Thread: Are you responsible for helping others deal with their problems?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Are you responsible for helping others deal with their problems?

The way I see it, I can only expect to get others' help with my problems if I am willing to help them with theirs.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Are you responsible for helping others deal with their problems?
    Only in three types of circumstances.

1: They ask me to and I agree to.

2: I am responsible for them.

3: I am responsible for their problems.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I responsible as a moral imperative? I don't think so.

If they ask? I think it's ethical to help out where possible.

Do they ever ask? Can't think of a recent case, really; most people seem to prefer enabling sympathy. I suppose that fits the letter of the OP, but not the spirit in which I interpret it.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

It doesn't really work like that.

I had a good social worker. She just listened and didn't judge, and gave good non-judgmental advice. She also didn't sociopathically make fun of me for my problems and she showed a lot of empathy. That's what any therapist should do.

Just knowing there are a few people that have empathy for me and aren't out to get me makes me feel relieved. I always feel like the world is out to get me sometimes and I feel like too much I'll be stuck being the empathetic one all the time, which naturally makes anybody feel like a pussy. Instead of understanding and loving, most people just make me fight. Either them or something else. It's nice when you meet one of those rare souls that is actually a healer.

But during the time I didn't expect that she would open up to me (and she didn't) because that's not really what our roles were. I was going to her for help and support, she wasn't going to me for that way.

BBL. I have to do some errands.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

no. it might be really shitty to blow people off in some circumstances but ultimately its not your responsibility in an absolute kind of way.

thinking that way is a good way to create bad situations for yourself and drive yourself crazy. and expecting help from everyone you've ever helped is a horrible idea because not everyone has the same values and people have mismatched views of the same relationship and how much energy has been spent by either party and everything.