Thread: Types and Religion

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and Religion.

Do you think certain types have a propensity towards certain religions?
    ﴾ لَهُمْ دَارُ السَّلاَمِ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّهُمْ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ ﴿
    "When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand.
    If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue.
    If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart.
    And this is the weakest of faith."

Creepy-male

SLIs and IEEs probably go for something like secular humanism. Alpha NTs for atheism.

I think there's no neat pattern to superimpose over Socionics wrt religion, though. For those that are indoctrinated at an early age, probably only Alpha NTs would "convert" to atheism (or a satire religion). For those that pick up or develop their spiritual beliefs later, it's most likely going to be out of worldview and who the individual is in contact with. Obviously the former can be influenced by type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post
    SLIs and IEEs probably go for something like secular humanism. Alpha NTs for atheism.

I think there's no neat pattern to superimpose over Socionics wrt religion, though. For those that are indoctrinated at an early age, probably only Alpha NTs would "convert" to atheism (or a satire religion). For those that pick up or develop their spiritual beliefs later, it's most likely going to be out of worldview and who the individual is in contact with. Obviously the former can be influenced by type.
    Yeah, I've really noticed that pattern with NTs...it seems that almost always happens...hmm...My husband is very odd though...He's an NT and he became Muslim on his own. (:
    ﴾ لَهُمْ دَارُ السَّلاَمِ عِندَ رَبِّهِمْ وَهُوَ وَلِيُّهُمْ بِمَا كَانُواْ يَعْمَلُونَ ﴿
    "When you see an evil act you have to stop it with your hand.
    If you can't, then at least speak out against it with your tongue.
    If you can't, then at least you have to hate it with all your heart.
    And this is the weakest of faith."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolanzon View Post

Gul, Wouldn't xSTx types have a "gotta see it to believe it" perspective?
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
    Gul, Wouldn't xSTx types have a "gotta see it to believe it" perspective?
    It depends. I'll drag in my case study to talk about what she feels.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure types have a propensity towards certain religions/non-religion.

However, by that i don't mean "Islam", "atheism", "Buddhism", etc.

It would be very specific religious sects, strains, or sub-philosophies.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    More on this:

My SLE ex told me that God told him we had to break up. .
    He has a fool for a God.
    ISTp
    SLI

Enneagram 5 with a side of wings.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be very specific religious sects, strains, or sub-philosophies.
    Truth. The stereotype that alpha NTs move away from religion is due to the fact that, for quite a while, emphasis in many mainstream religions has been on faith-despite-evidence/traditionalism/not thinking, rather than providing the evidence that supports the religion's claims. There are some very rational religious groups/movements/etc., (tending towards a priori arguments, for obvious reasons) that attract many LIIs and ILEs. Similarly, an IEI might tend towards something resembling gnosticism, mysticism, New Age spirituality, etc., but there are also groups within mainstream religions that very much emphasize the mystery and esoteric aspects of their various conceptions of God/Nature/the Soul/whatever. An EIE might tend towards pentacostalism with its emphasis on emotional expression. An ESE might tend towards groups that emphasize charity/good works (which are important to nearly every religion). Basically, my thought is that one function of religion is explaining how the world is. So, if the explanation is good enough, it ought to be able to translate into any one of the IEs.

Also, I agree that without outside influence an xSTx is likely to tend towards believing whatever they were brought up to believe, but this is easily remedied by a bit of Ni or Ne.
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is just a rough, general rule but:

IEI: self-help on the most pure level, really putting the SELF in self-help, finding your own unique path, defining what your OWN spiritual path is for you, very liberal, revolutionizing the texts

LSE: Following the rules, dogmatic by-the-book Christianity.

ESE: A more 'nicer' version than the LSE, but still by-the-book and much more conservative and committed then the IEI

LIE: Something that can be objectively true for everybody in the world

IEE: General feel-good stuff. But very democratic and socialized.

INTp (too lazy to look up what the three letter acronym is): Witchcraft, paganism

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

If I had to choose a religion, I'd choose one with nice quaint churches, no animal sacrifices, strawberry jam, and no dogma...but if I was allowed that selection, I don't see why I'd be forced to choose in the first place! My religion of preference would be Protestantism\Anglicanism, just because that's what I've been used to.

I used to think that atheism was a cold position to have, but now I just appreciate that this is just a basic stance I hold which is naturally contrary to many religions. As for humanism - that can apply to a wide variety of views and I've never felt the need to attach myself to one particular banner!

I do think that fear of not having a religion is a key factor for many people - even now the thought of starting completely from scratch is terrifying to me.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sema sahin View Post
    Do you think certain types have a propensity towards certain religions?
    Probably not.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box