Thread: IEEs: What do you want from your boss?

Creepy-z987654321

Default IEEs: What do you want from your boss?

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ananke View Post
    And what frustrates you?

I have an IEE employee. Where should I give him freedom, and what should I keep an eye on? He's a mess, but he's a charismatic mess, so I'd like to keep him. He's doing all the social shit I can't stand, making him perfect to send around as a front figure, so that I can keep in the background. The only worry I have, is that he may "forget" to report to me what he's doing. Advices?
    HA! I had a coworker, IEE. She was a train wreck when it came to keeping records, or even managing basic office procedures. But, she also knew everyone, and was a tremendous team player. She so much wanted to contribute, and was always first in line when work needed done.

I'm an SLI, so I can do the math, but I can do without the social stuff. We were a great team. Don't under estimate the value of the IEE, if you can overlook some personal chaos, you will have a loyal, hardworking, networking machine.

To answer your question about freedom, The IEE I know aims to please, so you can set rules. The problem is that she was just not able to focus on details. Don't think in terms of loosening/tightening the reins. The IEE is not to be broken. Just be careful to design job duties that maximize interpersonal contact. Avoid routine, and logic/analytical duties. Monitor closely any output that requires disciplined, controlled, consistent effort.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what frustrates you?

I have an IEE employee. Where should I give him freedom, and what should I keep an eye on? He's a mess, but he's a charismatic mess, so I'd like to keep him. He's doing all the social shit I can't stand, making him perfect to send around as a front figure, so that I can keep in the background. The only worry I have, is that he may "forget" to report to me what he's doing. Advices?
    I'd like to comment on the keeping track of what the IEE is doing. I know re: myself that for SURE I can get caught up in what i'm doing, and i'm never sure that i'm done enough with my task that it's ready to be to shown to my boss (and the kind of job i'm doing gives me a lot of flexibility as to how i go about doing whatever task i'm supposed to do, minimal deadlines).

So very true, for the first couple months of my job, i was really just on my own working on what we'd planned for me to do. Finally i came to an impasse where i really needed to talk to my boss to answer my many questions, i set up a meeting, and at that point, he realized he needs to meet with me more often. So he had his secretary set up weekly meetings for us. And it's really been great that way. If i dont have anything new to show him in a given week, we just talk about career plans and big picture ideas.

That last part is really important as well--meaning that if there's a deadline or something, just gently prod the IEE, never ever rush them, well you can and sometimes it's necessary, but very gently. Can't rush our genius! j/k But really being rushed sort of paralyzes me. And also it's because as Cyrano said, we aim to please, and we would never intentionally slack or be lazy; if we get the feeling that we are a total disappointment to our boss, it's so discouraging and eventually the IEE will leave, because we want our work to be meaningful. On the other hand, if the boss really likes what we're doing or at least is constructive and encouraging, we'll try even harder! (at least I will!)
    Last edited by Suz; 08-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And what frustrates you?

Set up a regular meeting with him. Tell him the purpose of the meeting is to get an update on what he's doing and to check if he needs any support. That way you can keep track. Although he sounds like a politician, in my experience they don't do much tangible work anyway so there may not be a lot to report back on. I would say it's dangerous to stay in the background too much and position an member of your team as the leader unless you're very secure in your job.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IEI View Post
    Set up a regular meeting with him. Tell him the purpose of the meeting is to get an update on what he's doing and to check if he needs any support. That way you can keep track. Although he sounds like a politician, in my experience they don't do much tangible work anyway so there may not be a lot to report back on. I would say it's dangerous to stay in the background too much and position an member of your team as the leader unless you're very secure in your job.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx