Here is an insight I had about socionics with a group member in private about a day ago:

The most important four functions when constructing and maintaining a society are Fe/Fi and Te/Ti.

Ne/Ni and Se/Si are more about 'personal strength' and inner worlds and have little to do with the *external* construction of a society. In Ni and Ne's case they are more about raw insight, which is interesting and can be very accurate, but has nothing to do with the actual glue that upholds a society. Se organizes and moves people around, but more for realizing personal goals and an attempt to make Ni's visions into a reality.

The sort of raw power of Se (and the personal comfort of Si), and the insights of Ne/Ni, are just all too much on the individual/small-group level to build the external society in which we all live and work and play, etc.

So therefore, shared Ne/Ni and Se/Si aren't as important in mainstream social situations as the other two functions. When you take society out of the equation, and put a beta/gamma together in private, they will get along much, much better then they would in an institutionalized setting.

I mean some people have an adolescent viewpoint that all society is a 'veil' or a useless system, etc. and I'd agree in principal however civilization and external society is also a good thing as it does protect me by equalizing everybody's emotional natures. The system just has to be built in a Fe/Ti way for me and not a Fi/Te way. Otherwise I will flat-out refuse to participate in society no matter how many incentives you give me, because the raw psychological energy of human relationships are always, always the most important thing.