of course in combination with Ni this is alleviated considerably.
    I think I get what you're saying. Personally, I often want to put closure on things after I have acquired enough information to reach a logical conclusion, and there's usually a point where I become completely uninterested in considering different options and alternatives when I have things that work and are reliable, but sometimes these decisions are made on the expense of missing better options, or fucking things up in the long run by neglecting the big picture. [edit:] Is this the kind of thing you're referring to?
    Last edited by Park; 11-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.