Thread: ILIs-INTps extinguishing enthusiasm and active emotions

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

lol I think Debbie Downer is awesome. The people in the skits she owns are usually preppies who are disconnected from people's loser pain. They deserved to be brought down that many notches imo lol.

Hope is emo is also a character I like and relate with a lot.

THESE WORDS ARE DYIIIING.

Creepy-Korpsey

Debbie Downer's commentary centers on ethical and humanistic concerns. She perches in the middle of the group and joins the others in clapping without hesitation or apparent irony at the unveiling of the birthday cake. As she speaks she deflates like a balloon for dramatic emphasis, punctuating her pessimistic statements with grotesque mugging. This is all Fe-valuing behavior.

If she were an ILI her complaints would largely be couched in the dispassionate language of ontology, with her personal opinions taking a back seat to, ostensibly, describing events and conditions as they are. She would probably be slouched in a chair on the edge of the group (and possibly even leafing through the host's books or magazines), observing the goings-on at a remove so as to avoid being swept up in the others' irrational exuberance. Without genuinely heartfelt admiration for the birthday boy or a spontaneous desire to act the fool, she would hesitate briefly, taking in the strange spectacle of people clapping merely because others are doing so, before deciding for herself whether to play along or not. Finally, her speech would retain an even tone, and she'd impress her meaning on listeners with a wry smirk or ironic glance.

Debbie amuses you two not because she's a spoilsport ILI but because she's a depressed IEI. Since she speaks on your wavelength you're ideally equipped to find the comedic absurdity in her pathetic displays --- they allow you to laugh at the ever-so-familiar negative traits you recognize within yourselves.
    Last edited by Korpsey; 02-16-2011 at 09:37 PM.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen, the Saturday Night Live cast is predominantly Alpha. (In the past and now.)

The character of Debbie Downer is played by an Alpha. It makes sense to me that she'd be impersonating a Gamma INTp.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debbie amuses you two not because she's a spoilsport ILI but because she's a depressed IEI.
    That's a convincing arguement, trevor. It just might be true...

Debbie Downer's commentary centers on ethical and humanistic concerns.
    Yeah. If she were an intp, she wouldn't care so much about that. I mean her main skit had something to do with cats having cancer, didn't it? intps like Aiss for example, aren't so outwardly humanitarian at all. In fact, they are waaaaay more sheepish about being personally invested in the sadness of the world. Not that they are cruel or anything, it's just different.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

From what I've seen, the Saturday Night Live cast is predominantly Alpha. (In the past and now.)

The character of Debbie Downer is played by an Alpha. It makes sense to me that she'd be impersonating a Gamma INTp.
    I agree Saturday Night Live as a whole is alpha, but Debbie Downer might be a Beta that Alphas are making fun of. In fact, teasing in kiddie-corner quadras makes better sense than making fun of people who you conflict with. It might be too repulsive to even joke around with. And it's not like they are being too harsh with downer anyway. It might just be alphas poking fun at betas. If it was a confliction thing, they would have debbie downer be like physically hurt in the skits or something?

lolol @ Tina Fey and Vero being twins.

And btw, the actress playing the character is completely different than the character itself. It's very possible Debbie Downer is Beta INFp, and the actress is an ENTp. (or whatever alpha she is)

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The actress looks like Jon Stewart which both look like an ESE friend of mine.

Regarding her being ILI...don't generalize the monotony and depressing nature. She's just stating observations that semi-relate to the topic at hand. She's not getting metaphysical or argumentative or nothing that is stereotypical of ILIs in their Ego pursuits.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    I believe she is a parody of an ILI in the eyes of Alphas.
    This. The whole point of the skit is that she's a negativist, and I highly doubt ENFj fits (victim seems pretty obvious).
    ILI (FINAL ANSWER)

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ESI
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    ESI
    No. ESIs can act like that only one-on-one.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Korpsey

I can't see how IEI fit's Debbie Downer at all. IMO, IEI's are generally positivists, blend in & morph to their surrounding social atmosphere, and will keep up a charismatic diplomatic position in public.
    Allow me to suggest that you look up subjective validation, confirmation bias, and fundamental attribution error. Take a peek at positivism, too (hint: it isn't tantamount to optimism).

She on the other hand is a negativist, has no trace of Fe ( Fe PoLR, imo)
    Recall that I specified a depressed IEI. Displays of pathos, which constitute a form of Fe, are designed to elicit sympathy and solicit a corrective to undesirable conditions. If this behavior isn't indicative of unhealthy or dispossessed IEIs, then kindly explain why else a type so often characterized as over-sensitive crybabies would require a go-getter, "damn the consequences" dual to best make its way through this mean ol' world.

has a monotone Ben Stein kind of air to her, & talks more about facts of the world & warns people of upcoming doom.
    I just took in a number of Stein videos and found that he presents his observations and forecasts within a systematic framework of causal inter-relations, examining their origins, dynamics, and implications. This lends credibility to his sociotype possibly being ILI. Debbie, however, makes pat, "just so" statements that fail to penetrate beneath surface appearances. And not only this but her commentary is a string of non sequiturs with only tangential relation to the broader conversation at hand. In my experience, ILIs only engage in that kind of behavior for comedic or sardonic effect, not while making earnest statements about personal concerns. Again, Debbie shows Fe- rather than Fi-valuing traits.

I believe she is a parody of an ILI in the eyes of Alphas.
    I'll concede that this is a possibility, but SNL is a shit factory so I doubt those overpaid, under-talented boobs had anything more in mind than flogging yet another one-dimensional joke to pieces between commercial breaks.

This is a better example of an IEI parody imo: YouTube-Inappropriate Yoga Guy
    Ah, flattering, thus true! :) See above concerning the listed cognitive biases, and a clue as to why I suggested she might be an IEI (other than the OBVIOUS resemblance, of course).

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    No. ESIs can act like that only one-on-one.
    yeah. On a second thought ESI are not that facially expressive (emotionally expressive); I really doubt that this person is ILI either.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a better example of an IEI parody imo:

YouTube - Inappropriate Yoga Guy - Yoga, Bitch!
    Somehow this is funny... somehow....

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, I used to do that unintentionally, esp on bad days. my former boss gave me the nickname "fun sucker"-- he was LSI I believe. wasn't a big deal, he still thought I was hilarious.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really sure... I don't think Debbie is trying to lower the enthusiasm with what she says (because she has an aversion to it) but that she's trying to participate or join in with the group and be accepted by being able to do what they do (as in one person in the group will say something with a particular mood and then everyone else will agree and match that mood, so Debbie's trying to do this as well but it doesn't work when she does it and she is relatively oblivious to how and why that is). Also I wish they'd give her more topics than "I don't eat that because it will make my gallbladder explode" or "you know what's terrible? all those people that died in that earthquake." She seems to have a very limited range of things that she thinks about.

I guess I could see it as ILI as seen by (very stereotyped) Alphas though.

I also sort of thought the skits were making fun of the other people more than Debbie as they're all upset when she interferes with their meaningless upbeat topics of conversation (I'd actually rather have to put up with Debbie than most of the rest of them and find it ironic that they seem to think she's the one who's so "annoying").