Thread: Enneagram type 6 and Dependent Personality Disorder

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram type 6 and Dependent Personality Disorder

I've come to the conclusion that I have Dependent Personality Disorder. I don't think I was always like this..but..I feel like it's gotten worse since I've recognized I am an Enneagram 6. It instilled in my mind that that's just how 6s are; they check for validation, ask people their opinion of everything...they feel like they can't run their own lives at times. And that validation that "that's just how 6s are" just furthered my dependency by making it seem okay.

As a 6 and someone with this personality disorder, I feel like phobic 6 relates to that dependency. I am like that much of the time, dependent. But, sometimes I realize this, and attempt to overcome it. I suppose that would be counter-phobic 6. But my counter-phobia is usually unsuccessful in helping me get free from this dependency. Before I even go into "cp mode" I ask people what they think of it. It's all so absurd.

Anyway,
    I suppose my question is, do any other 6s here relate to this, or have this disorder?
    Is 6 even an appropriate type? Because to me, it just seems like this disorder with a different name. And in the case of this personality disorder, I think the recognition of "being a 6" just makes behaving this way seem...normal. And that just lets it get worse.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I like 6s.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't relate to DPD, but I definitely see how it can play into and enhance the primary E6 fixation. I wouldn't call being 6 and having DPD interchangeable though, as each type can exhibit a wide variety of mental health levels.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I personally don't relate to DPD, but I definitely see how it can play into and enhance the primary E6 fixation. I wouldn't call being 6 and having DPD interchangeable though, as each type can exhibit a wide variety of mental health levels.
    True, but most mental illnesses are just exacerbations of instincts that have been "stretched" by excessive stimuli. Seems analogous to the way e-types exist; the way I see it, e-types just represent the instinct and fixation that were most overstimulated during childhood/developmental stages.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So perhaps E6s with DPD just are..more 6ish? Or less healthy 6s?
    I'm sure other types can have DPD. But 6 and DPD are both fueled by anxiety. I guess I was just wondering if 6s would be more susceptible to DPD..or something.

There is some research that suggests DPD develops more often in people who had over-protective parents. In my Enneagram book it says that 6s were connected to the protective figure while developing. I think there is some correlation between the childhood connected orientation with the protective figure that yields E6s...and how children with an over-protective parent are more likely to develop DPD.
    Last edited by fen; 02-15-2012 at 03:20 AM.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    6 sp
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that they are particularly related, though I can see how they might tie into each other. I would think a highly phobic 6 would be more likely to experience the typical traits of DPD, though. I am highly counterphobic and don't particularly relate to DPD. I can hardly relate to the high anxiety levels that a lot of 6s claim to feel, but again it could be phobic vs. counterphobic, and possibly even tying into other disorders or prior mental/emotional trauma of some sort.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fenryrr View Post
    So perhaps E6s with DPD just are..more 6ish? Or less healthy 6s?
    Well, for starters diagnoses of E-types have different criteria than those of mental illness, but I think anyone with a brain can see the connection of them being intertwined and sharing similar mechanisms, if not necessarily root causes.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess they both stem from dependence on a parent/protective figure for guidance.
    In the case of DPD, the individual feels inadequate and unable to make decisions without support of others.
    But this is the same in descriptions of E6.
    I do agree with Aero in that phobic 6s are more likely to relate than counter-phobic 6s.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    True, but most mental illnesses are just exacerbations of instincts that have been "stretched" by excessive stimuli. Seems analogous to the way e-types exist; the way I see it, e-types just represent the instinct and fixation that were most overstimulated during childhood/developmental stages.
    Isn't that how Oldham styles work? I have my own conceptions of how enneatypes are formed, but I have neither means of providing evidence for my ideas nor counterarguments for yours.

Creepy-pokeball

I think aligning Enneagram or Socionics w/a psychiatric disorder is a dangerous game.