Basically what I've gleaned from my own personal development is that there is a time and a place for using an information element - and the key to self-actualization is to know what that is. The obstacles to this are the natural fear of using the weak functions plus the overconfidence of the strong functions. People's instincts tell them to use the strong functions way more than the weak functions, but this can lead you to using them at inappropriate times. Rick mentioned examples of this in "Developing the Super-Ego": e.g., sometimes it's necessary for a type to express compassion, rather than being an impersonal judge - or for a type to, say, be appreciative of someone's emotional state. The key is to overcome bad habits, which one can do through constant effort to enact good habits, and, as I have done, through use of meditative techniques.

Over the years my meditation and spiritual work have eliminated or at least quieted a whole bunch of those voices in my head: the voices of Fear, of Laziness, of Self-deprecation, of Irritability, of Cynicality, of Doubt, etc. Instead I listen (as much as I can) to the voices of Morality, of Selflessness, of Hard Work, of Friendliness, of Honesty. This is a long process and for many it can take a whole life. Always try to improve yourself!!! You can do it if you really want to do it and persevere!