Thread: genes and environment

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default genes and environment

genes don't necessarily determine your characteristics. the interaction between genes and the environment plays a significant part.

nature vs. nurture is a false dichotomy and genes are switched on and off by the environment you're placed in. oftentimes the environment can compensate for deficits.

^ enjoy

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus.
    This is so depressing.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    Jesus.
    This is so depressing.
    well the silver lining is that we can change how genes are expressed by making a better society.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

This makes me think about this Stanford course, that I highly recommend... Sapolsky is just incredible:
    https://www.youtube.com/course?list=EC848F2368C90DDC3D

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemontrees View Post
    Jesus.
    This is so depressing.
    really? i thought it was too optimistic especially towards the end when they talked about societies without violence

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like a dichotomies inherent purpose is to highlight the gray area with the notation of black and white. I would say all dichotomies are false if this qualifies as false. Everyone knows both nurture and nature affect you.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    / / /
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    really? i thought it was too optimistic especially towards the end when they talked about societies without violence
    I think it made me sad that early childhood development can affect people in these spiraling ways throughout the course of their life. Of course this is common sense, but the fact that it affects you even genetically seems to be irrevocable.

However, if you take all that as a given I do think that the video at large has more optimistic tendencies, especially the way the video is directed towards dealing with this phenomenon in a "big" way (not so focused on changing the lives of specific populations of individual people) and towards vaguely imagining an ideal. I think I liked that part though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    well the silver lining is that we can change how genes are expressed by making a better society.
    did you mean a better oligarchic dynasty that only us in the know are in on.

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    did you mean a better oligarchic dynasty that only us in the know are in on.
    yeah