Thread: Inroverted Feeling Fi: attachment to people but also to things?

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inroverted Feeling Fi: attachment to people but also to things?

Fi is associated with attachment to people, but might it also have to do with attachment to possessions? Like, is it harder for an Fi-Ego to part with things? Or for an Fi-PoLR who might have a harder time differentiating between things that actually mean something and things that don't?

Discuss
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I think creative Te/HA Fi go hand in hand when it comes to hoarding.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

In Reinin dichotomy terms, this is probably related to the Constructivist-Emotivist dichotomy (which I mention because the dichotomy seems to describe\analyse this element well, rather than because I necessarily believe it to be ascribable to particular types.

It is certainly something that I notice in myself - although it's possible that I'm strongly attached to just a few things, and am much less picky about getting rid of other things, as long as I consider them to no longer be of practical or sentimental use.

Creepy-bg

I don't really have much sentimental attachment to things, for me sentimental feelings come from places and music. for instance, I made my friend give me some of these scratch art pictures that she loved to do when she left to remember her by. They don't really mean anything to me though, now that she's gone.

I am a hoarder of "cool" or "useful" stuff though. I have boxes and drawers full of random tools, hooks, string, bits of metal etc... I also have a tendency to hoard containers for things, like little bottles and empty plastic things to put stuff in (stuff like the "cool" and "useful" stuff from the start of this paragraph ). I hate throwing away glass bottles or plastic packaging that I know could be used for holding other stuff. of course, I never actually seem to use any of the "stuff" that I hoard. It just collects and makes me feel oddly secure having it for if I ever find a need.

When I worked at the craft store, I did a lot of "five finger discount" hoarding of art supplies and mechandising fixtures.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean View Post
    In Reinin dichotomy terms, this is probably related to the Constructivist-Emotivist dichotomy (which I mention because the dichotomy seems to describe\analyse this element well, rather than because I necessarily believe it to be ascribable to particular types.
    So does yielding/obstinate.

Yielding types

1. Resources are 'sacred', but ideas are freely shared and manipulated.
    2. Easily aware of the boundaries between their and others' interests.
    3. Protect their resources to the point of conflict, and their reaction may be unduly strong.
    4. “If I know I can't do something, I won't and will forget all about it.”

Obstinate types

1. Ideas are 'sacred', but resources are freely shared and manipulated.
    2. Easily aware of the boundaries between their and others' resources.
    3. Guard their interests from intrusions, and their reaction to such intrusions may be quite sharp.
    4. “I won't abandon my interests just because my resources are inadequate, but simply work towards improving my resources until they ARE adequate.”

constructivist * yielding = static

I propose to name the quadrants originating from it "hoarding styles".

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Whoever typed me SEI will be eaten alive by non other than me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a male SEI-Fe and a female EII (not married or related in any way) who are horrible about getting rid of stuff. Everything has sentimental value or jogs some memory that they don't want to throw away (because throwing away the item=throwing away the memory to them).

But I know another SEI-Si who's pretty good at getting rid of stuff. And my IEE Mom rules. She just tosses things left and right. lol
    IEI-Fe 4w3

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

hah, i'm definitely yielding.

fuck the obstinates.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiss View Post

Yielding types

3. Protect their resources to the point of conflict, and their reaction may be unduly strong.

Obstinate types

3. Guard their interests from intrusions, and their reaction to such intrusions may be quite sharp.
    4. “I won't abandon my interests just because my resources are inadequate, but simply work towards improving my resources until they ARE adequate.”

I propose to name the quadrants originating from it "hoarding styles".

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Fi is associated with attachment to people, but might it also have to do with attachment to possessions? Like, is it harder for an Fi-Ego to part with things? Or for an Fi-PoLR who might have a harder time differentiating between things that actually mean something and things that don't?

Discuss
    i don't consider myself in strong fi, but i can get attached to things. but i can also get repulsed by things. and usually objects relate to people?

like it's okay for one person to have something of mine, but not someone else...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yielding types

Obstinate types

Obstinate: Focal F; Diffuse T
    Yielding: Focal T; Diffuse F

What they mean by "ideas" is more along the lines of "motivations", F-related stuff.
    Resources is the T tool by means of which these are brought about.
    Obstinate "focus" on the motivations, yielding view them as contingent and variable.
    Last edited by krieger; 11-10-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fi isn't really like maintaining good relations with people. But it is primarily about knowing what the individual relates to and what external form can express that relation with their emotional psyche, be it other people, images, memories, emotions, objects, though its the idea that most of these things are rejected because they don't fit with the inner emotional complex, and identifiable things are held on to with great care, but the quality of care is subjective to the individual, and the essence of its function is to stay true. So the short answer is yes.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Your 'attachment to people' brought up an interesting question. I wonder sometimes if it's possible for somebody to spend time completely alone, with no socialization whatsoever. I think even by reading a book or playing a video game, you are being social in some way. I'm not sure if it would make you 'stronger' or if everybody would commit suicide...

I'm happiest when I'm by myself really, comparing myself to others and spending time on facebook makes me sort of ornery. I'm better off with myself or a very few people at a time lol. But could I really just go without everybody else cold turkey? I both romanticize the idea and scared of it at the same time.

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Your 'attachment to people' brought up an interesting question. I wonder sometimes if it's possible for somebody to spend time completely alone, with no socialization whatsoever. I think even by reading a book or playing a video game, you are being social in some way. I'm not sure if it would make you 'stronger' or if everybody would commit suicide...

I'm happiest when I'm by myself really, comparing myself to others and spending time on facebook makes me sort of ornery. I'm better off with myself or a very few people at a time lol. But could I really just go without everybody else cold turkey? I both romanticize the idea and scared of it at the same time.
    People need people. I don't believe anyone could live happily in complete isolation for a long time without some sort of resulting neurosis. Now, it might be a little easier for a person if he had an animal companion or two, but I doubt even that would be sustainable forever. JMO.
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    I am a hoarder of "cool" or "useful" stuff though. I have boxes and drawers full of random tools, hooks, string, bits of metal etc... I also have a tendency to hoard containers for things, like little bottles and empty plastic things to put stuff in (stuff like the "cool" and "useful" stuff from the start of this paragraph ). I hate throwing away glass bottles or plastic packaging that I know could be used for holding other stuff. of course, I never actually seem to use any of the "stuff" that I hoard. It just collects and makes me feel oddly secure having it for if I ever find a need.
    This is both my husband and my father-in-law ^ DH is INTp, but I'm not positive on my FIL yet...maybe ISTj (with Role Fi...hmm...) or ISTp (Fi Mobilizing)
    My life's work (haha):

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Fi isn't really like maintaining good relations with people. But it is primarily about knowing what the individual relates to and what external form can express that relation with their emotional psyche, be it other people, images, memories, emotions, objects, though its the idea that most of these things are rejected because they don't fit with the inner emotional complex, and identifiable things are held on to with great care, but the quality of care is subjective to the individual, and the essence of its function is to stay true. So the short answer is yes.
    This
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I feel exactly the same.