Thread: Higher Ed & Typing

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Higher Ed & Typing

How do you see the relationship between higher education and typing as a variable facility affecting personal and social development, social and political engagement, and last but not least intellectual engagement in the college classroom at the undergraduate or graduate level?

The effect of personality types on the quality of instruction in higher ed seems to be one of the most undertheorized subjects discussed in higher ed. From my experience, understanding typing and its effect on social interaction on the public nature of a semi-private classroom experience would only enhance the learning experience. Personality preferences or public persona can significantly affect learning outcomes from the instructor's personality and teaching style to public discussion or engagement among learners (reflective of their individual personalities and learning styles) as participants and observers in the democratic political process of idea exchange. The classroom is a smorgasbord of public/social engagement, depending heavily on its participants and their positions on various issues, approaches to social interaction in a public setting, knowledge construction, as influenced by personal and cultural background, experiences, talents, skills, or abilities.

I know my writing style is a tad bit convoluted, but what do you make of this connection between personality typing and higher ed efficiency?

Discuss.
    EII

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Socionics would tell us what types are better or worse teachers. As far as Socionics is concerned, people would most likey learn better from people in their quadra, but that's about as far as it goes I think.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I don't think Socionics would tell us what types are better or worse teachers. As far as Socionics is concerned, people would most likey learn better from people in their quadra, but that's about as far as it goes I think.
    The question is not so much about how to use socionics to tell whether or not someone will be a good teacher but to question the role of personality typing and preferences on social interaction and the learning process in the college classroom. I'm not sure if I agree that someone will necessarily learn better from someone in their quadra.
    EII

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best people to learn from are identicals.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Best people to learn from are identicals.
    Do you mind explaining why?
    EII

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parcel View Post
    Do you mind explaining why?
    Because people most naturally present material in a way that they themselves would understand it.
    IEE-Ne | ENFP | 4w3-6w7-9w1 so/sp/sx | sCoA|I| | Sanguine/Choleric | Benevolent Inventor

birthday frog wishes you a happy birthday
    birthday frog will give you presents and a card on your birthday
    birthday frog is Fe incarnate

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by parcel View Post
    I'm not sure if I agree that someone will necessarily learn better from someone in their quadra.
    You're right. Quadra values will typically have the most influence on interest in genres of knowledge or learning styles (any piece of the learning system) but does not mean you won't learn more from any other in trial circumstance. You might be learning items of a higher level of development, say with your ego functions, because you are so used to using them, but that doens't mean you can't improve on your weak areas at a faster rate, even though the knowledge upon weak areas will be sorted through the ego. There is a small branch of socionics that says you can't perceive or strengthen your non-valued functions, which in my opinion makes no sense. Some people decide to think that because they don't want to improve, and are trying to justify how they can't. These people are called idealist dunces.
    Last edited by 717495; 08-31-2009 at 07:06 PM.