Thread: Iain McGilchrist

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Iain McGilchrist

Iain McGilchrist is a psychiatrist, doctor, writer, and former Oxford literary scholar. McGilchrist came to prominence after the publication of his book The Master and His Emissary, subtitled The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World. [1]

INxx. Probably also Fi/Te valuing.

INTp > INFj > INFp > INTj, IMO.

I realize not many people are going to watch the video(s) but I thought I would make this thread anyway, in case someone does or has - or is familiar with his book. His looping, tumbling manner of speaking reminds me of myself a bit, albeit with a more gratuitous usage of metaphor.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My interest is piqued and the book will be purchased on my next biblio-spree. Having watched the first video last night at your invitation, I'll scrutinize the latter two videos tonight.

As an aside, one amusing development in the RSA series is that the newer videos often contain more densely-packed information and fancier special effects than their early predecessors, which, while entertaining, can draw the attention away from the more vital albeit less glitzy audio content. Since these visual enhancements are likely made possible by production budgets raised in response to the videos' popularity, it can be said that their immediate intelligibility has suffered slightly as a result of their success at attracting an audience. That said, I enjoy the replay value these videos contain and find the project as a whole quite laudable.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The videos require more time to digest before I can provide a decent write-up but I agree with ILI for Gilchrist. In the meantime, an essay and book brought to mind by his investigations (I've yet to read the latter but it looks fucking sweeeeeeeet):

William H. Calvin - Left Brain, Right Brain: Science or the New Phrenology?

Lakoff & Johnson - Philosophy in the Flesh:The Embodied Mind and Its Challenge to Western Thought