Thread: Power bars and kids

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Default Power bars and kids

I carry Power bars with me because I run out of energy and I was wondering....um....are they safe to share with kids?
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, unless you put razor blades in them.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I give my kids Luna Bars sometimes.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah they're ok, imo. But I don't allow energy drinks!!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I feel bad that when I was with my nephew, and I felt hungry, I took one out and didn't share one with him, in the past, because I wasn't certain about whether it was safe to do or not; he's 7 now and not so young but still a child. I checked the label and it doesn't have caffeine, so I thought that might be ok, but wasn't sure about the rest of the stuff they put in there.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

It could give them a nasty reaction, maybe even turn fatal, if they happen to be allergic to any of the ingredients. I would exercise caution!

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact, my son has a severe peanut allergy (and milder reactions to other nuts), and bars like this often have nuts in them, not visually identifiable. A kid in child care gave him part of one when he was about three years old and he did not understand what was in it. So--epinephrine shots, emergency room, IV, fear he might actually die, and the knowledge that this reaction might/or def would make a future reaction more severe (for about three years out) ... and big medical bills not covered by insurance as it's emergency treatment.

Another time a restaurant owner handed him a peanut-laden candy and he took a bite before I could grab it from him.

The most severe food allergens are listed here. I generally don't give kids food without their parents saying it's okay, esp younger kids.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, I assumed this was a kid you knew really well so you knew if there were any allergies? You have to be really careful to read ingredient lists carefully if a child has allergies. We have lots of children with various allergies in my neighborhood, and I've always talked to new parents to see if their kids can have snacks at my house and if so what to be careful of.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from food allergies which may be a problem, those "energy bars" contain mostly protein, right? At least that's the type I'm thinking of. In that case there would be zero risk, since the only thing they have in common with energy drinks (which are actually not suitable for children) would be the name. I also know a type of energy bars which contain dried fruit bucketloads of sugar (=energy) which might be an issue for some parents.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

lol@you guys

Creepy-male

If you are a girl, probably... if you are guy, be careful. Not because its unsafe for the kids, but its unsafe for you. If you have no relation to these kids in terms of being an authority figure, parent, or have a kid that is in the same organization as the other kid... then avoid children. People will consider you a pedo for handing out candy to little kids (unless its halloween), so don't do it -- someone will build a tower of cards and throw the hammer of the court down on you, and before the verdict can be read your reputation will be laid out to roast like a pig. When they finally get the evidence to prove your not guilty, the damage will be done already, and you'll have to move to Alaska for 10 years. Best advice is to walk the other way, or hand it to the kid with an honest witness present. Give the kids parents the power bars and save yourself.

TIM
    OmniPoLR
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew a guy who liked power bars when he was young and he killed himself.
    “I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in — and the West in general — into an unbearable hell and a choking life. - Osama bin Laden

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    I knew a guy who liked power bars when he was young and he killed himself.
    I don't believe your bullshit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    as a kid I used to always steal & eat my dads power bars. I turned out alright.
    when I was a kid there was no such thing as power bars.

just kidding. well not entirely. I think they existed, but barely.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you want to give children "power bars" aren't they hyperactive enough for you already..? lol