Thread: The Sound of Music (movie)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Sound of Music (movie)

they're playing it on abc tonight so I'm watching it.

Maria: ENFp?
    Baroness: ENTj?
    Colonel: ESTj?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-bg

great movie

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she's so clearly infantile and he's so clearly a caregiver the way he keeps kissing her forehead and she seems so childish with him. it's totally not my style of romance. so very delta.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    she's so clearly infantile and he's so clearly a caregiver the way he keeps kissing her forehead and she seems so childish with him. it's totally not my style of romance. so very delta.
    What is your style (if you don't mind, that is)?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnte View Post
    What is your style (if you don't mind, that is)?
    well I'm a victim so in theory (and probably in reality), I prefer a romance where the partners find the other to be a worthy opponent. when the victim pulls away, this doesn't deter the aggressor. he's baited and doesn't give up. he knows he has her but she makes him work for it and the tension builds. that's just general tho--it depends on the individuals involved. But none of this "I'm the child, you're the parent" type of romance which I feel is pretty evident in this movie, especially the garden scene.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    i kiss girls on the forehead sometimes. does that mean i'm a caregiver?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    i kiss girls on the forehead sometimes. does that mean i'm a caregiver?
    no but in that particular romantic context, it was. I mean, if you kiss a girl on the forehead the first time you express your love for her.... you're probably a caregiver.

(incidentally, if you're wondering about ENTp vs. ESTp, you might think about romance styles, whether you're an infantile--ENTp or aggressor ESTp)
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, if you kiss a girl on the forehead the first time you express your love for her.... you're probably a caregiver.
    Maybe I'm the only IEE who thinks this, but BLEH. Yes, you could put me in the 'playful' and 'affectionate' category, but if a guy ever kisses me on the forehead more often than he kisses me on the lips, it's over.
    IEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Maybe I'm the only IEE who thinks this, but BLEH. Yes, you could put me in the 'playful' and 'affectionate' category, but if a guy ever kisses me on the forehead more often than he kisses me on the lips, it's over.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    well to be honest, it's usually a tease.

and for some reason, a lot of girls seem to want a real kiss after that.

but then, i like to say things like "it's over" and "i love you like a brother" and "i just want to use you" and blah blah...

it's funny, some girls get so worked up over little things. and can get kind of defensive..

like if you just meet a girl, and you say "it's over" she can be all like "we don't have a relationship", if you say "i love you like a brother" she can be all like "i'm not a guy!" if you say "i just want to use you" she can be all like "maybe i want to be used".

i think some people take "love" way too seriously.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    well to be honest, it's usually a tease.

and for some reason, a lot of girls seem to want a real kiss after that.

but then, i like to say things like "it's over" and "i love you like a brother" and "i just want to use you" and blah blah...

it's funny, some girls get so worked up over little things. and can get kind of defensive..

like if you just meet a girl, and you say "it's over" she can be all like "we don't have a relationship", if you say "i love you like a brother" she can be all like "i'm not a guy!" if you say "i just want to use you" she can be all like "maybe i want to be used".

i think some people take "love" way too seriously.
    you're such a tease.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Sound of Music

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I just had an epiphany!

The Captain = SLE

Maria = IEI

Note also how he softens under her influence! It's the pings of Fe!!
    I get it now!!!

EDIT (12/26/2010): please disregard this thread--it was made back exactly one year ago (WOW!), when i was a newb and my understanding of socionics was TOTALLY off. At the time I thought i was IEI (even though i'm really IEE). Which explains why i thought Maria was IEI (she is actually the same type as me). And thus why I related so much to the Captain to call him her dual.
    Last edited by Suz; 12-27-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: OOPS I was totally wrong: Maria = IEE, the Captain = delta ST. And pings of Fi!! I had things all backwards then...
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Never seen it.
    Never seen the sound of music?

You've been missing out!

It's a must see!

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seen this film, but looong time ago. Not bad.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more like LSI and EIE. : )

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarinana View Post
    more like LSI and EIE. : )
    hmm i see what you mean. He wasn't much of a talker and seemed to be the brooding type.

What did it for me was the party scene. He was mingling easily and knew just what to say. When things started getting confusing/too dramatic, she ran off to seclude herself at the abbey.

Also, I feel like she was using a whole lot of Ni in terms of seeing through the initial family problems, reading the cattiness of the fiancee, as well as seeing the good inside him.

I also thought her use of Fe was pretty creative. I mean, obviously there's going to be more Fe being expressed just because she's a musician and there was a lot of music and singing going on. But in between the music, i thought she was kind of inside her head a lot. And when she did use Fe it seemed to usually be for a purpose. Maybe IEI-Fe?

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    hmm i see what you mean. He wasn't much of a talker and seemed to be the brooding type.

What did it for me was the party scene. He was mingling easily and knew just what to say. When things started getting confusing/too dramatic, she ran off to seclude herself at the abbey.

Also, I feel like she was using a whole lot of Ni in terms of seeing through the initial family problems, reading the cattiness of the fiancee, as well as seeing the good inside him.

I also thought her use of Fe was pretty creative. I mean, obviously there's going to be more Fe being expressed just because she's a musician and there was a lot of music and singing going on. But in between the music, i thought she was kind of inside her head a lot. And when she did use Fe it seemed to usually be for a purpose. Maybe IEI-Fe?
    Could be. But they both seemed too organized to be beta irrational. :wink:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a thread on this awhile back:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...und-music.html

I don't know if I still have the same opinion. But anyway.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the captain was LSI>>SLE. He seemed more concerned with order and procedure than I would imagine an SLE would

Probably EIE for Maria, a little more energetic and scattered for an Fe creative, but I'm really not too sure...
    EII INFj
    Forum status: retired

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marie84 View Post
    I thought the captain was LSI>>SLE. He seemed more concerned with order and procedure than I would imagine an SLE would

Probably EIE for Maria, a little more energetic and scattered for an Fe creative, but I'm really not too sure...
    I guess you guys are right. LSI-EIE. Interesting.

I dont think I know any LSIs, except maaaybe a very good girl-friend of mine who types as ISTP in MBTI but our interaction seems to be more like activity partners and she seems like she is beta. So it's hard for me to pinpoint what their general aura is.

I am curious how an IEI-SLE relationship "looks" to an onlooker.

Oh and redbaron, I see what you mean with the caregiver/infantile moves. I hadn't really paid attention to that when I came to my conclusion. yeah i guess i would feel weird being kissed on the forehead. But then again, this is a family movie from the 50s or 60s so maybe a passionate french kiss was not seen as appropriate for the screen?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WorkaholicsAnon View Post
    I guess you guys are right. LSI-EIE. Interesting.

I dont think I know any LSIs, except maaaybe a very good girl-friend of mine who types as ISTP in MBTI but our interaction seems to be more like activity partners and she seems like she is beta. So it's hard for me to pinpoint what their general aura is.

I am curious how an IEI-SLE relationship "looks" to an onlooker.

Oh and redbaron, I see what you mean with the caregiver/infantile moves. I hadn't really paid attention to that when I came to my conclusion. yeah i guess i would feel weird being kissed on the forehead. But then again, this is a family movie from the 50s or 60s so maybe a passionate french kiss was not seen as appropriate for the screen?
    haha, good point! Yeah I def. see the Captain as LSI.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Sound of Music musical types

Ok i totally messed up my typings last year when i was a complete newb thinking i was IEI. Now watching the Sound of Music tonight exactly one year later, here are my new typings. (some are tentative though)

And as always I welcome discussion!

Maria -- IEE

The Captain -- Delta ST (cant decide LSE vs SLI)

The Baronness -- SEE? or ESI? She seemed very attuned to and adept with Fi. But in a Gamma sort of way, maybe? confirm, Gammas!!

The reverend mother -- I get a mirror vibe between her and Maria. EII?

Liesel -- ILE? She seemed sort of infantile in the gazebo scene with Rolf.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria is IEE! Awesome!

Okay, I actually just watched "Thoroughly Modern Millie" last night (for the first time) with Julie Andrews as Millie, and I also got the impression that Millie could be an IEE.

Is Julie Andrews herself IEE, then?

I would think the Captain more likely to be LSE than SLI. But you're right, it's a difficult decision. Because he might just be acting more...regimented due to his military training, and attempting to deal with the grief of losing his wife...

This thread makes me want to reread Mrs. Trapp's autobiography.
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    Maria is IEE! Awesome!

Okay, I actually just watched "Thoroughly Modern Millie" last night (for the first time) with Julie Andrews as Millie, and I also got the impression that Millie could be an IEE.

Is Julie Andrews herself IEE, then?

I would think the Captain more likely to be LSE than SLI. But you're right, it's a difficult decision. Because he might just be acting more...regimented due to his military training, and attempting to deal with the grief of losing his wife...

This thread makes me want to reread Mrs. Trapp's autobiography.
    I think Julie Andrews is IEE... she does sort of VI it.

I worked on typing Christopher Plummer (the actor playing the Captain) a few months ago and settled on Te-LSE based on interviews. But especially in the first half of the movie, he came across so Fe-POLR to me, actually 2nd half too as I'm watching it now. Well, Te-subtype whichever one he is.

Some people in the past have argued LSI for the Captain on the basis of his regimentedness and order in the beginning of the movie, but I strongly disagree. I see it exactly the way you said--that that sort of behavior was a product of his military training put to use to keep a potentially chaotic household of 7 naughty kids without a governess running at maximum efficiency. Also exactly as you said, could have been in part fueled by his depression over his wife's death. That "order" quickly fizzled as soon as Maria got there.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I believe Christopher Plummer is EIE. Although his character is STj from what I remember.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EIE??? that's a new one... How do you explain that?

His face shows like zero emotion.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most emotions are subtle and under the surface. A person doesn't have to be an extroverted beast or very directly expressive to have an intentional impact on how the people around him feel, or to draw attention to himself. A natural born thespian, especially an intuitive type, like Christopher Plummer, can surgically manipulate the atmosphere around him in very sophisticated ways. The role of "gentleman", which he's chosen, is also usually associated with being calm, reserved and eloquent, and presenting a complete image of himself is something he'd naturally be attuned to as an EIE. Although It's not a strong typing or anything. It's possible that I'm overstating his Fe and that he's another type instead.

EDIT: IMO introvert / extrovert in Eysenck's sense is a pretty useless dichotomy and leads to wrong conclusions.

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    Most emotions are subtle and under the surface. A person doesn't have to be an extroverted beast or very directly expressive to have an intentional impact on how the people around him feel, or to draw attention to himself. A natural born thespian, especially an intuitive type, like Christopher Plummer, can surgically manipulate the atmosphere around him in very sophisticated ways. The role of "gentleman", which he's chosen, is also usually associated with being calm, reserved and eloquent, and presenting a complete image of himself is something he'd naturally be attuned to as an EIE. Although It's not a strong typing or anything. It's possible that I'm overstating his Fe and that he's IEI instead.

EDIT: IMO introvert / extrovert in Eysenck's sense is a pretty useless dichotomy and leads to wrong conclusions.
    Well in several scenes in the movie i thought there was a lot of room to act it a lot more dramatically and expressively than he did. In particular, the whole love scene between him and Maria after she comes back from the Abbey. It was very Fi-centered, not Fe i thought. And he seemed quite clumsy with the Fe there, tbh. And during the concert, when he was breaking down into tears singing "Edelweiss"--clumsily done. Contrast to Sean Connery's acting (EIE) or Dustin Hoffman.

I dont think Plummer's "gentleman" persona is an act. I think that's how he really is.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in several scenes in the movie i thought there was a lot of room to act it a lot more dramatically and expressively than he did. In particular, the whole love scene between him and Maria after she comes back from the Abbey. It was very Fi-centered, not Fe i thought. And he seemed quite clumsy with the Fe there, tbh. And during the concert, when he was breaking down into tears singing "Edelweiss"--clumsily done.
    I'm not a qualified enough to dissect acting decisions or give reasons for why they turned out that way, so I'll leave it at that.

I have never seen Sean Connery typed as EIE, could you explain that to me please? The typings of him that make the most sense to me are ESTj or ISTj.

I dont think Plummer's "gentleman" persona is an act. I think that's how he really is.
    Sure, but a person can also very much be their act.

TIM
    whatever
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maria: EIE
    Colonel: ST, maybe LSI