Thread: Intuition: Accuracy vs Speed metaphor

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Intuition: Accuracy vs Speed metaphor

Have you heard of the game "snake" or "worm" that is typically available on cell phones? You control a worm or snake to try to eat these tiny balls inside a boxed arena, and each time you eat one you get longer and your snake becomes harder to weave around. The point is that you lose by crashing into the walls or your snake body.

There are many levels available on "snake" that have adjusted speeds. You can control a slow snake, that is easier to control, you can more accurately set yourself up at aiming for the tiny balls, and you can more easily weave around yourself and spend more time thinking about where to go to avoid the walls and to "zero in."

You can control a faster snake, which allows you to eat the balls faster and complete levels faster, so long as you have enough accuracy to stay on track and not crash and have to start over.

I think a decent metaphor for Ni and Ne is that of accuracy and speed. You have heard of the tunnel vision for Ni egos, where they can focus in on something, down a direct path of thought, and assure themselves the probability that something will happen. I believe Ni egos are more able to have this foresight because they take their thoughts more slowly yet more accurately, like a slow game of snake. The snake is able to zero in on targets, and assure themselves of chances. However they don't always have the time to adjust their place. They have to often pursue just what they can see down the line, and they don't not necessarily have this booming tunnel of thought where everything is made known instantly. Ni dominants are typically slower thinkers, and might often need a push.

So overall I think Ni is focused on accuracy, and it has to compensate it's thoughts for its slower speed, by focusing. I believe that when we begin moving faster, we start to lose accuracy.

I think Ne is more typically gauged by speed, and weaving to new areas, looking subtly at viewpoints it comes across, by controlling a faster more explorative snake. These types are typically more accepting of various viewpoints and therefore have a tendency to rush off into a different directions and see what else it can do or come up with. It is faster so it can get to all of these areas (You should know that the slow level is usually easier in the game of snake, and people chose a faster level because its more challenging).

Well Ne thinkers like to challenge viewpoints all the time, saying but "what about this instead" and think excessively about the possibilities, sometimes having a hard time being comfortable with having an opinion. Ne however must learn how to slow down and focus minimally, in order to hit the dot, or else they won't move on, and will be stuck contemplating over the same set of possibilities while constantly missing their target. Now I should also mention that I think very smart and focused Ne types will be able to finish the game faster and with a higher score (simply because it is within probability.)

Then again this is just a metaphor, and not all elements of reality stand true in theory.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe focusing --> slower speed rather than slower speed --> focusing.

Ni thinkers gather, think, then spew, hence the lag. hmm maybe?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, introverted functions are always slower than extraverted ones, so it's true that Ni processing is slower than Ne processing. On the plus side, its slowness gives more solidity than Ne, since Ni usually creates a framework for the idea rather than one instance.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

this also relates to physical actions irl (not just thought processes), I think people with a dominant introverted function (ni, si, fi or ti) in their egos will have slower but more idealistic actions, pretty much known fact that introverts have more deliberate actions. with writing and personal empowerment introverts shine in this area cause it takes a very thoughtful gradual, deliberate planned approach to fix somebody's emotional world. also explains why introverts flock to mmorpgs too, get strong slowly over time with planning.