Thread: Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and Alpha

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and Alpha

I have a lot of friends into it, and I've finally tried this after seeing an interview with the book authors.

It's this Alpha NT guy (I think ILE) who is a chemist or something, some scientific background, who really loved fresh baked bread but couldn't seem to get it right no matter what recipe he used and didn't like having to spend so much time on it. So he used his scientific background to try to figure out how he could use the qualities of flour, yeast, water, time, temperature, etc., to see if he could come up with a bread recipe that would take less time and be pretty fool proof. He was picking a kid up from preschool, and started talking to a mom whose kid was in the same preschool and who is a chef (I think SEI), about his attempts to make an easy foolproof recipe for wonderful bread. The decided to work on it together and write a book, and together they have made this recipe. You mix up the dough just until everything is wet, let it rest on the counter for a few hours, and then store it in the fridge and just take out a handfull of the dough, spend a few seconds shaping it, and throw it in the oven. No kneading, not a lot of work, just a lot of waiting as there is a lot of time spent waiting for bread to rise.

My LIE mom hates this recipe becasue she said it isn't a time saver if you're having to sit and wait for hours and hours all the time for bread to rise and have the dough sit in the fridge all the time taking up space that could be used for something else. I told her it's a time saver in that it's the time you have to spend putting in effort, but she said she'd rather put in effort and not have to wait for bread to rise.

Anyone else tried this bread recipe? Here's an article with the basic recipe: Five Minutes a Day for Fresh-Baked Bread
    Last edited by Slacker; 05-15-2010 at 04:55 PM.

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this ILE guy who is a chemist and has been searching for the ultimate method of making the perfect bread. Are we talking about the same guy???? He lives in Norway. He found some person on the web who had studied the chemistry of bread making, then e-mailed her to get the whole dissertation so he could study it in detail. I never tasted the bread, but it must have been good.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    I know this ILE guy who is a chemist and has been searching for the ultimate method of making the perfect bread. Are we talking about the same guy???? He lives in Norway. He found some person on the web who had studied the chemistry of bread making, then e-mailed her to get the whole dissertation so he could study it in detail. I never tasted the bread, but it must have been good.
    LOL this is an American guy. Funny two had the same idea. Si dual seeking + NeTi

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    Funny two had the same idea. Si dual seeking + NeTi
    Yes, probably. This guy has been passionate about cooking for years. It's getting more and more scientific. It just hit me that maybe he would need a dual to keep him on the ground. But we have not been in touch lately.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nowisthetime View Post
    LOL sounds like my chemistry instructor in college. same thing.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is that kind of bread different from the "standard" bread? I have always made bread that could be stored in the fridge and required lots of time to "rise", how else could it be? Btw, I personally prefer bread with olive oil and milk, I think that's the only one that can still feel "fresh" after a long time. Btw again, don't you have lots of bakeries in the US? Can't you just get fresh bread from one of them, in the morning?
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ From what I heard from people who lived there for a while, having a good bakery nearby in US is a rare blessing. Apparently the bread over there is even worse than in UK. No wonder people seem to be more interested in baking their own.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never used that specific recipe but I used to bake homemade bread all the time. We also still make homemade pizza (dough too) which is yummy. It's not hard at all, just go about your day while it's rising! The problem for me is the need to plan ahead. I'm just bad at planning and kind of tend to wanna do stuff on the spur of the moment. have you ever made that Amish friendship bread where you keep adding to the starter and then give some of it away? It's yummy but really sweet and I get tired of it after awhile.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    How is that kind of bread different from the "standard" bread? I have always made bread that could be stored in the fridge and required lots of time to "rise", how else could it be? Btw, I personally prefer bread with olive oil and milk, I think that's the only one that can still feel "fresh" after a long time. Btw again, don't you have lots of bakeries in the US? Can't you just get fresh bread from one of them, in the morning?
    Bakeries here seem to be more about donuts and cakes. It's hard to get good bread.

And yes all bread takes time to rise but I think this takes longer. I'm not sure about that as I'm not a baker, but my mom seemed to think so. But then she's not into baking either.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, good bread is probably one of the easiest things to bake - high-quality ingredients along with some patience are all that you need. Baklava and meringues - that's hard stuff.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meringues are easy. Never attempted baklavas.

Do you have any recipe to share, FDG? Italian bread tends to be good.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have neighbors from Turkey who make baklava. Yum.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    I've never used that specific recipe but I used to bake homemade bread all the time. We also still make homemade pizza (dough too) which is yummy. It's not hard at all, just go about your day while it's rising! The problem for me is the need to plan ahead. I'm just bad at planning and kind of tend to wanna do stuff on the spur of the moment. have you ever made that Amish friendship bread where you keep adding to the starter and then give some of it away? It's yummy but really sweet and I get tired of it after awhile.
    a friend of mine just got a portion of the Amish friendship bread as a gift!! She had to go out of town for a few days and had her bf babysit it, since you have to do something to it every day
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Amish friendship bread sounds like too much work. Also, we don't eat much sweet bread. And my husband likes this bread in the OP because it has no sweetener. He said all American bread is sweetened and he hates how sweet everything is.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mariella View Post
    That Amish friendship bread sounds like too much work. Also, we don't eat much sweet bread. And my husband likes this bread in the OP because it has no sweetener. He said all American bread is sweetened and he hates how sweet everything is.
    Yeah it would be too much work for me too, but i'd do it maybe once to see what turned out. This friend of mine is LSE though (I think! we certainly activate each other!), LOVES to cook, and does everything by schedule, so i dont think it would be a problem for her
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep even if there is a bakery chances are the bread is mediocre or worse than bread you can get a whole foods or trader joes. Only in big US cities(san fran, ny do they have traditional bakeries that have good quality bread.