Thread: Difficulty putting sensory impressions into words

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Difficulty putting sensory impressions into words

Are Si types better at putting sensory impressions into words?

I'm talking here about describing smells, how something feels, etc.
    I often struggle to find the words to describe such things. When I'm driving my car and something doesn't feel quite right, I take notice but trying to explain in words exactly what's wrong to the mechanic in the shop is difficult. One time I told the mechanic to just drive the car once around the block and you'll know what I mean.

I have similar problems trying to describe smells. I can tell you if its pleasant or not or if it reminds me of something familiar but that's about it. Is my difficultly with such things related to weak Si?

I would guess maybe Si ego types are good at this sort of thing because they think a lot in terms of sensory impressions and have cultivated this skill and so have a larger vocabulary to utilize to describe what they experience?

Discuss.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I think it may work in reverse. The detailed impression they get can be hard to put into words. I think an Si type may have an inclination to have vocabulary developed around slight differences of impressions, but I don't think they'll always be able to explain it better. They probably find them selves struggling to find the right word more often than others which is what would cause them to develop that more intricate vocabulary.

Edit: basically, I think that an intricate vocabulary of sensual details will be roughly proportional to the level of awareness of the focus on the sensual details, but the amount they struggle with it will vary from person to person.
    Last edited by Azeroffs; 10-14-2010 at 10:40 PM.
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My SEI brother isn't very good at describing something. So I'll try it and say something like, "It has the oomph of a caterpillar with a hint of orange." He'll excitedly say, "Exactly!"

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-male

Yeah, not good at describing sensory information. However, I have a lot of words for colouring emotionally what I perceive.

As for why... for anyone who's learned another language, the goal is to start thinking in that language. So say if you're learning Latin, you don't look at a frog and see a frog, you see a rana. It's like that for me, my vocabulary for sensory things is in a sensory language, not English. So unless I have an English name for something, or the things that make a something up (eg most smells can be compared to other smells), I will describe it in my mind with other sensory things.

Taste and smell are the worst offenders, possibly because they're the most complex senses.