Thread: Attention

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Exclamation Attention

What is you opinion on receiving attention? Here are some senarios you can respond to; feel free to add more to the list.

More attention to your work from your boss than is given to coworkers?
    Guys teasing you?
    Girls teasing you?
    Peers bugging you to go stand on the sidewalk with them and talk about anything irrelevant to the current situation of the planet?
    Girls whispering behind your back and pointing at you?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In general, I like attention, but it's no priority. If I can naturally maintain the center of attention, I enjoy doing so.

Depends. If I hadn't been working long that might make me nervous. "Why are they paying so much attention to me?" "Am I doing it wrong?" ..or.. it might make me proud. "Ah, I'll get recognized for how well I'm doing."

Guys teasing you?
    Irritating.

Girls teasing you?
    Fun. I'd tease back.

Peers bugging you to go stand on the sidewalk with them and talk about anything irrelevant to the current situation of the planet?
    Depends on the topic and the people.

That would invoke a "What?"
    3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

My responses are pretty much the same as yours.

I'd like that. It would show that my boss considers me more capable.

Guys teasing you?
    Depends. I'll put up with it. Sometimes I'm in the mood to like it.

Girls teasing you?
    I like it, but with all teasing I only tease back if I know the person very well and am in the mood.

Weird. Can be annoying, but if the weather's nice and I'm very bored it might be welcome.

I probably have a paper bird in my hair or am wearing long colorful socks with shorts and sandals. I'll probably grin at them.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    What is you opinion on receiving attention? Here are some senarios you can respond to; feel free to add more to the list.

More attention to your work from your boss than is given to coworkers? Mostly guilty
    Guys teasing you? I'd rather be somewhere else
    Girls teasing you? Awkward
    Peers bugging you to go stand on the sidewalk with them and talk about anything irrelevant to the current situation of the planet? Slightly annoyed
    Girls whispering behind your back and pointing at you? Thinking about the prospects of them saying something bad about me and then feeling like I'd rather be somewhere else. Then thinking about the prospects of them saying something good about me and then feeling kind of embarrassed.
    The gist of what I'm saying is that I don't feel comfortable being the center of attention or having most of the attention available. If I need to be the center of attention in a planned, fixed setting, for instance if I'm giving a speech, then it's ok and tolerable. In any other non-controlled environment, I feel awkward having the attention.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tereg View Post
    Hmm...looks like you don't like attention. Is there a circumstance where you welcome it?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on what kind of attention I suppose.

I don't have workplace experience, so I'll use school experience in its stead. Honestly I can feel a little uncomfortable being talked about by a teacher, regardless of whether what I said was correct or not. Granted it's always a nice feeling to be right, but the attention can be a tad overwhelming I suppose.

Guys teasing me:
    Depends on my mood, who's doing it, and what kind of teasing it is. I'm generally not the biggest fan of teasing, unless it's very apparent that such teasing is done sarcastically. I'm generally pretty lenient about it with friends

Girls teasing me:
    Same as above.

Peers bugging you to etc etc:
    I'm not sure what "current situation of the planet" means, but I guess I don't mind idle chitchat. Again, depends on who the people are.

Girls whispering behind your back and pointing at you:
    The only time this ever happened was in Japan, and I kinda welcomed the idea of being a foreigner so I didn't mind it. Were they American girls though, I'd probably feel at least somewhat uncomfortable.

Added something

Group Conversations:
    Honestly group conversations can be weird for me, especially when we're discussing serious matters. If I ever decide to talk about something within a group of people I'm not all too familiar with, I can feel a bit uncomfortable. When a group's focus is directed at me, my instinctual thought is "why are they looking at me what did I do wrong I hope I don't say something stupid." It's something I can push through fairly easily, but the feeling is always there.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    Hmm...looks like you don't like attention. Is there a circumstance where you welcome it?
    Sorry for the ninja editing of my post.

I do think that if I sensed that a friend enjoyed being around me and liked to spend time with me, I would greatly value that.

So, in very formal, structured situations, attention is just fine. In "hanging out" kind of situations where I'm just spending time doing random whatever with a friend, that kind of attention is valued.

In more spontaneous situations or if I'm not too familiar with the people giving me the attention, then I don't feel so comfortable.

ETA: Although if a good friend were to tease me or something, it wouldn't be so bad, but it would still be slightly awkward.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx