Thread: tactically advantageous positions

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default tactically advantageous positions

I remember there being an "Is It Type Related" subforum at some point. That would have been a more appropriate place for this topic, but whatever.

I find that I always consciously consider what the most tactically advantageous position in my surroundings is. Back to walls, away from corners, facing enterances, everyone in peripheral vision, valuables and people I've deemed as potential threats in clear sight, etc. I can allow myself a disadvantageous position without much discomfort if doing otherwise would require being awkward or inconveniencing people.

I do think about it though.

I've also found that when dangerous situations appear, no matter what I've decided I would do in advance should such a situation occur or what the safest thing for me to do would be, I always end up running right into the situation with whatever makeshift weapon may be around me.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a case of post traumatic stress. Did you fight in Vietnam?
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post

"Ninja" = Tunnel Vision + Ballistic
    Method: Spraying / Free-For-All
    Strength: Multiple targets + upfront
    Weakness: One target + faraway

Ballistic = Always scanning the area(not knowing what to look for; seeing everything)
    Tunnel Vision = Tending towards closer objects.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah could be PTSD. Are you traumatized?

Creepy-Snaps

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    I remember there being an "Is It Type Related" subforum at some point. That would have been a more appropriate place for this topic, but whatever.

I find that I always consciously consider what the most tactically advantageous position in my surroundings is. Back to walls, away from corners, facing enterances, everyone in peripheral vision, valuables and people I've deemed as potential threats in clear sight, etc. I can allow myself a disadvantageous position without much discomfort if doing otherwise would require being awkward or inconveniencing people.

I do think about it though.

I've also found that when dangerous situations appear, no matter what I've decided I would do in advance should such a situation occur or what the safest thing for me to do would be, I always end up running right into the situation with whatever makeshift weapon may be around me.
    It's not PSTD as others are saying, it's Se, I relate to this completely.

I also take notice of chairs, bottles, utensils, anything and everything can be used as a weapon. I pay attention to the direction people are facing too, to see if I can surprise them or throw them off balance if need be. Any posts or corners or desks which can be used to shield against projectiles. I do feel very in-tune with my environment, and am constantly watching how things develop, changes in my environment.

As far as the facing potential threats, I practically *never* turn my back to anyone in my environment. Not unless I'm already walking or moving, and can easily hear/peripherally see an oncoming attacker from behind. In this regard, I always err on the side of being socially awkward, usually joking somehow to excuse it, and being safe.

In restaurants, always facing the entrance, or windows, to see people entering. Always scanning for exits, should there be an emergency. Thinking about what objects I could use to throw in certain directions or angles if I need to cause a distraction, or attack somebody who's threatening me and/or the rest of the group.

... I can understand how this may sound stressful to those who don't do it, but it's just something that comes very naturally. And very quickly when you do it all the time.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just look for weak points in everyone I meet.

Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it just comes naturally. It's not stressful or unpleasant.
    SEE

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I've noticed SLEs and LSIs do tend to give off that vibe as if they don't trust anybody, LSIs more so. I have never considered it in more depth, but perhaps it is because of this kind of behavior, and subsequently body language it yields, that you're describing. I'm thinking it is not just Se but combination of Se and Ti in the ego. SEEs and ESIs don't seem to do this.

This last one I do too, but only I usually think about some large scale disasters like earthquakes or fires or this bridge I'm driving across breaking down and falling into water or collapse of government and mass unrest. I don't consider this much during regular everyday situations like going to a movie theater or going to eat out or just walking along the streets.

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    As far as the facing potential threats, I practically *never* turn my back to anyone in my environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I've noticed SLEs and LSIs do tend to give off that vibe as if they don't trust anybody, LSIs more so.
    Oh man, did I know a paranoid SLE. I swear he checked his peripherals every few moments. Dual Seeking? Or protecting a ghost IEI?
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe you're crazy?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default x

Seriously guys

I had never read what runs in a mind. At the beginning, I thought "that's insane!". But if MDew concurs with you that this is a typical SLE approach to "life", I guess Joy's post makes sense. I can recall situations in which Se egos label Ne egos as crazy: for instance, evaluating the potential of situations or talking about alternative scenarios, etc.

If anything, your reaction to Joy's post can help clarify whether or not you are Se leading.

BTW, did you enjoy Vietnam Joy?
    Last edited by 1981slater; 04-09-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psh I'm not Se ego and I think that way a lot.

Not flaunt my myriad street cred, but, If you've spent enough time in the ghetto a lot of that ought to be obvious.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* ok, let's see if it's type related or not. Everyone who has done this or routinely does this raise their hands.

Me, I've done this. I think it's just good sense to be aware of your surroundings in very strict survivalist terms. I'm not Se. I will say that it's not a constant mode or anything, it's just something I think of from time to time, especially regarding places I'll find myself often or soon.

Wow, I'm drunk. o_0
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
    It's not PSTD as others are saying, it's Se, I relate to this completely.

I also take notice of chairs, bottles, utensils, anything and everything can be used as a weapon. I pay attention to the direction people are facing too, to see if I can surprise them or throw them off balance if need be. Any posts or corners or desks which can be used to shield against projectiles. I do feel very in-tune with my environment, and am constantly watching how things develop, changes in my environment.

As far as the facing potential threats, I practically *never* turn my back to anyone in my environment. Not unless I'm already walking or moving, and can easily hear/peripherally see an oncoming attacker from behind. In this regard, I always err on the side of being socially awkward, usually joking somehow to excuse it, and being safe.

In restaurants, always facing the entrance, or windows, to see people entering. Always scanning for exits, should there be an emergency. Thinking about what objects I could use to throw in certain directions or angles if I need to cause a distraction, or attack somebody who's threatening me and/or the rest of the group.

... I can understand how this may sound stressful to those who don't do it, but it's just something that comes very naturally. And very quickly when you do it all the time.

I sit with my back to walls and maintain situational awareness as well. And it isn't Se. That doesn't come into play until I'm actually killing zombie nazi ninja pirates with a salt shaker in a deftly controlled fashion.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lmao Red Dwarf I love it!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or been to gay bar?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having a lot of trouble relating to a lot of these precautionary measures.

Time to type myself the Ti-LSI subtype or even move myself to the LII?

Edit: when I see an obvious threat, I do look for an escape route or barriers in order to increase escape time. Doesn't everyone do this when faced with a clear threat? I don't tend to plan counterattacks.
    Last edited by Ozz; 04-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mm, actually, I tend to do this, as well. I tended to be the caretaker and protector of, for example, my IEI best friend when we were teenagers and she was in need of that help from me. I was always monitoring the environment and the social situation, and thinking ahead to the consequences and ramifications of her wacky shit, lol.

However, I noticed this scanning-for-threats thing getting really strongly underway once I had a child, so in that sense I'd say it's probably N so TR.

And yes, it's not really stressful. I'd feel more stressed out if I were not doing it, I think.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting... when in a crowded room, i also tend to sit at the periphery so that I can see everyone, but my reason is not for self-protection, but because I want to see who's there, who's new, who do i know, who do i not know, and in case i get bored i can just people-watch (or leave).
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Se has more to do with efficacy in a more general sense..about what signifies power or attractiveness in both direct and indirect ways. Anything entailing Steven Seagal-like hyper vigilance is only secondary. It may not even emerge in some people's lifestyles as necessary to their ends. They may be a 10 year old schoolgirl who's more popular or makes more impact than others, for various sensory related reasons that go beyond just her surveying of the direct environment (but the social landscape in general). Not that a Se ego wouldn't be vigilant, they could.. Yet, ironically, another type would tell themselves "this makes me look goofy and paranoid". And if it made them look ridiculous, they'd go about some other way of empowering themselves.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Joy. You mentioned earlier to me that you grew up in a ghetto, rough neighborhood didn't you? That's why you do this and it has nothing to do with your type. If you grew up in an affluent area, where people are almost always more social and friendly to each other, then you wouldn't feel a need to do this so much. Environmental imprinting during childhood is incredibly potent.

Yeah, it just comes naturally. It's not stressful or unpleasant.
    You are so weird. I'm with crispy. How could what you said be (in any way) taken as something that isn't negative? Unless you enjoy fighting people for sport? That's different (and not a bad thing, you might just have a competitive spirit), but what you're describing just sounds like ghetto survival stuff to me. I mean guns were designed to kill. You're supposed to be afraid of them, that's kinda the point.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    *sigh* ok, let's see if it's type related or not. Everyone who has done this or routinely does this raise their hands.

Me, I've done this. I think it's just good sense to be aware of your surroundings in very strict survivalist terms. I'm not Se. I will say that it's not a constant mode or anything, it's just something I think of from time to time, especially regarding places I'll find myself often or soon.

Wow, I'm drunk. o_0
    I'm aware of my surroundings enough to always be aware of people, objects, layout of the room, movements, etc. but i definitely do not think constantly about what shit i can use as a weapon... thats fucking weird to be doing in casual social situations you creepy people. i wouldn't want to be around any of you, eyeing forks and stuff while you engage me with the weather or such nonsense. my god. now i do live in a sketchy area, i mean there was just a stabbing in front of my apt entrance last month, so i'm used to being alert to weird people when i'm alone at night, etc. if someone is a threat i simply get away in the most efficient way possible, find something on my person to use to protect myself if need be, those sort of things. but most of you sound paranoid, not maybe

wow, i'm high (;
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't grow up in the ghetto. I grew up on the edge of a small town. I did live in the ghetto for 5-ish years though as an adult, but I live in a safe area now and have for like two and a half years. Being a mother may have something to do with it. This sense is always there, but it does tend to extend to the people in there with, particularly those I care about. I'm always ready to protect them, particularly kids or INxx types. I've only been in one real physical struggle since I was a kid, and it was after this developed. I think it's always been there to some extent, but as a teenager it was stronger than as a kid, and it's gotten stronger since then as time goes by. My mom (LSI) has also said that she prefers not to sit with her back to the door, but we've never really talked about it.

I don't scan the room for potential weapons unless I sense a threat, fwiw.
    SEE

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, well I have to admit for me it's more of a fun imagination game, like in case of zombie apocalypse. Less so stabbing people in eyes with forks.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exempting other explanations such as personal history, mental disorders, environment, interests, etc., sounds to me like it could be (loosely?) related to type. I certainly can't identify with that, anyway.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is type related. It's gotta be somehow related to Se/Si. I pay almost NO attention to this sort of thing. Why would I? Who's going to be attacking me? Why would there be a threat? If I'm in someone's way, they can ask me to move. lol I seriously never think about it. MAYBE if there's a pretty view out the window, I might wanna sit there, but that's not a tactical thing, it's an aesthetic thing.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i always try to sit with my back to a wall because i just feel a vague sense of being less vulnerable that way, but i've never consciously thought of it as some kind of physical defense strategy to protect myself from attackers. and yeah the looking for weapons thing does seem kinda weird to me unless you have ptsd or something.

Quote Originally Posted by k0rpsey View Post
    I sit with my back to walls and maintain situational awareness as well. And it isn't Se. That doesn't come into play until I'm actually killing zombie nazi ninja pirates with a salt shaker in a deftly controlled fashion.
    lmao

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Be polite, Be professional, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I just remembered there was one other physical struggle... One time at a party an SLE friend of mine (though we weren't really friends at the time) grabbed me and I instantly responded with physical aggression. Turns out he liked to wrestle and was so messed up he thought it was a game and we got into a bit of a wrestling match for a few minutes until he backed down... later he didn't remember it happening. My mindset at the time was similar to the way you put an ill-mannered dog on it's back to put him in his place.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had I put more thought into it, I would have just told him not to do that again and then yelled "back the fuck off, don't touch me" if he had continued and let the social ramifcations of groping a girl who's protesting in front of a group of people settle things. >_<

Funny thing was one of my IEI saw everything and his only response was "whoa, you guys are serious... you should take it outside" (because we were knocking over tables and stuff, lol).
    SEE

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    "Be polite, Be professional, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    Haha, an old roommate of mine used to say, "Speak softly, and carry a big stick."
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to sit with my back to a wall where I can see people coming in the entrance too. I vote NTR.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the subject of restaurants came up ...

I remember reading an article long, long ago that reported on a study of human behavior while eating; it found that people scan the horizon a certain percentage of the time during meals, just as some animals/herds do when grazing/foraging.

Maybe some people are more threat-vigilant more often than others--maybe there is some vague relation to ... who knows what ... temperament, or to life situation (another person is often around to be on watch; there are kids to protect). But obvs that's only speculation.
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that reminds me of how annoyed I used to be when eating with my ESE husband back when we were dating in college when I would watch his eyes wander around the room, trying to see who was there, who was just arriving, etc. It was so distracting and made me feel like he wasn't paying attention. He kinda does that at parties too. I think it's disrespectful to not have your full attention on the person you're talking to.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    that reminds me of how annoyed I used to be when eating with my ESE husband back when we were dating in college when I would watch his eyes wander around the room, trying to see who was there, who was just arriving, etc. It was so distracting and made me feel like he wasn't paying attention. He kinda does that at parties too. I think it's disrespectful to not have your full attention on the person you're talking to.
    What? I was looking at another part of the screen
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    What? I was looking at another part of the screen
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm more peripherally observant, though I probably glance around a bit. That's why it helps to be seated in the right place!
    SEE

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I did live in the ghetto for 5-ish years though as an adult, but I live in a safe area now and have for like two and a half years. Being a mother may have something to do with it. This sense is always there, but it does tend to extend to the people in there with, particularly those I care about. I'm always ready to protect them, particularly kids or INxx types.
    Well that's cute, and definitely sounds heroic and humane. I do love to be protected, especially because I have social anxiety that's hard to get over. But I mean, I wonder if the best thing you can do for people is to simply force them to fend for themselves instead of take care of them. I may be a meek shy baby ******, but you know everybody has to care of themselves, and what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. ((Although actually that saying always annoyed me, as I'm not sure if it's always logically true or not. Depends on what people mean by strength I guess.))

I'm practically psychic with how intuitive I am, I use that to my natural advantage.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree that people are responsible for their own lives, but what I'm talking about comes so naturally and automatically and easily that it would be more work for me *not* to do it. (:
    SEE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast