Thread: Sun Tzu

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sun Tzu

I've been reading The art of War by Sun Tzu and SLI makes perfect sense for him. Discuss.

Last edited by silke; 07-11-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added some typing material
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your avatar still disturbs me.

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Sun Tzu is SLE imo, the purpose of art of war is unity thru force and discipline.

His probably most famous practitioners are Mao Tse Tung, Bruce Lee, Qin Shi Huang, all who I type beta ST. The book was written in a time of chaos about how to bring about the end of division and conflict, thru the unification of divided peoples thru the use of force.

IMO, beta quadra, esp the irrational betas exemplifies this role socially.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Art of War is one of my favorites; always thought it was all about the Ti.

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    Sun Tzu is SLE imo, the purpose of art of war is unity thru force and discipline.

His probably most famous practitioners are Mao Tse Tung, Bruce Lee, Qin Shi Huang, all who I type beta ST. The book was written in a time of chaos about how to bring about the end of division and conflict, thru the unification of divided peoples thru the use of force.

IMO, beta quadra, esp the irrational betas exemplifies this role socially.
    agree with everything said
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought Sun Tzu was LSI, but SLE isn't a bad guess; I doubt we could ever really meaningfully distinguish, but Beta ST seems pretty certain IMO.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The book focuses on strategy and thus he can't be LSI because it is a tactical type according to Renin dichotomies. Both SLE and SLI are strategic types and both are strong on Ti.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

beta st

TIM
    LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's the direct nature of Chinese when it gets translated into English, but LSI sounds better than SLI. Rules and power and stuff.
    Warm Regards,

Clowns & Entropy

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE then. Reminds me of Shukov, who was a great general loyal to the institutions.

TIM
    No idea
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the case for Sun Tzu being ILI can also be set up.

*His work is essentially the compilation of battlefield strategies and wisdom (somewhat like Solomon's proverbs, except for war)
    *The emphasis is not merely on rules although it is presented that way -> the rules are just the basis (maybe Ti-demonstrative)
    *Rather he emphasizes heavily that victory is obtained through imperceptible means, spying, misdirection, and mystery (Ni + Te)
    *He provides many strategies for various situations and evaluates their effectiveness (e.g. various methods of attacking by fire; course of action on various terrain etc.)
    *There is definitely Se involved due to the direct relation to war and conquest (hence not Si)
    *However the tone and content suggests caution, knowledge, and right timing in its approach to victory as opposed to strength, willpower and determination (the Ni side of the coin)

Just an opinion.

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

zhukov

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

“In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity”

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

“Thus the expert in battle moves the enemy, and is not moved by him.”

"Move swift as the Wind and closely-formed as the Wood. Attack like the Fire and be still as the Mountain.”

**** similes/metaphors of behavior rooted in simple elements mentioned for their energetic/kinetic qualities > Se natural world

“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.”

**** obvious Ni valuing in last quote -- not SLI
    Last edited by Amber; 05-28-2015 at 03:46 PM.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

This guy may not have even have existed, but based on the book, SLE is more likely than LSI if only because many of the stratagems are contradictory with each other. ( I've never understood why it is so highly regarded).