Hybrid View

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Welcome to the Post Peak-Oil World

A world where fewer and fewer people fly, and their radius of travel shrinks. A world where electric cars are "on the brink" of replacing gasoline, but nobody has money to buy them. A world where the invisible hand of the market -- or is it the government? -- failed to step in at just the right moment to save the day. A world where people walk away from houses bought just a few years earlier and move in with relatives. A world where domestic politics is dominated by food and fuel prices. A world where college grads find the jobs they trained for no longer exist. A world where people refuse to accept that things have changed and insist that the glory days could have been preserved if it weren't for the politics of party X or Y, or of politician Z. A world where the U.S. is increasingly irrelevant outside of North America and arouses pity among Europeans. A world where Africans are aggressively desperate to get to Europe, and Europeans aggressively defensive. A world where free-market capitalism becomes the butt of jokes, and economists slowly realize they have been taught an ideology, not a science. A world where people increasingly escape into the dream world of the Internet and entertainment and give up traditional ambitions. A world of growing separatism within the U.S. and helpless and comical Federal government. A world where the values of the past 200 years are overturned, but legislation is not adapted to the new reality and a whole generation passes before new institutions and legislation are instated that are adequate for the new conditions.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A world where it costs $50 to fill up my tank! And I used to be a news junkie and I don't read or watch the news anymore. Pointless.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SHIT

EVERYTHING SUCKS
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    A world where fewer and fewer people fly, and their radius of travel shrinks. A world where electric cars are "on the brink" of replacing gasoline, but nobody has money to buy them. A world where the invisible hand of the market -- or is it the government? -- failed to step in at just the right moment to save the day. A world where people walk away from houses bought just a few years earlier and move in with relatives. A world where domestic politics is dominated by food and fuel prices. A world where college grads find the jobs they trained for no longer exist. A world where people refuse to accept that things have changed and insist that the glory days could have been preserved if it weren't for the politics of party X or Y, or of politician Z. A world where the U.S. is increasingly irrelevant outside of North America and arouses pity among Europeans. A world where Africans are aggressively desperate to get to Europe, and Europeans aggressively defensive. A world where free-market capitalism becomes the butt of jokes, and economists slowly realize they have been taught an ideology, not a science. A world where people increasingly escape into the dream world of the Internet and entertainment and give up traditional ambitions. A world of growing separatism within the U.S. and helpless and comical Federal government. A world where the values of the past 200 years are overturned, but legislation is not adapted to the new reality and a whole generation passes before new institutions and legislation are instated that are adequate for the new conditions.
    You may be on to something here. But tell me: if people are retreating into entertainment, then how can they be arguing over government enough to create separatist movements?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    You may be on to something here. But tell me: if people are retreating into entertainment, then how can they be arguing over government enough to create separatist movements?
    Because there's a fuckton of people?

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

Maybe 2012 is fo real, y'all.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Because there's a fuckton of people?
    You're not seeing the big picture. The two directions are mutually exclusive. There is a divide amongst the people and they are going in two directions.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    You're not seeing the big picture. The two directions are mutually exclusive. There is a divide amongst the people and they are going in two directions.
    You know, despite common counter-culture dogma, people are not complete sheep.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick, what do you think about the Canadian oil resources? Is it not true that with current technology there is enough accessible oil in the oil sands to meet the needs of the economy, albeit at a somewhat increased price? A friend of mine pointed out that Canada is already one of the biggest exporters of oil to the U.S.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Solution:
    http://www.thevenusproject.com/
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are their short term solutions..?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    what are their short term solutions..?
    Currently activism and the spread of ideas and knowledge about the current world situation (not really solutions). I'm pretty sure it's the long term solution that matters most however
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Currently activism and the spread of ideas and knowledge about the current world situation (not really solutions). I'm pretty sure it's the long term solution that matters most however
    There IS no long-term solution without a short term one, though.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    There IS no long-term solution without a short term one, though.
    Found where Peter Joseph talks about the hypothetical transition:
    Starts at 7:04 here:

Continues here:

As an aside, any guesses on Peter's type?
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't the original text of the comment.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: The 'taboo subjects thread' probably has something to do with this.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might as well write something about peak oil itself, instead of just asking particular people the ways in which the belief in peak oil is affecting their life decisions. Everyone else is doing a fine job of arguing about it without me, although I didn't see anyone mention Julian Simon yet (maybe someone did - I'd have to go look back), and no, I don't agree with every single word Julian Simon ever wrote, but I agree with most of his main ideas.

But here is my opinion about peak oil. I see peak oil as an apocalypse fantasy. I see it as wishful thinking. If only some huge natural force would destroy all of society, we wouldn't have to worry about expending all the effort it takes to persuade people to do things differently. If only something destroyed the world and got rid of large numbers of people or drastically changed everything, then all of a sudden, the world would be a nice, clean, peaceful place again, where we could start our own societies from scratch without having to worry about all those people we used to have conflicts with, such as the various governments. And this would happen effortlessly, as it was caused by some huge natural force, such as the lack of any more oil in the ground.

Apocalypses 'clean up' the world as it is now, without our having to expend any effort to clean it up or negotiate with people who are in conflict with us. We don't have to persuade anybody, because some force will do the work for us. We don't have to dread a long, depressing future in which people endure stagnant conditions that don't really improve and don't really worsen that much either. We can hope that something will force us all to change whether we like it or not, because we feel that change as such is a good thing. Even if the changes cause pain at first, eventually we will recover from the changes and start our society over from a clean beginning.

Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have lots of auto exhaust pollution anymore? I agree with that. I hate air pollution and I feel better when I live far away from any big roads.

Our whole society would be shaped differently if we couldn't easily get in our cars and drive long distances. Houses would be closer together, and houses would be close to places where people shop. We'd have to get rid of the zoning laws that forbid people to put their houses in the same areas where the businesses are. Those zoning laws force people to live far away from the places where they shop. People would be able to shop at small outdoor markets close to their houses. It sounds like a nice place to live.

People don't like the idea that society is able to be stagnant for a very, very, very long time, while people endure being nickel-and-dimed to death. People want something to force us to change.

So, one of the reasons why I don't believe in peak oil is because it's too tempting to believe in it. There are too many wishful thinking motives in it. It's a comforting, reassuring belief that people can hold on to during all those moments when they hate the world. It's similar to religious apocalypse scenarios where all the sinners will be destroyed, so that we don't have to be bothered by them anymore. If only peak oil would happen, then something would force people to change the way they do everything, so that we wouldn't just sit here in a stagnant society where nothing really gets better or worse.

Without peak oil, without that hope that some external force will change everything, we look at an unbearably long and dull future where people continue struggling in a stagnant world that doesn't change or improve very much. It just keeps going on and on and on that way. People are impatient to see changes. We feel helpless to change anything ourselves. Wouldn't it be nice if some big natural force would change everything? It doesn't matter if it's peak oil or some other natural event.

It's this kind of thing that made me so interested in intentional communities. I can't force the rest of the world to change what they're doing, no matter how much I hate it all. The thing I can do is start up one tiny group of people who will be creating the type of world I want to live in.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Retmeishka View Post
    I see peak oil as an apocalypse fantasy. I see it as wishful thinking...
    There is certainly something to what you are saying, but this is true of all (or most?) visions of the future. A future of "unending technological progress" is also a kind of easy way out. If one can believe there are no potentially disastrous environmental threats/limits facing us, then that's a whole set of anxiety-causing things that one can ignore. "Apocalypse fantasies" are probably created by pessimists who are comfortable thinking about negative outcomes, and "progress/success fantasies" are created by optimists who have difficulty thinking about unknown negatives. Just a hypothesis...

But either way, the future comes and is sometimes positive, sometimes negative. Some of these fantasies come true. If anyone was fantasizing about genocide in Europe, well, they certainly got their "wish" in the 20th century. The pessimist that I am, I think they'll see more of it in the 21st century, too.

The people I know who are "into" Peak Oil aren't into it because the are eager to see the Earth or society wiped clean. They are into it because of a naturally pessimistic view of technological progress. They derive satisfaction from learning about all the possible ways that things could get worse. This has a biological basis (better preparation for possible negative events compared to the overly optimistic). They don't necessarily think they personally will fare better than others in a post-Peak Oil world or that Peak Oil will allow them to "get back" at all the people who are doing things wrong (though there often is an element of this). Some are complete doomers and see no silver lining in the Peak Oil Doom. Many are actively trying to prepare themselves and their family and friends for shocks. I don't know of religious apocalypse scenarios where everyone gets killed, including you. Generally it's just the bad guys that have to suffer. I see the Peak Oil movement as a natural expression of the biological tendency to foresee possible negative consequences and prepare against them.

Again, I take issue with the way you talk about Peak Oil, as if it's something that can be believed in or disbelieved.

Imagine you have an unknown but finite amount of bread loaves in a bin and start removing them at a steadily increasing rate. Eventually the bread that was on top has all been removed and you have to start leaning in further to get the loaves. This slows your extraction speed a bit. You still see lots of loaves left in the bottom of the bin and so are not worried that the bread will run out anytime soon. It just might be a bit more difficult to reach. Meanwhile, an analyst is observing on the outside that the number of people surrounding the bread bin has increased along with the bread extraction rate. The analyst starts thinking deeply and concludes that the critical moment in the evolution of this system is not the point when the last loaves are taken out of the bin, but the point when the rate of extraction begins to drop. He starts thinking about the possible cascading effects of a diminishing extraction rate. Will the feeders start encouraging the person removing the bread to speed up the process? Perhaps they'll start sharing the remaining bread amongst themselves in an orderly way? Or maybe the stronger people will take the diminishing supply of bread for themselves, and the weaker will go hungry? Or maybe they'll just start looking around for another bread bin and leave the current one as the bread is depleted? But what if there isn't another bin, or the bread in it can't be extracted at the same rate as the first?

That's Peak Oil in a nutshell. You can't just dismiss it as a fantasy or myth. It is happening, and there will be an outcome. It might be different from what you or I happen to think.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another big off-topic post.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:26 PM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is happening to me right now. It is happening again.
    There is a solution. Don't use e-mail to build relationships... And don't let yourself get attached to people you have never met in person or will never meet. Virtual relationships do not provide the full set of neurotransmitters one needs to feel balanced (I can dig up research if it's not self-evident). They're basically a waste of time if you're trying to do anything more than gather information and get ideas. You can't make these relationships part of the inner circle of your social environment. Well, I suppose you can, but only with lots of negative side-effects. The most you can hope for out of a virtual relationship are some good ideas, a bit of comraderie, and useful new information and contacts. Expecting more is asking for trouble.

Another rule of thumb for any type of relationship is, don't let your level of self-disclosure exceed the other person's by, say, 10%. A noticeable disbalance will cause the relationship to fall apart. Even psychotherapists have to self-disclose to their patients to keep the relationship more or less balanced and healthy. If you disclose too much before the other person has followed suit, the other person distances themself. It's as simple as that.

I get lots of e-mail every week, even after removing the spam. I respond to about 20% of it promptly, 30% with a delay of up to several weeks, and 50% after months or simply never. If I made myself the slave of my e-mail, I would never get anything important done. Not answering e-mail is not "rejection." It's simply self-preservation.

As to your blog posts, I got them all (I assume), but was perplexed that they were not showing up on the socionist blog. I assumed that you were posting them then deleting because they felt too personal to you. I have not seen this happen with other posters. If you would like I can send these back to you and you can try posting them again.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here we go again.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.

Creepy-bg

Pardon the sloppy grammar tonight - I am having one of my chemical sensitivity induced mood swings. You will notice phases of relatively quiet and normal behavior alternating with days of extremely weird behavior, such as mania, and obsessiveness, and laughing too much and not being able to stop laughing, which is what happened after I read some of the things you were saying. In the real world, in a social environment, I don't talk the way I do online, and my online writing is more noticeably changed by the mood swings than my real world speaking is. I write WAAAAYYYYYYYYYY too much and too constantly, and it is only made worse by my having these reactions, and it is made even worse by talking to someone who actually answers.

You said that unbalanced or, I could call it, asymmetrical degrees of self-disclosure can cause one person to pull away. I kind of agree with that. Some of it depends on the context, and we're talking in a forum.

I chose to come to this forum because here, you would feel peer pressure to reply to me, whereas in email, nobody will notice if you ignore my emails. In the forum, I can potentially lower your social status if I say something that you are unwilling or unable to reply to. (Do I WANT to damage your reputation in some way, no.) It would be obvious to everyone that you avoided this or that. As long as my verbal confrontations were not so severe that they broke forum rules and were too abusive in some way, it would be viewed as a legitimate discussion in which I could rightfully expect an answer. ('Being weird' as such doesn't really break the forum rules.) So you are more likely to dutifully reply when I say something, because I'm saying it in front of a whole bunch of people and we can't pretend it hasn't been said.

I suppose you could click 'ignore member' or whatever that thing is - I'm offline and I'm not looking at it, but I think there's a way to stop seeing forum posts by a particular person.

You said that you give a delayed reply, or sometimes no reply at all, to many emails, because you receive a very large number of them, and yes, that would cause you to spend all day long doing nothing but answering emails, which would lead to more emails being sent back to you in return as it simply encouraged people to think they could get personal email replies from you, as a free service. I was actually surprised when I got an answer and I was like 'Wow! I got a reply!!!'

I had already figured out the thing about writing letters on paper, and have done that several times when it was necessary. That was just one of many parallels that I saw between my life and the things you had written on your various websites. There were several other similarities, but some of the things you did had a different cause or motive in your life than they did in my life.

I suppose I could go back to thinking about peak oil, but I would have to do a little rereading. As long as this post has the phrase 'peak oil' in it, then maybe it counts as being on-topic. It is still off-topic for being inappropriately personal in the middle of a public forum. This won't be as much of a problem in a couple of weeks because I won't have an internet connection at home anymore, and will have to use wi-fi or the library computers - yet another one of the similarities.

It turned out that the grammar wasn't too bad. I thought I would have a hard time writing. I will try to reread some now and go back to the topic. The next post from me really will be about peak oil. It will most likely be dull and boring anyway and not all that funny or weird, although sometimes, I don't know when I'm saying something that's funny or weird.
    you're creepy.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    you're creepy.
    And YOU are an emotionally laden epithet. Yes, I'm creepy. I'm about as creepy as it's physically possible for any human to be, in every possible way that you can imagine.

Now, forgive me, but I'm going to be thoroughly rereading things that are very important to me. I'm off into my creepy little world now, where everything continues to be just as creepy as it has been all this time, and where it will continue to be creepy in the future.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're creepy.
    Hello Bionicgoat, I think you are my activator. Nice to meet you. Activators sometimes take each other too literally, so if you are nearby while I am talking, I will make sure that all of my hypothetical situations created for the sake of argument will be physically safe to try at home.

Creepy-bg

Hello Bionicgoat, I think you are my activator. Nice to meet you. Activators sometimes take each other too literally, so if you are nearby while I am talking, I will make sure that all of my hypothetical situations created for the sake of argument will be physically safe to try at home.
    lol no. you took my taking you literally literally. i was mostly amused at your posts.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol no. you took my taking you literally literally. i was mostly amused at your posts.
    And actually, now that I think about it, I'm still confused about which type of ethics is which. I do this all the time. I think you might be my superego relation instead. I even spent some time last night reading wikisocion trying to understand which types of ethics was which and how to recognize them, but I fell asleep while reading, which explains why I might have missed something.

(*Edit. After further discussion and research: not even the superego relation.*)
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(*This one is bizarre, but I'm leaving it the way it is.*)

So I'm doing my 'close read' from the very beginning. That means that I will painstakingly pick apart every sentence, in thorough detail, because that's the kind of person I am. It will take a while. (Never mind - I ended up picking apart, like, one sentence, and then going into a million different explanations from there.)

Most of my ideas came from reading Julian Simon, so I didn't think of these things myself, and I am merely remembering them and applying them.

Do unto others as you'd have done to you? Fine, it's my turn to translate then. My job is to use my ego block as much as possible, and try to avoid using anything else but that - for instance, I will be totally, hopelessly, completely oblivious to hidden subtexts or deeper meanings, since I was never very good at dealing with all that stuff anyway. So, this requires a special type of mental focus.

And yes, my 'rebuttal' of the analogy earlier was totally a joke, which explains why it looked like a bunch of meaningless gibberish. That's because it actually WAS a bunch of meaningless gibberish. While writing it, I was laughing uncontrollably, because of the strange mood I was in. Even so, I am going to use that same approach to this. I'm doing this because, for some reason, I seem to enjoy spending time with writers more than with anyone else.

Warning: This will be unbearably LONG and totally unreadable to almost everyone, including myself. When I look at this forum post later on, I'm going to say, 'Oh my god, I can't believe I actually wrote that,' which is what I almost always say when I write anything in forums. So please be patient. Skim over it with a glance, see if anything in there is interesting, and then click on some other forum topic to look for livelier conversations elsewhere. This is going to be extremely dull.

It's true, not only am I really creepy, but I am also a crazy wackjob in my own bizarre eccentric harmless little ways, so if you're reading this and thinking to yourself, 'OMG, this person is nuts,' well, that might be true, but there's no need to be alarmed. And you will see occasional fragments of sanity. And so if I am disturbing to anyone, I'm sure there's some way for them to just ignore me. Don't worry - I'm off the net in just a few weeks and I'll only be able to do rare, occasional posts, so I won't be monopolizing any more discussions by writing extremely long incoherent rambling off-topic monologues while simultaneously rudely ignoring everybody.

"Welcome to the Post Peak-Oil World
    A world where fewer and fewer people fly, and their radius of travel shrinks."

(Because the cost of flying or driving is gradually increasing.) Is the price actually increasing? What is causing this increase in price? Is it caused by peak oil? Has anything else ever caused the price of oil to rise?

I agree that the price of gasoline at the pumps has gone up - that's something I can see. I've also seen online that the prices of commodities are going up too, and that includes everything, not just gasoline or oil. (Wait... I just lost my insight.)

Okay... this is hard to explain... and I promised I would be using my ego block, but I had an insight here. *IF* the prices of *EVERYTHING* (no, actually, 'many things,' not everything) are all going up at the same time, then why would you assume that the rising price of oil is causing the price of everything else to go up? You assume that the prices of everything are rising due to the fact that gasoline's high price is making it expensive to transport everything else. You assume that all of the high prices are a consequence of the high price of transporting things.

But why would it necessarily all be caused by gasoline's price in particular? Is the entire 100% of the price rise of everything accounted for by the price rise in gasoline? Is there any percentage of the price rise (in 'commodities') that is caused by something other than the price rise in gasoline and the indirect consequences of the price rises elsewhere? What is causing that other percentage of the price increase?

But wait! you say. You think that oil is running out. Even if something else was contributing to the price increases, that doesn't matter. There could be ten different causes of the price rise, but the only cause that you are interested in (for the sake of this discussion) is the idea that 'peak oil' has occurred at some time in the recent past.

Yes, you would explain this by using a metaphor, but unfortunately, that was the moment when I began laughing uncontrollably and entered a bizarre manic state of mind lasting for hours and became unable to communicate like a normal human being, so maybe we will have to avoid using any metaphors in the future while trying to explain the process of running out of oil. I know it's not easy to describe a cyclical process or a self-reinforcing process or any other complex process without using some kind of simplified metaphorical description, but unfortunately, if you do that, I am going to start laughing and not only that but I will also start interpreting everything as having a hidden sexual meaning in addition to the metaphor's original intended meaning in the discussion. Someday when I am no longer having my chemical-sensitivity induced mood swings, I will be able to talk in a calm and reasonable manner without going into uncontrollable laughter, but alas, as of right now, that is not possible.

I'm going to skip to a totally different random idea which came from Julian Simon. When HE used a metaphor to describe the process of extracting oil, he said that, in this metaphor, you'd imagine that for some strange reason, you kept finding that the water in the pool or whatever it was kept filling itself up after you took water out. This would be what you observed happening. You wouldn't be able to explain where the new water was coming from. (He was talking about, like, a bathtub full of water or a pool of water or something where no matter how much you took out, you kept mysteriously finding that more of it was in there again later.) You would have to find some explanation for where it was coming from.

For instance, he said, maybe there are bacteria that are right now creating new oil, and this process of creating new oil is happening much faster than most people believe it's happening.

I'm not done yet, but I quit for now. This internet addiction is annoying.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But why then isn't purchasing power rising in sync with inflation (or is it)?
    Inflation causes purchases power to diminish, and it's measured by examining prices in the CPI and the PPI, which are both pointless as inflation can be directly observed at the store.

As for silver coins buying more oil today than years ago, silver does not have an inherent fixed value, so you can't say "the real money price of gasoline has gone down." If the quantity of silver per capita were the same as then, then I agree that the price comparison would make sense.
    Okay, I should have been clearer, and I can see what you're saying. But my point isn't that there is some fixed ratio in the price of silver; what I meant was that because silver is real money that the government hasn't arbitrarily inflated, the value of it has increased along with its scarcity, meaning that silver is experiencing deflation while the opposite is happening to the inflating dollar, and deflation is exactly what's needed in a recession/depression. So we can see real money adjusting properly to economic conditions while the dollar inflates and causes further misallocation.
    Last edited by discojoe; 04-14-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the guy who can get things

This is just a thought. As of right now, it's still possible for most people to continue working at their normal jobs. Even if the economy gets worse and worse, many people will still keep trying to find work in the 'white market,' the legal market. They will eventually need to know how to find work in the 'gray market.' The gray market is the place where you do things like babysitting or lawn mowing and you get paid in cash without reporting that cash income to the IRS. It's technically not legal, but they don't usually put people in prison for those things either. They are more interested in arresting people who work in the 'black market,' people like drug dealers, prostitutes, and organized crime gangs.

In the gray market, it helps if you can find 'The guy who can get things,' like in Shawshank Redemption. If someone has a large network of friends and acquaintances, and if he has some idea of who has what, who needs what, who is trustworthy, who has which skills and knowledge, who might possibly be able to get things people need in the future, then that person is able to help a lot of people if the economy does get very bad and people are not finding jobs in the white market. It would be like a job recruiting service. He might say, 'I know someone who could use your help.' In a severely depressed economy where large numbers of people cannot find jobs or cannot afford basic necessities, that is a valuable service.

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Disconnecting from socionics

Not again.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

delete
    Last edited by Slacker; 11-02-2011 at 06:17 PM.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How would you feel if you disconnected yourself from socionics?
    It is irritating to be harassed with all these questions and comments directed at my personal life in a thread on an unrelated topic. Could you please stop it?

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LSI: “I still can’t figure out Pinterest.”

Me: “It’s just, like, idea boards.”

LSI: “I don’t have ideas.”

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited, albeit with attitude.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mr. DeLong has kindly informed me that I am now on ignore, as I requested.
    Your name is Queen Mother Maritsa ?

I'm not sure which one of us thought of the 'ignore' idea first, but we seem to both agree that it is a good idea. I can't verify that I am actually on ignore, but will have to take his word for it.
    You better double check, I did and it turned out I'm not on ignore even though the person(s) "ignored" me 3 or 4 times repeatedly.

Meanwhile, about that 'disconnecting from socionics' thing. Now that I'm on 'ignore,' I'll talk about Rick in the third person tense, which is what I normally do anyhow.
    You're Maritsa.

He went to a foreign country, found something very useful, translated it, and brought it to the English speaking world. A few other people did too. He didn't get paid to do any of that, and he didn't get paid (as far as I know?) to make any of the socionics websites, although I really have no idea. I'm not sure who would have paid him, because nobody 'owns' socionics.
    ...and your point is ?

As for his writing a book about socionics? I wonder. I'd enjoy reading an autobiography.
    I'm going to publish my own soon, it's called "How to stand on a pint of piss and tell about it after".

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    I understand, Absurd. Thanks for the moral support.

(Looking at a basilisk in a mirror is still probably not a healthy or pleasant experience.)

I'm going to delete a couple things, but I'm not sure which ones yet. I've got them saved for future reference. I have to judge which ones to leave in there, because some of it actually had to do with peak oil.

Okay, I removed a few things, and complained once or twice about how I don't like being a soulless robot and all that.
    Last edited by Nico1e; 04-28-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I understand, Absurd. Thanks for the moral support.
    I'm so moral like a monkey in outer space. Thanks, anyway

(Looking at a basilisk in a mirror is still probably not a healthy or pleasant experience.)
    Don't worry about my health and it's more like looking at Gorgon Medusa.

I'm going to delete a couple things, but I'm not sure which ones yet. I've got them saved for future reference.
    Haha, the irony

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

page 4 snypa

Banned
    TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Don't worry about my health and it's more like looking at Gorgon Medusa.
    You're exactly right, why didn't I think of that?