Thread: guessing what's going to happen

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default guessing what's going to happen

What information elements is guessing what's going to happen irl or in a movie/book related to? The obvious answer is Ni, but are there other information elements that could lead people to the same conclusions? Are there types other than Ni egos who are generally good at this?

And what about recognizing patterns in people's behavior and ways of thinking? Obviously this has to be in introverted function (field). Can it be anything other than Ni though?
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is why I hate watching TV, because it's too obvious to me what they are going to do.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    This is why I hate watching TV, because it's too obvious to me what they are going to do.
    I still enjoy TV shows/movies even if I know what's going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Huginn View Post
    I suppose it depends on whether the predictive power comes from attention to detail, imagination, or simply awareness of tropes (in which case the IME is tvtropes.org).
    In my case, it generally comes from analyzing why an author/writer would choose to include a certain scene/shot or present information in a certain way. I decide that it is likely foreshadowing or otherwise setting up the plot for certain events to occur or be revealed later.

Usually Ti, I think. For example, in Cracow Rick said that that Fe-ego, especially Fe-leading types, can have the hardest time typing themselves and possibly even have an entirely different conception of their personality each day because while they are aware of their own behaviour they are not always able to see the "pattern" (the structure of their personality I guess) -- but they are quite receptive to the structuring influence of Ti types.
    I've had a hard time typing myself for the opposite reason. I have poor self-awareness. I believe in my case that it's related to weak Fi.

Part of the interaction of Fe/Ti is that Fe-leading types can accumulate quite a lot of information, and are typically quite good at communicating the information, but without a structuring influence (be it tools, such as training in formal logic, or a Ti-leading type) may have something akin to an unsolved jigsaw puzzle.
    What about Fe and Ti creative types?
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I ask this is because I've always been good with this and have attributed it to Ni. Example from last night:

My family celebrated Christmas last night, and towards the beginning of the time we were exchanging presents, my sister asked my mom where the gift for me and Peter was. She said that they had it somewhere. Since my sister knew that none of the normal sized gifts under the tree was it, I assumed that it had an unusual shape or size. I didn't think much of it though or wonder where it was.

After all the gifts had been unwrapped, my mom said that Peter and I were going to have to look for our gift. I stood up and was going to start glancing around the room when I noticed that the small Christmas tree that the gifts had been under was set up on a box with a blanket over it. I pointed to the box. My mom laughed and was somewhat disappointed that I knew where it was immediately. She had been hoping that we'd search high and low, only to eventually discover that the gift had been with the other presents all along. "But what is it?" she asked as I walked over to it. "A microwave," I said without hesitation as I lifted the blanket to reveal that it was indeed a microwave.

She was shocked at this as well and wondered how I could have possibly known. I think at this point she suspected that I had somehow discovered it earlier in the day or been told by someone. To me it was obvious. The box was the right size and shape, and a microwave would fit in the price range of the gifts my parents had gotten for my siblings. Also, when my sister had asked what I wanted for Christmas, I had told her that I wanted a toaster, a blender, or a microwave (as mine are beginning to wear out).

Anyways, most of the people in the room seemed shocked/impressed by my quick answers. But again, to me it seemed completely obvious. (Wouldn't anyone have noticed these things?) What information element or elements was I using?

(Obviously I wasn't so much "guessing what was going to happen" but rather recognizing what was already there. In the past I would have attributed this to Ni though, hence the topic.)
    SEE

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joy View Post
    What information elements is guessing what's going to happen irl or in a movie/book related to?
    All types do this. Maybe Ni people the least, since it comes naturally to them, they aren't afraid of the future, so they don't go guessing about it constantly.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I ask this is because I've always been good with this and have attributed it to Ni. Example from last night:

My family celebrated Christmas last night, and towards the beginning of the time we were exchanging presents, my sister asked my mom where the gift for me and Peter was. She said that they had it somewhere. Since my sister knew that none of the normal sized gifts under the tree was it, I assumed that it had an unusual shape or size. I didn't think much of it though or wonder where it was.

After all the gifts had been unwrapped, my mom said that Peter and I were going to have to look for our gift. I stood up and was going to start glancing around the room when I noticed that the small Christmas tree that the gifts had been under was set up on a box with a blanket over it. I pointed to the box. My mom laughed and was somewhat disappointed that I knew where it was immediately. She had been hoping that we'd search high and low, only to eventually discover that the gift had been with the other presents all along. "But what is it?" she asked as I walked over to it. "A microwave," I said without hesitation as I lifted the blanket to reveal that it was indeed a microwave.

She was shocked at this as well and wondered how I could have possibly known. I think at this point she suspected that I had somehow discovered it earlier in the day or been told by someone. To me it was obvious. The box was the right size and shape, and a microwave would fit in the price range of the gifts my parents had gotten for my siblings. Also, when my sister had asked what I wanted for Christmas, I had told her that I wanted a toaster, a blender, or a microwave (as mine are beginning to wear out).

Anyways, most of the people in the room seemed shocked/impressed by my quick answers. But again, to me it seemed completely obvious. (Wouldn't anyone have noticed these things?) What information element or elements was I using?

(Obviously I wasn't so much "guessing what was going to happen" but rather recognizing what was already there. In the past I would have attributed this to Ni though, hence the topic.)
    Sounds like Ti to me. You deduced the answers using logical reasoning.
    I think people using Ni usually can't completely put into words how they knew of something. I think Ni is more useful for abstract things, such as using patterns/observations to predict how someone is going to act or how someone feels about something/someone, what someone is thinking, probable consequences of some action, etc.

And yes, Jarno, you're right. Ni-users dont guess. We KNOW.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ni users know what's going to happen after 2012 ?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
    Ni users know what's going to happen after 2012 ?

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    All types do this. Maybe Ni people the least, since it comes naturally to them, they aren't afraid of the future, so they don't go guessing about it constantly.
    snap
    The end is nigh

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seconded. I know Ni seeking who do this all the time, and Ni-PoLR types who ask these kinds of questions much more than I might. Basically, everyone does it much more than I do, or Ni types do. Respectively.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. That really hit me where it hurts.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm good at guessing what's going to happen just because I know what would make a good story line and, apparently, so do the authors or directors. I think my SLE brother does it the same way. He keeps accusing me of reading his mind.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do Ni creatives guess about the future?
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The future guesses about them.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good times.
    SEE

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe so. I've always thought it was Ni.
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I think about it, I think it might be related in a way to Fe especially in the sense I'm thinking of, along with Expat's sense of reading in between the lines. Te types being more inclined to stick to what is known and made clear, and follow at the front of a dynamic progression in effort not to miss anything, where as Fe types are more inclined to shift ahead in effort to realign and gain a better feel. I know for certain that Fe types are more likely to playfully engage in guessing games than Te types. My comment to the question "what do you think about this, or what do you think will happen?" is always along the lines of, "I don't know, nor do I care, because it will be made clear soon." which is followed by something like "you've never thought about it before? you're no fun." And my silent thought, which is often pointless to continually make a comment about is along the lines of "Of course I have, that's why I'm not doing it now."
    Last edited by 717495; 01-05-2010 at 12:31 PM.

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playful guessing games is not at all like guessing what's going to happen. Or knowing by the size, shape, and likely price range of an item that it's a microwave. (I didn't guess. I knew. And I didn't state it playfully.)
    SEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playful guessing games is not at all like guessing what's going to happen. Or knowing by the size, shape, and likely price range of an item that it's a microwave. (I didn't guess. I knew. And I didn't state it playfully.)
    Well if you know something off the bat like that, then it is a matter of logic. "Obviously by the size, shape, and price range that it is a microwave." But I disagree in saying that a playful guessing game is not like guessing what is going to happen. Fe types I know do this all the time in effort to raise their spirits or the spirits of the group, where as the Te type might chose to ignore such for the time being until it becomes factually informative enough, and in the meantime focus on something else.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think playful guessing games are more Ne than Fe related.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Ni is certainly one that can contribute to that, but I think that Ne has that ability as well. The way it's accomplished is slightly different. Predictive abilities done the Ne way is relying more heavily on the recent past events and then being able to come up with "likely" scenarios given what has just transpired. This comes from being able to recognize patterns (from previous experiences) in the sense of looking at a series of events from the recent past, saying "Ah, I've seen this before, that means that ____ is probably going to happen".

Basically, it's being able to produce a series of possibilities given the recent developments.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    I think that Ni is certainly one that can contribute to that, but I think that Ne has that ability as well. The way it's accomplished is slightly different. Predictive abilities done the Ne way is relying more heavily on the recent past events and then being able to come up with "likely" scenarios given what has just transpired. This comes from being able to recognize patterns (from previous experiences) in the sense of looking at a series of events from the recent past, saying "Ah, I've seen this before, that means that ____ is probably going to happen".
    Basically, it's being able to produce a series of possibilities given the recent developments.
    That's exactly how I as an INTp perceive and understand the world around me . I suspect, Ne and Ni are the only two functions to be a little too intertwined to tell differences clearly. Either that, or maybe as they both deal with intangible aspects, it is difficult to mark out their territories in practise. So much so, I constantly feel ENFps are broadcasting my views.

Regarding the visceral intuition that every human being does feel/sense to some extent, some studies may explain the components and source of that intuition:

Gut Feelings May Actually Reflect Reliable Memories

Go With Your Gut -- Intuition Is More Than Just A Hunch, Says New Research

Intuition Can Be Explained

An observation: Intuition (as observed in Socionics) seems more driven by memories (apart from the ability for abstraction) than experiencing (Se+Si). I think that is why a lot of intuiters with T(e+i) PoLRs still have fantastic grasp of concepts.
    NiTe

The metaphysics of yesterday is the physics of today.