View Poll Results: Does Socionics matter?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 46.67%
  • No

10 33.33%
  • Maybe/Don`t Know

2 6.67%
  • If I see one more does it matter thread...I`m gonna.....

4 13.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Socionics matter?

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default Does Socionics matter?

Well....DOES it? Why or why not?
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Socionics matters because intertype relationships exist.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it matters to me because it makes me understand people better and appreciate differences more.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the fourth option.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matters in regards to what? My job? No. My life? No. It gives me something to do and a way to juggle ideas and makes for a nice hobby, but I don't spend the majority of my time thinking about or or reading about it or posting on here.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You don't need socionics to live your life, but once you know it, it will matter. It not something people forget.

Whatever truth there is in socionics, those truths are inescapable without a huge effort, because they do not describe what you want, but how things work.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    Matters in regards to what?
    That was all you had to answer.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

the vast majority of people in the world have no knowledge of socionics. i don't get how "does it matter" could even be considered as a valid question.

Perpetual Confusion Machine PistolShrimp's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni 4w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the fact that none of my closest friends are Betas and my bf is an ILE, I've kind of stopped caring if it matters or not.

Creepy-Snaps

Yes, socionics matters.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is a personal question. I'm assuming you knew this before asking.

No, because all my relationships require effort and none of them are really any easier than others. Each one requires a certain degree of patience, time, and understanding or else they don't work (e.g. effort). People that think the best relationships shouldn't/don't require effort have probably been very lucky in life or have unrealistic expectations with regards to other people.

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this, I guess. I don't think socionics matters if it tries to tell people that their relationships will be poor or great or try to tell them who/what they are. I've said this before, but I'm just being honest. You asked. So yeah. If a person is intelligent enough and motivated to understand and get along with people, the socionics relationships won't manifest at all the way proclaimed. This is truth and fact for me, although if for you or anyone else socionics seems to work for your individual and possibly contradictory reasons, that doesn't negate my truth.

And here we are.
    good bye

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tackk View Post

No, because all my relationships require effort and none of them are really any easier than others. Each one requires a certain degree of patience, time, and understanding or else they don't work (e.g. effort). People that think the best relationships shouldn't/don't require effort have probably been very lucky in life or have unrealistic expectations with regards to other people.

Yeah, I'm probably being a dick about this, I guess. I don't think socionics matters if it tries to tell people that their relationships will be poor or great or try to tell them who/what they are. I've said this before, but I'm just being honest. You asked. So yeah. If a person is intelligent enough and motivated to understand and get along with people, the socionics relationships won't manifest at all the way proclaimed. This is truth and fact for me, although if for you or anyone else socionics seems to work for your individual and possibly contradictory reasons, that doesn't negate my truth.
    oh really. and how old are you? how long is your longest relationship? Are you really telling those of us who do find socionics descriptive, that we aren't "intelligent enough or motivated to understand and get along with people?" Is that really the claim here?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    oh really. and how old are you? how long is your longest relationship? Are you really telling those of us who do find socionics descriptive, that we aren't "intelligent enough or motivated to understand and get along with people?" Is that really the claim here?
    Probably, one or the other. Either they are intelligent, but lazy and want things to be easy for them. Or they are stupid and motivated and really need socionics for guidance. Sound too unreasonable?
    good bye

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably, one or the other. Either they are intelligent, but lazy and want things to be easy for them. Or they are stupid and motivated and really need socionics for guidance. Sound too unreasonable?
    I don't think people who haven't been in 10+ year long relationships (my conflict relationship is 20 YEARS old) are really qualified to call other people out on this.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people who haven't been in 10+ year long relationships (my conflict relationship is 20 YEARS old) are really qualified to call other people out on this.
    That doesn't prove socionics though or even make a case for it. That's just one kind of relationship. You obviously had a conflicting relationship with someone for whatever reasons. Maybe socionics can help explain it, but there's tons more stuff to socionics that is not often true. In total, socionics is often false for me for what it claims. Besides, if you come to socionics after you decided the relationship was conflicting, you've already made up your mind to go looking for validating your relationship as conflicting in socionics. That opens a whole new can of worms in terms of individual credibility because you've already decided what relationship it was and just fit the types to it.
    good bye

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That doesn't prove socionics though or even make a case for it. That's just one kind of relationship. You obviously had a conflicting relationship with someone for whatever reasons. Maybe socionics can help explain it, but there's tons more stuff to socionics that is not often true. In total, socionics is often false for me for what it claims. Besides, if you come to socionics after you decided the relationship was conflicting, you've already made up your mind to go looking for validating your relationship as conflicting in socionics. That opens a whole new can of worms in terms of individual credibility because you've already decided what relationship it was and just fit the types to it.
    you have no idea. You don't even know me and I'm not going into it all here.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have no idea. You don't even know me and I'm not going into it all here.
    Of course I don't. I'm sorry you took offense to something I said without me having too much care for who might be offended by it. I really don't care that much to step on eggshells while posting on this forum. Your truth will not subjugate mine. If you feel I subjugated yours, I made it clear that my answer was personal, as the nature of the topic is. I'm allowed to have individual judgements about other people, as you are about me. But the intent of what I wrote was not saying that you are wrong and I am right; I rarely care for such thought anyway. But I do feel strongly that a lot of people who use socionics are looking for an easy way out with their relationships; that or they are not very bright and because of this, it works well for them because they fit a stereotype of thinking so well.

Besides, it's possible that conflicting relationships are one of the most truthful aspects of socionics. I'm not actually debating that. But again, socionics is more than that. And I don't think you are defending the rest of socionics, but just conflicting relations. So we're arguing about different things to begin with. Can we just relax and discuss this so that everything we are talking about is clear to one another? I feel like you are misrepresenting my character/opinion/person/knowledge and I'm assuming you got the same impression of me. We don't have to do that, you know?

Anyway, relax. We're not fighting a war here and I really don't care that much. I just want to communicate a bit here and so that's what I do.
    good bye

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course I don't. I'm sorry you took offense to something I said without me having too much care for who might be offended by it. I really don't care that much to step on eggshells while posting on this forum. Your truth will not subjugate mine. If you feel I subjugated yours, I made it clear that my answer was personal, as the nature of the topic is. I'm allowed to have individual judgements about other people, as you are about me. But the intent of what I wrote was not saying that you are wrong and I am right; I rarely care for such thought anyway. But I do feel strongly that a lot of people who use socionics are looking for an easy way out with their relationships; that or they are not very bright and because of this, it works well for them because they fit a stereotype of thinking so well.

Besides, it's possible that conflicting relationships are one of the most truthful aspects of socionics. I'm not actually debating that. But again, socionics is more than that. And I don't think you are defending the rest of socionics, but just conflicting relations. So we're arguing about different things to begin with. Can we just relax and discuss this so that everything we are talking about is clear to one another? I feel like you are misrepresenting my character/opinion/person/knowledge and I'm assuming you got the same impression of me. We don't have to do that, you know?

Anyway, relax. We're not fighting a war here and I really don't care that much. I just want to communicate a bit here and so that's what I do.
    ok.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    Matters in regards to what? My job? No. My life? No. It gives me something to do and a way to juggle ideas and makes for a nice hobby, but I don't spend the majority of my time thinking about or or reading about it or posting on here.
    My first thought when I saw the question was "In what context?" but I'd also include "For what purpose?"

Don't use a hammer when ya need a plier, and all that jazz. Glad someone asked it.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, @Takk, you express very much like me, that's cool!

Besides, if you come to socionics after you decided the relationship was conflicting, you've already made up your mind to go looking for validating your relationship as conflicting in socionics. That opens a whole new can of worms in terms of individual credibility because you've already decided what relationship it was and just fit the types to it.
    Well if we talk about me, let me tell you that I disagree. You are making a generalization here, without any reason you make the claim that I'm subjective when it comes to identify the type of relationship in Socionics. I don't think that is true in my case and I have many examples where good or bad relationships between the people I know do not match this intuitive "bad-good" scale that the Socionics theory might suggest for some.

Socionics IMO is primarily defined by the information metabolism in the Model A, also the type descriptions. Then, typing by the "quality" of the relationships is fallacious (you need at least one correctly typed person in the network) and it may contradict the identification by descriptions.

All in all, I think you are not talking about real Socionics, its correct understanding, but the popular culture around it.

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ineffable View Post
    Socionics IMO is primarily defined by the information metabolism in the Model A, also the type descriptions. Then, typing by the "quality" of the relationships is fallacious (you need at least one correctly typed person in the network) and it may contradict the identification by descriptions.

All in all, I think you are not talking about real Socionics, its correct understanding, but the popular culture around it.
    Yeah, pretty much.
    good bye

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    the vast majority of people in the world have no knowledge of socionics. i don't get how "does it matter" could even be considered as a valid question.
    The vast majority of the people in the world have next to no knowledge of how their own immune system works, but it still matters.

TIM
    some sort of N type?
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe
    It's interesting to know why people behave the way they do and why no matter what sometimes you just can't get along with someone. But people are too complex to put in nice little categories and maybe it's all bullshit.
    "We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
    -Charles Bukowski

"Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost."
    -unknown

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here we are.
    I essentially agree with all of this. I hardly ever get along with my identical . . . in fact the relationship/friendship often deteriorates with time. And there have been duals who hated me and vice versa. In real life you might even encounter conflictors who seem quite nice and likeable.

So, especially in real life, in terms of close social friendships and romances, finding the right dual or identical can be quite challenging at times. You can't assume that everything will operate in terms of intertype relations.

I knew an LSI once, I don't remember her exact words, but she said something like ' . . . you can get along with everyone . . .' Honestly I don't remember . . . Anyway, just because you don't get along with someone or you don't like them or they don't like you doesn't always mean they're from a conflicting quadra or that the intertype relation is somehow unfavourable.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    Well....DOES it? Why or why not?
    If it doesn't, you wouldn't have made this thread nor would the t16t exist.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a lot like glasses. Do you need glasses? I mean you could always sit in the front row and squint really hard if you wanted.
    Easy Day

Creepy-pokeball

It matters in as far as other things matter -- no greater and no less.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one of the greatest discoveries of our time.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics tries to help with understanding people. It already succeeded in helping me some.
    Is understanding people important?
    I'd say that 80 percent issues and hurdles that individual and society faces now-days are social. So yes understanding people and differences between them is the most mattering matter.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if most of the Model A is bogus, it teaches a research ethic. It goes beyond the simplistic rules of thumb of compatibility, "opposites attract", "similarity is appealing" or the confusing and irrelevant "a mix of both", to precisely define a cognitive inventory and the rules of social potential in a limited respect; all the whats and whys. It teaches one what a dichotomy really is, what a personality trait really is, and how to understand the differences and similarities between personalities in a logically consistent manner. So I think it's cool anyway, these principles, IMO, can be applied to anything.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it matters. Every time I see someone posting their MBTI type on facebook I'm like haha lol slow.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

To answer my own question, I think Socionics matters, but only to an extent. I understand Socionics to be merely an attempt to map a fraction of the human personality. Imo, it is hampered by the fact that it is a semantic map and will not be capable of representing the true territory that exists within the realm of the human mind. Also, I think it only maps a fraction of the human personality, which deals primarily with communication and filtering information in the external world, while neglecting other aspects of the human psyche. These aspects from my perspective likely include the nervous system composition and the predominant brain chemicals in the individual's mind.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raver View Post
    To answer my own question, I think Socionics matters, but only to an extent. I understand Socionics to be merely an attempt to map a fraction of the human personality. Imo, it is hampered by the fact that it is a semantic map and will not be capable of representing the true territory that exists within the realm of the human mind. Also, I think it only maps a fraction of the human personality, which deals primarily with communication and filtering information in the external world, while neglecting other aspects of the human psyche. These aspects from my perspective likely include the nervous system composition and the predominant brain chemicals in the individual's mind.
    I really don't care what anyone's brain looks like and I don't think knowing what it looked like would be any more informative than a semantic behavioral map nor enhance my understanding of that individual.
    Easy Day

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The whole field of psychology is irrelevant, much more socionics.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    I really don't care what anyone's brain looks like and I don't think knowing what it looked like would be any more informative than a semantic behavioral map nor enhance my understanding of that individual.
    Of course, like I stated previously, how one's nervous system is designed and their chemical composition could tell me a lot more about the person than the structure of the brain. Basically my point is that the functioning of the brain is more important than the structure imo.

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In response to the OP,

There's a couple ways i can interpret your question.

1. Do socionic phenomena exist? My answer is I suspect there is definitely something to it.

2. Does KNOWLEDGE of socionics matter? (i.e. will the phenomena happen whether we are aware of them or not, does study of the discipline of socionics matter).

My response to this is... I'm pretty sure the phenomena and the patterns of interpersonal interactions do happen, whether we know socionics or not. Knowledge and study of socionics, though, as @jessica129 put it, can help bridge differences and help us understand when people might be misunderstanding each other and why. It can also be of use to people in managerial positions when trying to build cohesive, productive teams and deciding who to pair up with whom to work on projects, etc, but i can see this working successfuly only for someone with a keen ability with socionic typing. Of course trial and error can also work in these cases, if you aren't sure of type.

3. Can we alter the course of what we know might happen according to predicted socionic interations? (i guess that sort of goes along with #2)

This is a finer question. I'm not sure i really have a set opinion on this yet. I suspect that altering the course of an intertype relationship can only really be achieved by avoiding sore spots. Avoiding hitting the other person's POLR and HA, which can be realllly hard when your dominant and creative functions are the other person's POLR or HA, in which case the best thing to do is just to avoid interaction with your e.g. conflictor in general. Also problems arise in terms of not meeting expectations, such as in the case of conflictors not providing you with that which you most admire and you not providing them with what they most admire and expect. That can be a problem that i dont think is easily remedied.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do voice of the few matter in the face of us all. Like a pimple on that face... Well i could be so bold that i just gave you a simple fuckin yes

TIM
    me>> Augusta whore
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think it doesnt matter. Save that for yourself- Personally that stuff i put my time on because im that stuff its basicly yes it fuckking matters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast