Thread: Kim Deal and Black Francis (Pixies)

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kim Deal and Black Francis (Pixies)

Right most: Francis, Left Most: Deal

Left: Francis, Middle: Deal

Black Francis: Si-ISFp?
    Kim Deal: Ne-ENTp?

PS. The first half of Surfer Rosa is the one of the greatest things ever made.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their music has a very compact, collected sound, not sure how else to put it. Each instrument is clearly delineated and given its own space, which may largely be the producer's doing, but I don't think the band released the albums without their consent. This may or may not be type related, but I think it might have some correlation with /. In contrast, / (would) have a more cohesive, fuller sound where everything blends together and connects with each part as an overarching theme, like Nirvana. I think it's interesting to compare how the two bands approached their music because both came out of a similar scene, at a similar time, and Kurt admitted to being directly influenced by the band.

Both Nirvana and Pixies have lyrics that border on nonsensical, but Kurt's writing always stuck me as if the lyrics have an undercurrent of symbolism, like they might seem ridiculous on the surface but they mean something real and personal because they're the contents of his consciousness and the products of his thought-processes. Pixies on the other hand, strike me as weird for the sake of weird, "how can I fuck with people's heads?", intentionally bending the convention and the structure to achieve something new, which is something I correlate with at times.

The Pixies music is also more pop-y, well-rounded and aesthetic, all the chord progressions lead circularly to where they began with nothing hanging in the air, clean and crisp production, except when they're doing mental explorations and experimentation, and while it can be argued that this is mostly not type-related, it strikes me as generally more > .

So my impression of their music is Judicious, Alpha > Delta.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

IMO, I think Black Francis is Se-SEE and Kim Deal is Ne-IEE, I don't think they're duals considering the conflicts they had during the early 90s. Also, Joey Santiago is probably Ni-ILI and David Lovering is Si-SLI. I could be wrong, but this is the initial impression I have of them. The Pixies could be a hybrid Gamma/Delta band with Gamma irrationals taking the front stage and Delta irrationals being in the background.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought their music symbolized EP randomness.

They're a favorite so I'll think about it; don't have any strong ideas of their types at the moment.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guy 1: LSE
    guy 2: LSE
    guy 3: LSE
    girl: SEE

confirmed
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    IMO, I think Black Francis is Se-SEE and Kim Deal is Ne-IEE
    It strikes me as being the other way around, subtypes or not. Kim has definitely more oomph, Frank always came across like a sarcastic baby. Also, there were other people in the band? Who knew.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kim seems distinctly EP temperament. I thought IEE for her before I saw her interviews but now I'm leaning towards some Fe-valuing type, so ILE or SLE. It's possible that the butchness is throwing me off.

Somehow I feel like IEEs and SEEs are more emotionally expressive than that, and not simply by being loud or acting zany which incidentally is something Fe-HA types are prone to doing and come off as goofy because they're not terribly good at it.

Black comes off more introverted and low-key in his interviews, irrational at the very least. My impression was IP > EP and Alpha.

EDIT: upon closer inspection, Black may be EP. Hm.
    Last edited by Radio; 01-09-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opinionics

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    Opinionics
    copout

aren't you supposed to be good at

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    copout
    General critique of type analysis, and certainly not the first time I've said it. Read this http://hij.sagepub.com/content/14/2/212.abstract and then take another gander at the ongoing beta-delta tug of war over Jessica between people who see themselves reflected in her.

aren't you supposed to be good at
    OH NO YOU DI'NT

Fi told Te "Hurry up and fidget impatiently through part of two videos so we can give a flippant opinion and then resume listening to and reading what we really like." Live with it.

EDIT 2:

OK, I watched all of these vids plus a few more and my impression isn't changed. The both come off like irrational extraverts, with Kim showing definite Se and Francis Ne.

Charles has the same mildly slurry speech as gulanzon and BAOxymoron, certainly Ne base types, though he seems to have a decidedly different (i.e. non-Ti argumentative) attitude than those two. He's often neither here nor there in what he's speaking about and his eyes are all over the place. His mode of description frequently hinges on objectified ideas, things that are out there in the ether but not necessarily actualized. He also comes across as slightly flighty, though not terribly so. His lyrics are often purposefully Dada-esque, which smacks of intuition's associativeness.

Kim, on the other hand, has a more even gaze that I associate with Se egos, she's less fidgety, and she's got more of a solid presence. Her speech is more definite and assertive, and she speaks of things largely as if they're grounded in the concreteness of the presently-occupied moment, even when recalling past events: We've got this, it's real, it's in the world, we don't need that, etc. etc. The same sense of direct immediacy and sensually-ascertained imagery of "what it is" appears in her lyrics, and is even echoed in her sentiments favoring analog recording's "realness" to the quantized virtuality of digital recording.

On an interpersonal level I'd probably find Frank somewhat petulant and effeminate, while Kim is rather amusing, reminds me of various close peeps, and seems like someone I'd have fun causing trouble with. So that also inclines me to think she's Gamma SF while he's Delta NF. I'm not seeing any real sign of Fe-ness and so I'm comfortable eliminating both merry quadras.

Based on my own recent personal conflicts with an IEE I would conjecture that Brother Chaz's alleged control issues are tied to a reflexive reification of conceptualized but uncompleted projects, and a tendency to repeatedly renegotiate with people to prod/coax/manipulate them into producing the finished result. I'd likewise guess he's prone, like many an IxE, to frequent changes of mind and plan. This stands in contrast to my experience with SEEs who basically just get shit done and don't really discuss it much or put it up for debate. I can't count the number of times my SEE homeboy used to crack a grin and say TCB - Taking Care of Bidniss. So if I whip all that into the mix it's easy for me to see how SEE/IEE friction could arise from the ongoing collision of realization and mentalization.

I won't bother commenting on the other two band members, whose names I don't consciously recall encountering before this thread came along. Neither of them seems particularly exciting to me, which may or may not be an indication of them being xLI.
    Last edited by Korpsy Knievel; 01-13-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: additions and adjustments

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I'm getting Kim Deal thinks faster than she speaks and tends to speak in an incoherent manner; and Black Francis has very poor facial awareness(and was either pretty nervous or probably has some form of autism).
    Last edited by EyeSeeCold; 01-13-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: missing conjunction
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    It strikes me as being the other way around, subtypes or not. Kim has definitely more oomph, Frank always came across like a sarcastic baby. Also, there were other people in the band? Who knew.
    It could be possible, I'd have to see more interviews of them to see if this fits.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5