Thread: SLIs, do you see a kindred spirit in these videos?

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SLIs, do you see a kindred spirit in these videos?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More or less.

In a professional environment there are few things worse than having to work with an ideologue who sinks their teeth into a concept and never lets go. You spend more time butting heads than you do working, and that's frustrating.

There is give and take in every single social interaction; what's with expecting to see none of it in the political process? Completely absurd no matter what your stripes.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama an SLI? Could be. He controls emotions well, leads with logic. Certainly flexible in decision making.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joke of the day

Obama controls emotions well, leads with logic.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things particularly come off as SLI:
    1) he states, point blanks, that his primary goal is to prevent harm. That's about as Si leading as you can get, I think.
    2) his insistence on the necessity of not insisting on Ni perfection: his tolerance of an (enormous) deficit and his arguments that it is unreasonable to demand ethical behavior from partners points very strongly towards Ni role. For that matter, rage over his decisions dogs him at every step. He appears to be used to dealing with it and figures he should just ignore it. He himself, of course, NEVER gets upset on camera, nor does he show a lot of overt emotion. He has been criticized for this, also (especially when the oil spill hit).

Before it was difficult to see his SLI features, because he was in a comfortable position. Now that he's under stress and forced to take a position, his traits are beginning to show.

Right now he's throwing Te (fiscal responsibility) under the bus in favor of keeping aid to unemployed workers flowing. He described negotiations with the Republicans as a hostage situation in which there was a genuine possibility that the hostage (the unemployed) would be shot. That's his apparent weakness as president: he can sustain the situation, but he can't seem to repair it. I mean sure he keeps the hostage alive... but how does he plan to rescue the hostage...?

Here's what I think's going on with him: he sees people around him at risk for harm, and so he figures he has to perform an act to get people to allow him to mitigate the harm to those people. In interviews, he's talked frankly about how he "rallies up a crowd with great skill". It has been suggested by pundits that the tax deal is a way of getting back in the good graces of independent voters who were alienated by the health care bill and deficit spending of the past two years. In this sense he is behaving in such manner as he believes will create a positive impression, to obtain the opportunity to save others.
    Last edited by tcaudilllg; 12-11-2010 at 05:18 PM.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcaudilllg View Post
    Two things particularly come off as SLI:
    1) he states, point blanks, that his primary goal is to prevent harm. That's about as Si leading as you can get, I think.
    Disagree. Having a primary goal of preventing harm isn't necessarily Si leading. Heck that's my primary goal in whatever I do. I think it's multifactorial and different functions can produce such a statement. It could be Si, sure, Si-value (not just Si-leading). It could be Fi-motivated. It could also be Fe-motivated in a slightly different sense.

2) his insistence on the necessity of not insisting on Ni perfection: his tolerance of an (enormous) deficit and his arguments that it is unreasonable to demand ethical behavior from partners points very strongly towards Ni role. For that matter, rage over his decisions dogs him at every step. He appears to be used to dealing with it and figures he should just ignore it. He himself, of course, NEVER gets upset on camera, nor does he show a lot of overt emotion. He has been criticized for this, also (especially when the oil spill hit).
    Can you explain this a bit better? How is this related to Ni? Him never getting upset on camera rather points to well controlled, perhaps unvalued, Fe. ESIs do come across subdued from an Fe standpoint (just as EIIs do). Actually all Fi-valuers tend to sort of look "Fe-POLR-ish". IME SLIs' Fe-POLR manifests as inappropriate emotion for a situation just as much as them being "stone-faced". I do not get the same impression from Obama. His intonations are also quite expressive when delivering speeches. SLIs speak in a fast, short monotone.

Before it was difficult to see his SLI features, because he was in a comfortable position. Now that he's under stress and forced to take a position, his traits are beginning to show.

Right now he's throwing Te (fiscal responsibility) under the bus in favor of keeping aid to unemployed workers flowing. He described negotiations with the Republicans as a hostage situation in which there was a genuine possibility that the hostage (the unemployed) would be shot. That's his apparent weakness as president: he can sustain the situation, but he can't seem to repair it. I mean sure he keeps the hostage alive... but how does he plan to rescue the hostage...?

how is this consistent with Te-creative? To me this seems more like Te in a weak position, and a largely Fi-motivated cause (and perhaps weak Ne in not being about to come up with possibilities of how to rescue, and weak Ni in not having a great ability with foresight). Which is not inconsistent with his original typing of ESI. We have to also keep in mind that there is a whole cabinet full of people with whom he makes decisions. And someone else usually write speeches.

Here's what I think's going on with him: he sees people around him at risk for harm, and so he figures he has to perform an act to get people to allow him to mitigate the harm to those people. In interviews, he's talked frankly about how he "rallies up a crowd with great skill".
    How is this consistent with Fe-POLR??????

It has been suggested by pundits that the tax deal is a way of getting back in the good graces of independent voters who were alienated by the health care bill and deficit spending of the past two years. In this sense he is behaving in such manner as he believes will create a positive impression, to obtain the opportunity to save others.
    I dont see how this supports a typing of SLI necessarily.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, Obama acts like an INFp who is acting like "a president."

It reminds me of when I'd date INFps, and they'd very often act ISTp-ish, and I'd be confused for a few weeks.

I still think Obama is an INFp though.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    To me, Obama acts like an INFp who is acting like "a president."

It reminds me of when I'd date INFps, and they'd very often act ISTp-ish, and I'd be confused for a few weeks.

I still think Obama is an INFp though.
    colin firth apparently falls into this category.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by he died with a felafel View Post
    FWIW, I see Obama's style of leadership as inspirational, which doesn't sound particularly ISTp-ish.
    Well what type is his wife? Maybe he got that from her?

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely IEI. I mean, isn't all the inspirational stuff stereotypical of an NF?

He's definitely not Delta; reminds me of Gandhi. To me, Gandhi was a great politician (able to move people around) but his ideas were largely empty.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.