Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Fluoride's Health Effects

  1. #1
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,698
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Fluoride's Health Effects

    There are some theories out there that the government puts fluoride in our toothpaste and water supply to pacify the population and dumb us down to keep us better controlled and less aware of their crimes. Personally I think that's debatable, however I think the harm fluoride causes us health wise is not and is worth looking into. I'm curious to see where most of the forum members stand on this issue.

    http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/brain/

    http://fluoridedangers.blogspot.com/...oridation.html




    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  2. #2
    Cat King Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Posts
    736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That second video is a joke, btw.
    Know I'm mistyped?


    Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

    DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

  3. #3
    Ti centric krieger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,983
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    TEH TAP WATER IS NOT SAEF

  4. #4
    Atlast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol ^

    Okay, fluoride is harmful to the human body. It's simply and irrefutably poison (with conditions), the chemical's specs are available online. It's no secret. But there are numerous studies supporting its beneficial hygienic effects, and it comes in different amounts/harm that doesn't scale linearly (just like all things).

    A word of advice, however. I switch off fluoride 6 months ago, teeth are clean, come back to dentist yesterday, have a cavity. Don't switch unless you're damn sure about everything hygiene wise. However, I haven't gotten fluoride treatments from the dentist in a while now, that's just too much exposure. To remove it from drinking is to expend a great deal of money distilling or filtering. I like to set up solar distillers in my front/back yard to get clean water, but that's in part because the municipal water here is very questionable.

    I stand at not caring that it's in the toothpaste because it probably does have some beneficial hygienic effects, and there exist alternatives for the wily consumer - but there is no excuse for distributing something that is poisonous in some ways (although arguably beneficial in others) into the public's drinking water. That's positively ridiculous and absurd and makes me wonder what-the-fuck-else is in there.

  5. #5
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058
    http://hw.libsyn.com/p/9/4/0/9400734...&l_mid=1406398


    As has been mentioned, the only health effect fluoride fear-mongering has caused is an increase in cavities. There are Zero victims of death by fluoride.
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  6. #6
    Atlast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4058
    http://hw.libsyn.com/p/9/4/0/9400734...&l_mid=1406398


    As has been mentioned, the only health effect fluoride fear-mongering has caused is an increase in cavities. There are Zero victims of death by fluoride.
    Doesn't mean it's safe to dump into the water supply. Ingestion is still not good for you. Again - the chem's specs are publicly available, this cannot be denied. It's just that there's a fuckton of other shit that is poisonous to our bodies that is found in common grocery goods and blablabla, it's just not really a big deal comparatively and shouldn't get any more attention then those products that are ignored. My problem with fluoride in the water is because I can choose not to buy those products, but what the hell can I do now, in the public water supply lol

  7. #7
    Cat King Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    TIM
    IIEE so/sp 4w5
    Posts
    736
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can choose to filter your water with a cheap water filter jug from your local walmart or w/e if it matters that much to you.
    Know I'm mistyped?


    Why I am now.
    Why I was , once.

    DISCLAIMER
    The statements expressed in this signature may not necessarily reflect reality.

  8. #8
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    As has been mentioned, the only health effect fluoride fear-mongering has caused is an increase in cavities. There are Zero victims of death by fluoride.
    By normal (toothpaste, water in developed countries, medicines reasonably used) exposure to fluoride, you mean. It is poisonous in high doses, and it seems people have died from it.

  9. #9
    Crispy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    (faucet) fluoride
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

  10. #10
    ._. Aiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    TIM
    IEI
    Posts
    2,015
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlast View Post
    Doesn't mean it's safe to dump into the water supply. Ingestion is still not good for you. Again - the chem's specs are publicly available, this cannot be denied. It's just that there's a fuckton of other shit that is poisonous to our bodies that is found in common grocery goods and blablabla, it's just not really a big deal comparatively and shouldn't get any more attention then those products that are ignored. My problem with fluoride in the water is because I can choose not to buy those products, but what the hell can I do now, in the public water supply lol
    did you even read what he linked? i doubt it, for if you had, you'd have known the level is *adjusted*, not just "dumped". iow, in some cases it's defluoridation, because too much is, well, bad.

  11. #11
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is such an old issue.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  12. #12
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Thanks BG. So many things feel like déjà vu or time travel these days.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    State College, PA, USA
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    837
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    fluoride sux. i'll write more when i have time. this is just my way of subscribing to the thread so that i can remember it later. la la la.

  14. #14
    Atlast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post
    did you even read what he linked? i doubt it, for if you had, you'd have known the level is *adjusted*, not just "dumped". iow, in some cases it's defluoridation, because too much is, well, bad.
    I'm sorry for using the word dumped - I can see how that would be misleading. Yeah, I've read it, but the heart of my objection isn't that there isn't sufficient scientific evidence, or that there is contrary evidence, or it's not being closely watched or anything like that - I'm sure there are very experienced and educated people overseeing its use, and I've seen plenty of studies indicating its beneficial effects on our teeth only in small amounts. It's just that those good facts don't change the negative fact that it is indisputably harmful to ingest and that it is being forced upon us. Old issue or not.

    Many present don't seem to care about the potential physiological effects of fluoride, so put yourselves in my shoes if only to raise your tolerance; consider a situation in which the government mandates that harmful preservatives be put into all food products sold in the US 'for the good of the nation'. Sure, it increases the health of teeth longevity of our food supply, but comes at the cost of a forced health concern for our bodies - and the government offers no alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    You can choose to filter your water with a cheap water filter jug from your local walmart or w/e if it matters that much to you.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what research I've done, I've gathered that this doesn't work and it requires the use of expensive filtration systems that must be regularly replaced.

  15. #15
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,698
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlast View Post
    I stand at not caring that it's in the toothpaste because it probably does have some beneficial hygienic effects, and there exist alternatives for the wily consumer - but there is no excuse for distributing something that is poisonous in some ways (although arguably beneficial in others) into the public's drinking water. That's positively ridiculous and absurd and makes me wonder what-the-fuck-else is in there.
    That's my main gist with this fluoride issue is that we do not have the choice to cease ingesting it because it is in our water supply. I could care less if its in our toothpaste because we could always use non-fluoridated toothpaste, baking soda or other alternatives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cat King Cole View Post
    You can choose to filter your water with a cheap water filter jug from your local walmart or w/e if it matters that much to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Atlast View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what research I've done, I've gathered that this doesn't work and it requires the use of expensive filtration systems that must be regularly replaced.
    No you're correct, the vast majority of water filters are simply not good enough to filter out fluoride. You'd need a very expensive water filtration system that could cost you an exorbitant amount of money, which wouldn't be worth it for most people. Even built in water filtration systems will not be enough to remove the fluoride.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  16. #16
    Haikus Beautiful sky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    EII land
    TIM
    EII INFj
    Posts
    22,740
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fluoride is the least of our worries; we should be more concerned about surfactants in our water supply.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •