Thread: Enneagram Type 5

Creepy-male

Default Enneagram Type 5

Dominant Themes
    All themes are logically equivalent to each other and a result of each other
    • Pursuits Knowledge, Interest in how and why things work the way they do
    • Fear of being incompetent and disfunctional in their lives
    • Objective observing of life, detached
    • Self-Confidence based on having ideas and insight, feeling like an "expert" on an area of study
    • Innovative, Pursues new ideas (pioneering) rather than established ones, sometimes leads to an interest in bizarre, strange, eccentric things.
    • Tends to respect knowledge more than authority, unconventional ideas
    • Sometimes Eccentric with odd Behaviors due to unconventional thought processes
    • Mentally Focused and Withdrawn... lives in their own head, sometimes eccentric, sometimes imaginative, sometimes creative

Examples

Intellectuals/Scientists/Thinkers
    • Albert Einstein
    • René Descartes
    • Stephen Hawking
    • Charles Darwin
    • Johan Kepler

Writers/Arts
    • Tim Burton
    • Stephen King
    • Franz Kafka
    • Alfred Hitchcock
    • Stanley Kubrick
    • George Lucas
    • Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Vincent Van Gogh

Celebrities/Public Figures/Well Known Personas
    • Howard Hughes
    • Bill Gates

Fictional
    • X-files

To be expanded upon later
    Last edited by male; 08-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about Enneagram type 5

I've been studying the enneagram alot more lately seeing as I didn't know to much about it before, really other then taking the test. I took the test over again and it said I was a 5w4, which I suppose could be possible. I know plenty of you will say it's impossible for and ENFj to be a 5 but I would disagree, especially if you are an intuitive subtype.
    So I guess my question would be, how does a 5 integrate more characteristics of an 8?
    EIE tritype 5w4, 4w5, 9w1

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
    Carl Jung, "Memories, Dreams, Reflections", 1962

Creepy-male

The short answer is a 5 when integrating towards an 8 is more bold and engaged in reality, instead of being withdrawn and somewhat fearful and anxious about being exposd.

Likewise disintegration towards the 7 carries the same theme, except instead of being bold, direct and engaged, a 5 at 7 become scattered, frantic, and nervous -- the opposite.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Morcheeba View Post
    I've been studying the enneagram alot more lately seeing as I didn't know to much about it before, really other then taking the test. I took the test over again and it said I was a 5w4, which I suppose could be possible. I know plenty of you will say it's impossible for and ENFj to be a 5 but I would disagree, especially if you are an intuitive subtype.
    It's possible, if you have a high-assertive secondary fix (3w2 especially), but it'd probably imply somewhat stunted development of Fe -- possibly due to some sort of social anxiety or communication impediment that didn't allow you to socialize as well as you'd like.

That said it isn't so much the intuitive subtype that's more likely to be 5 as the introvert subtype. N-EIEs can fall victim to this.

So I guess my question would be, how does a 5 integrate more characteristics of an 8?
    Five is defined by a core anxiety and insecurity about approaching the outer world, which the individual attempts to heal by drawing back into themselves and attempting to gain the skills necessary to engage the outer world. As the Five gains the competence they need, they become more assertive, aggressive and confident -- moreso in areas where they're naturally skilled already. Beta NF Fives, somewhat paradoxically, relish teaching and public speaking precisely for this reason.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's possible, if you have a high-assertive secondary fix (3w2 especially), but it'd probably imply somewhat stunted development of Fe -- possibly due to some sort of social anxiety or communication impediment that didn't allow you to socialize as well as you'd like.
    You are right about my use of , it is poorly developed which seems odd to me since it is my dominant function. I look at other types and they seem very different from me. It's not so much that I'm awkward around other people, I just feel uncomfortable. But, I was diagnosed with social anxiety at 17, it has gotten better, but still kinda rules my life.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right about my use of , it is poorly developed which seems odd to me since it is my dominant function. I look at other types and they seem very different from me. It's not so much that I'm awkward around other people, I just feel uncomfortable. But, I was diagnosed with social anxiety at 17, it has gotten better, but still kinda rules my life.
    I can definitely relate.

Out of curiosity, how come you self-type EIE rather than IEI, then?
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

TIM
    ENFj-fe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post

I can definitely relate.

Out of curiosity, how come you self-type EIE rather than IEI, then?
    I didn't. When I first came here I thought for sure that I was an IEI, but I posted some photos and most forum members said I was an EIE. I thought about it and it started to make sense, given the fact that I've known plenty of SLE's and my relations are my like activity then duality. I've met LSI's and felt like I had alot more to give in those relations.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes sense.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Theres no such thing, as a 5 ENFj, regardless of subtypes.