TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default curious about how u guys handle raw pure thoughts

I am curious about something,

Okay we all know we have these thoughts that we think, these perceptions and subjective insights we have about things, that we analyze according to a whole bunch of shit. This is what creates our internal fields of like/dislike, love/hate all that good stuff. (I'm not talking about socionics Fi either btw which is why it's not in the socionics thread) Whether these pure thoughts are right or wrong or just an illusion/ego is not what I'm going to get into, I want to ask:

what is your main methods of dealing with these thoughts, ie how do you handle your thoughts?

1. Meditate as much as possible so you are really not thinking much at all and you're kinda just sitting there, enjoying things emotionally (but remember living life is bound to create new thoughts) Since it's impossible to stop thinking though this really just means you dwell on a few particular thoughts for a long, deep time.

2. You say whatever it is that's on your mind as soon as the thoughts come up, your thoughts match up with what you do pretty easily. If you're not 'doing something about it' even if seems futile, you don't feel good. It's like you can't tell where you and your thoughts end. This sometimes makes you look "thoughtless" or crass to others. ps: This doesn't include writing down your thoughts.

3. You let your thoughts consume you and just let them play out in your mind until you are energized or until you set on a course of action. Or until you are driven insane. This leads to either extreme fear and self-loathing or extreme enlightenment and finding the best and ideal course of action to quickly rise to a goal, mentally morphing all obstacles beforehand. (#1 form of thought-dealing would just help you prepare for this step)

4. You creatively find a way to express your thoughts, and you feel comfort knowing other people share the same thoughts as you do. You don't really say your own thoughts as much as you play therapist with other's thoughts, but people sharing their disturbing thoughts help you deal with your own.

5. You just think nonstop and there isn't a rhyme or reason, you just....think and think and think and you sort of drift. You can't stop your thoughts, but they don't really drive you crazy. There's no desire to do or not do anything whatsoever about your thoughts, you just let them happen so indifferently. It's like pure psychological neutrality.

6. Immediately go out and observe/collect data if the pure thoughts are true or not. Unlike #2 you don't speak what's on your mind as it comes up, you go look for objective evidence to give your thoughts more weight. However this probably might make you look like a dull person since your thoughts have no subjectivity or levels of 'interest' to them as they are completely validated on the world that already exists instead of in possible potentialities.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    5. You just think nonstop and there isn't a rhyme or reason, you just....think and think and think and you sort of drift. You can't stop your thoughts, but they don't really drive you crazy. There's no desire to do or not do anything whatsoever about your thoughts, you just let them happen so indifferently. It's like pure psychological neutrality.
    I've had to learn to do this due to being an obsessive thinker. In other words, my mind doesn't have an "off" switch.

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    I've had to learn to do this due to being an obsessive thinker. In other words, my mind doesn't have an "off" switch.
    yes because thats a typical statement uttered by sensors, you're definitely SEI.

5 except there is desire to do something.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    yes because thats a typical statement uttered by sensors, you're definitely SEI.
    The problems with my brain have very little to do with my type. I also have weak sensory integration, which means that my body's signals don't reach me properly. "Aha!" you will pounce. "Proof that Gulanzon is an IEE! That's so Intuiter!" But such is not so; it's been treated with neurofeedback and not thinking something is wrong with me when my senses catch up with me.

You know, unless you believe that types are treatable (or not, in some cases) neurological dysfunctions. At which point, by consequence, you would have to believe that type can change by moulding your brain's circuitry (which you can do through neurofeedback).

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

is it weird that i have no idea

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    The problems with my brain have very little to do with my type
    or so you think
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Five, definitely. I let thoughts go wherever they're gonna go and write down and/or talk out the good ones--the "revelations" or what have you.
    Last edited by greed; 01-05-2010 at 02:42 PM.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1. Certainly Not

2. Maybe.

3. Maybe if I'm bored.

4. Huh? No.

5. No.

6. Sure.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Yes, but more out of compulsion than necessity.

2. Nope.

3. It happens.

4. I don't feel better by knowing of other people's problems; that only makes me feel worse really.

5. If I'm very psychologically aroused, I guess maybe.

6. Sorta, but that's more the Ne in me yearning to learn new crap I don't need to learn.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3. You let your thoughts consume you and just let them play out in your mind until you are energized or until you set on a course of action. Or until you are driven insane. This leads to either extreme fear and self-loathing or extreme enlightenment and finding the best and ideal course of action to quickly rise to a goal, mentally morphing all obstacles beforehand. (#1 form of thought-dealing would just help you prepare for this step)
    I kinda imagine this is how tcaudilllg thinks.

As for myself, a mix of:

1. Meditate as much as possible so you are really not thinking much at all and you're kinda just sitting there, enjoying things emotionally (but remember living life is bound to create new thoughts) Since it's impossible to stop thinking though this really just means you dwell on a few particular thoughts for a long, deep time.
    and

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What way of thinking gives you the most personal satisfaction in your life? Ie was there ever a time where you depressed and felt 'unnatural' and was thinking in a different way and if so what number was it?

(this is all part of the study I'm doing. )

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

What way of thinking gives you the most personal satisfaction in your life? Ie was there ever a time where you depressed and felt 'unnatural' and was thinking in a different way and if so what number was it?

(this is all part of the study I'm doing. )
    i don't get turned on by my own thoughts.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    is it weird that i have no idea
    I'm not too sure about this either...

Can I say that I just acknowledge them? I don't make any special effort to produce them, I have stopped them before, I usually don't...I'm not sure that I consider there to be any difference between "raw" thoughts and "refined" thoughts, except that the "refined" thoughts are easier to communicate to others.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uh... the worst I've felt was puzzling over a particularly nasty philosophical conundrum, and so far as I can recall, those have always been resolved by finding a satisfactory answer - which I had been obsessively working towards the whole time, i.e. thinking constantly but not aimlessly drifting, more like frantically searching.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I occasionally do #2 around people who know me super well (like family)

2. You say whatever it is that's on your mind as soon as the thoughts come up, your thoughts match up with what you do pretty easily. If you're not 'doing something about it' even if seems futile, you don't feel good. It's like you can't tell where you and your thoughts end. This sometimes makes you look "thoughtless" or crass to others. ps: This doesn't include writing down your thoughts.

#3, Yup, I do this pretty often.

#4, love the thought sharing things! Though if theirs are too disturbing, it bothers me.

4. You creatively find a way to express your thoughts, and you feel comfort knowing other people share the same thoughts as you do. You don't really say your own thoughts as much as you play therapist with other's thoughts, but people sharing their disturbing thoughts help you deal with your own.

#5, I also think nonstop for no reason in addition to the other ones.

Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess 3 and 6...
    The end is nigh

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah, if I'm depressed I think too deeply with a few thoughts. I'll have these 'chronic' thoughts that bother me. If I'm happy, I make better connections between my thoughts. Of course when I'm depressed, I'll make connections that aren't there.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Apparently I was interpreting "raw thoughts" differently then was intended. I consider refined thoughts to be written and raw thoughts to be unwritten. I'll re-answer, this time considering "raw thoughts" to be a change of thinking after which the current situation improves.

1. This is rediculous. Thinking for the sake of thinking? Going numb? No can no, no point in doing.

2. This is default; I rarely use it and it's neither positive nor negative.

3. I've tried this. It doesn't work.

4. Sounds plausible, but not something I do.

5. See #1.

6. I find this works the best.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-male

I probably spend a lot of time fashioning my raw thoughts into something more structured.... so I probably handle them like building materials a bit, mull them around in my head for a while and stack them up, arrange them around, play around with them, etc... all to try to get them to fit together into some kind of theoretical machinery that I can use to generate more ideas or to efficiently store up knowledge in and crank it out with a little rationalization.

I mean but I kind of strictly define thoughts as stuff with intellectual substance... I mean occasionally my mind does different things, like I can imagine spatial things pretty well, I can close my eyes and re-create a picture of something vivdly in my head and sketch it on paper fairly well... not anything prodigy worthy, but still note worthy... thats the more creative mind stuff though and I really don't think of that so much as "thoughts". Also occasionally a song or some musical idea will pop into my head and I don't consider that a "thought"... and also occasionally when I am being more "irrational Ixxp" I have some random word or phrase pop into my head and I'll blurt it out in an odd accent if I am feeling impulsive... but I don't consider that a "thought", but its rather raw and impulsive and it gets stuck in my head.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am curious about something,

Okay we all know we have these thoughts that we think, these perceptions and subjective insights we have about things, that we analyze according to a whole bunch of shit. This is what creates our internal fields of like/dislike, love/hate all that good stuff. (I'm not talking about socionics Fi either btw which is why it's not in the socionics thread) Whether these pure thoughts are right or wrong or just an illusion/ego is not what I'm going to get into, I want to ask:

what is your main methods of dealing with these thoughts, ie how do you handle your thoughts?

6. Immediately go out and observe/collect data if the pure thoughts are true or not. Unlike #2 you don't speak what's on your mind as it comes up, you go look for objective evidence to give your thoughts more weight. However this probably might make you look like a dull person since your thoughts have no subjectivity or levels of 'interest' to them as they are completely validated on the world that already exists instead of in possible potentialities.

1. carefree static tactician ILE LSI ESI IEE
    2. obstinate processing decider EIE LSI SEE ILI
    3. farsighted dynamic tactician ESE IEI ILI LSE
    4. emotivist feeling perceiver SEI IEI SEE IEE
    5. serious dynamic thinker LIE ILI LSE SLI
    6. serious asking sensor SEE ESI LSE SLI

so I guess 1 & 2

*interestingly enough 1 and 3 are linked, mutually exclusive small cycles as mentioned in the descriptions
    **SLEs, LIIs, and EIIs are not mentioned so I guess they use other methods
    Last edited by Nexus; 01-09-2010 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmm, interesting. I'm always curious as to how other people think and what goes on in their minds. Cool thread!

1. I don't know if this is exactly what you're talking about but I used to really like to do something like this... when I was on the bus in the morning, or didn't want to pay attention to class, or as I was going to sleep at night, I would just sit/lay there and create these stories in my head. Sometimes fictional stories (with made-up characters) and sometimes it would be these scenarios based on my real life (with me in them). I don't do the fictional story thing much- if at all- any more, but I used to really like doing that. Like, I would actually look forward to being in a situation that I could tune everything else out just so that I could continue the story in my head for a little while.

I still do this now, but only if I'm borderline-obsessive over something (or someone, lmao). However, I don't have as much free time as I used to and am therefore much less prone to falling into this- my life now is a lot more occupied- more things to do = more experiences = more to think about = less time/desire to get mentally sucked in by a few specific things. Maybe this is true for most people, but I've always felt especially prone to this.

2. Nah, I pretty much never say "crass" or "thoughtless" things to people (and have never been called such- lol, not to my face at least), even though, a lot of times, I'll be thinking some pretty mean things (and then I feel bad for thinking mean things, haha ). I don't think I constantly monitor everything that comes out of my mouth, however. I mean, I have a filter, but a lot of times I'll just say what comes to mind, too (a lot moreso around people I'm comfortable with than people I just met, though, for sure). Also, I guess I don't always have to be doing whatever it is I'm thinking about... actually, I'm usually doing something and thinking about something else as I'm doing it lmao. It depends on the situation, I suppose, but a decent amount of what I "do" I actually only do in my head.

3. This one is the best fit for me. I guess everything else I've written so far sort of ties into it. Seriously though, the way you wrote that sums it all up better than I ever could have said it, but that is pretty much EXACTLY how things happen for me most of the time. I haven't been driven insane yet, but you know. There's a first time for everything.

4. Yeah, I do this, although anything I "creatively express" is normally more of a feeling. Then again, thoughts and feelings sort of get all jumbled up together in my mind... sometimes it's hard to tell where one ends and where the other begins.

It's kind of sick, but I'm sort of fascinated when people talk about their disturbing thoughts. Like, fascinated and disgusted at the same time. It's interesting (in theory, at least). In any case, I like hearing about what other people think/feel when it gives me some insight as to who they are, deep down- but only if I'm interested in getting to know that person.

And as far as listening to them helping me to deal with my own thoughts, I don't think I really do this, as I feel my thoughts and feelings are pretty separate. What goes on in someone else's mind is kind of irrelevant to me insofar as affecting the way in which I think about something, so this neither helps nor hurts. My thoughts are separate from theirs, etc.

5. No, my thoughts always mean something to me. They aren't just aimless lol, and they're usually related to what I'm doing or what I want to be doing (either directly or indirectly). I don't know if I'm completely understanding what you mean by this, however.

6. Similar to the above answer, I guess. Or- this just doesn't really apply to me, as I don't think my thoughts are ever completely objective. (Then again, whose are?). Well, maybe I can rephrase what I just said better by saying that I never really think about things that don't apply to me in some way, so I always have some degree of interest in them. If I didn't, lol, the thought would just never cross my mind- unless it was something I had to think about for school or work or something like that.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely 3. Tried 1, it was facile escapism. Currently trying to do more of 2. All of the others are just sort of compensatory mechanisms.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit:

2. declaring deciding thinker SLE LSI LIE ILI
    3. asking deciding feeler EIE IEI SEE ESI
    6. serious tactical pessimist ILI LSE ESI IEE
    Last edited by Nexus; 02-03-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#3 fits best to me.

When I'm thinking of something I usually regret that I don't have a pen to write my plans down.
    I rarely think of anything random that I haven't thought of yet. It seems as if I'm always thinking of the same things over and over. Besides I'm almost constantly planning and trying to predict future and kinda run before the events happen.

What do I win?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is generally how dominant Ni is, more or less, especially for ILIs. I do this all the time.