View Poll Results: Do you want your SO to love you so much they feel they could not live without you?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 32.14%
  • No

19 67.86%

Thread: "I love you" or "I love you and I cannot live without you"

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "I love you." or "I love you and I cannot live without you."

This thread got me thinking http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ly-work-2.html about things. Do you want or need someone to actually need you like in a "I cannot live without you way?" Is this related to socionics, maybe quadra?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

"Don't marry the person you think you can live with. Marry the person you think you can't live without."
    -James Dobson

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops I thought I made the poll public but it looks like I forgot, is there any way to change this please?

I am looking forward to seeing people's responses

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, in idealistic romance world, yes. But in real life? I don't want to be that dependent on a person. I mean, if we naturally grow that close, and we are that intertwined (as if I have that level of trust for anybody), then that would just be... fact. I don't think my attitude would really be positive or negative about it. We'd be a unit. That would be fine.

Now, to psychoanalyze a bit, I may be downplaying how much I care about this precisely because it is something that I want so intensely (Enneagram 4 sx/so), but I think it's not something I'd ever strive for or expect in a relationship (except subconsciously). I do suspect that it would be a perennial source of a kind of background radiation of comfort, though, if I were so close to somebody else that we sort of merge or combine (anybody, really; our paradigm for closeness is the romantic relationship, but I don't care what form the intimacy takes; although I do admit that sexual intimacy, as an external manifestation, makes it a lot easier to achieve psychological intimacy, intimacy of the spirit-mind-nous-psyche). But then that person (or I) would be sure to die (and which one died depends on which one is the protagonist of the story; which one is Augustine, Tennyson, Achilles, Montaigne, Orpheus).
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about

"I really like you, and I think we'll do together in the long term. You're kind of cute, too, and I see us being able to have a mutually fulfilling life together. Yeah, I think you're someone I'd like to be with, be good to, and invest romantic feelings and strong emotions with. I see us going down the same life path, and I see you as being a good life partner for me - and I think I'd be good for you, too. I'd like to love you - how do you feel about me? I'm up for giving this [love] a go..."

It's flowery in its form there, but, something like that seems a lot more applicable than me saying just "I love you" or "I can't live with out you".
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    "I really like you, and I think we'll do together in the long term. You're kind of cute, too, and I see us being able to have a mutually fulfilling life together. Yeah, I think you're someone I'd like to be with, be good to, and invest romantic feelings and strong emotions with. I see us going down the same life path, and I see you as being a good life partner for me - and I think I'd be good for you, too. I'd like to love you - how do you feel about me? I'm up for giving this [love] a go..."
    LOL. There are so many quotes of epic comedy in this post, especially "invest" as a verb for "romantic feelings and strong emotions." Would you seriously like that formal of a declaration of... romantic interest? And/or do you seriously expect someone to appreciate that formal of a declaration (I'm not being facetious here; I suppose it's possible that an EII would find it cute, and it's not as if SLEs don't also occasionally make interpersonal moves that some might find ridiculous).

On a serious tip, have you investigated the possibility that your distaste for Fe has more to do with a distaste for a certain romantic thing? I was just thinking that it's not impossible that you actually are a Ti/Fe valuer but you just have a thing (possibly not socionics-related) against a certain way of expressing romantic feelings. I just say that because the whole dry, practical romance thing is, to me, the lynchpin for my agreeing with your LSE self-typing, but then it occurred to me that there are so many factors that go into one's attitude towards romance that have nothing to do with socionics... Not that I'm seriously questioning your type; I just know that others here do and they might have good reasons. I myself do not atm.

But yes, "I cannot live without you" in the conventional, external sense is vaguely beta, insofar as betas want passion and drama in their relationships, but I dunno, I find that nowadays most of those "I can't live without you" feelings are fabricated by one party (as in Madame Bovary) and indulged by the other. It's like people want to feel that passionate so they sort of make themselves feel that passionate without having a real grounding in the respective parties serving positive psychological and practical functions for each other. I think that most of the time when people say "I can't live without you" it has more to do with the feelings that they have attached to their partner (with various degrees of intentionality) rather than feelings their partner has inspired in them, if that makes sense, and as such they could actually very well feel the same way about another person if they made the same "investment" of feeling (darn it, that term isn't as ridiculous as I thought).

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    "Don't marry the person you think you can live with. Marry the person you think you can't live without."
    -James Dobson
    I think what he probably was getting at here was more like "don't underestimate the importance of who you choose to marry". Not that you literally think you can't live without them.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way. What if I die in a car accident? Why would I want the other person to suicide?

Obviously, it'd be different if such a sentence was used as a literary constuct. In that case "live" might mean "feeling alive" rather than simply "possessing a working metabolism along with a self-replicating DNA". I would somewhat appreciate this attitude, however it's still a tricky sentence. Perhaps I would like something akin to "You make me feel alive".
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    No way. What if I die in a car accident? Why would I want the other person to suicide?
    You would if you were Emma Bovary.

TIM
    Se/Ni sx/sp
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Obviously, it'd be different if such a sentence was used as a literary constuct. In that case "live" might mean "feeling alive" rather than simply "possessing a working metabolism along with a self-replicating DNA". I would somewhat appreciate this attitude, however it's still a tricky sentence. Perhaps I would like something akin to "You make me feel alive".
    yeah, this.

someone deciding that they cannot and will not live without you is pretty scary/fucked up. it's not romantic, it's selfish and burdensome. it degrades life. every fight becomes this overdramatic thing, where say you want to pursue something else, you're indirectly causing someone to off themself.

i mean it's cool to be passionate in general, but when someone's only passion is me, i just get sick of them. how am i supposed to be excited with you when your only excitement is me? it's like some incestuous romance, only doomed to burn out in the end. like i'll always show people i care about new things, crave new experiences with them, etc. and i would want the same in return. otherwise they're just some emotional parasite, feeding off my passions and it's annoying as fuck.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    Mine was no. I don't want to be in a relationship that there's no way out of. It's like business: always have an exit strategy.
    although i said no as well, your mentality for it is just gross lol. like wtf, no it is NOT like a business you cold bitch ahaha
    maybe a saint is just a dead prick with a good publicist
    maybe tommorow's statues are insecure without their foes
    go ask the frog what the scorpion knows

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    yeah, this.

someone deciding that they cannot and will not live without you is pretty scary/fucked up. it's not romantic, it's selfish and burdensome. it degrades life. every fight becomes this overdramatic thing, where say you want to pursue something else, you're indirectly causing someone to off themself.

i mean it's cool to be passionate in general, but when someone's only passion is me, i just get sick of them. how am i supposed to be excited with you when your only excitement is me? it's like some incestuous romance, only doomed to burn out in the end. like i'll always show people i care about new things, crave new experiences with them, etc. and i would want the same in return. otherwise they're just some emotional parasite, feeding off my passions and it's annoying as fuck.

edit:

although i said no as well, your mentality for it is just gross lol. like wtf, no it is NOT like a business you cold bitch ahaha
    Some people are obssessed with their partners, with sports, computers, tv, drugs or with eating until his/her ass explodes. Scary
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Yeah, I know. And I wouldn't say that's my overall view. I guess I'm just feeling a bit cynical atm.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    I think in most cases "I can't live without you" would just mean, "I can't and don't want to imagine my life without you in it". Which is a romantic sentiment I'd like to hear, if I could reciprocate. Otherwise it's just awkward, you know. I doubt anyone emotionally healthy would mean it literally. (Or this might just be a reflection of my strong identification with the Victim-Aggressor romance style?)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    sorry about that. Te polr you know.
    No worries
    Stan is not my real name.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

I think it's called dependance.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post

I think in most cases "I can't live without you" would just mean, "I can't and don't want to imagine my life without you in it". Which is a romantic sentiment I'd like to hear, if I could reciprocate. Otherwise it's just awkward, you know. I doubt anyone emotionally healthy would mean it literally. (Or this might just be a reflection of my strong identification with the Victim-Aggressor romance style?)

That works particularly well with the epic tone of beta romance.
    I like the sentiment behind the "i cannot live without you" but I wouldn't take it literally. To me, it means more like "my life is so much better with you in it"- type of thing.

So how does each erotic attitude handle love, what would they say?

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-James Dobson
    These kinds of quotes are like reading Shakespeare or poetry, if you want. You're not supposed to take it literally guys. Don't be retards.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngelMaybe View Post
    This thread got me thinking http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ly-work-2.html about things. Do you want or need someone to actually need you like in a "I cannot live without you way?" Is this related to socionics, maybe quadra?
    It kind of smacks of beta's Ni+Fe, because, there is focus on passionate feelings, almost 'overpowering feelings', which is kind of a common theme in betas that I've seen.

In think overall the more pragmatic approach that I said in my previous post here is somewhat "better" (I don't think feelings in and of themselves are important), but, I don't think it excludes how betas would go about things per se.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-James Dobson
    Dobson seriously said that? Weird. You'd think a psychologist would know better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelMaybe View Post
    Oops I thought I made the poll public but it looks like I forgot, is there any way to change this please?

I am looking forward to seeing people's responses
    Mine was no. I don't want to be in a relationship that there's no way out of. It's like business: always have an exit strategy.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I love you" is cool. "I love you and I cannot live without you" makes me a little squeamish, like I'm in a Twilight movie or something.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    "I love you" is cool. "I love you and I cannot live without you" makes me a little squeamish, like I'm in a Twilight movie or something.
    ahahahahhha
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEE-Ne cp 6w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqvg0C90FhM]YouTube - How Twilight Should Have Ended[/ame]
    Stan is not my real name.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does!

That kind of intense obsessive romance is extremely creepy to me
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

Creepy-

The first one, definitely. I want to be loved and wanted, not loved and needed.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    What's the difference?
    Hmm... to be wanted is to be enjoyed and appreciated - the wanter finds joy in their interactions with the wantee, but he makes a choice and is not forced by circumstances/requirements/whatever to be with the wantee. To be needed is to be clung to because the needer lacks something that he perceives the needee to fulfill.

I prefer to be wanted rather than needed, but I could see someone making the argument that in a way two people in love "need" each other in some ways. Still, the original question was about needing someone else to be able to live, which I think is kind of silly.