Thread: The ability to relate

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The ability to relate

What type has the best ability to relate to others?

By relating, I mean you have the same shared experience, you know innately 'what something is like' after having lived it, not just read about it or whatnot. If somebody never went camping, they can't truly relate to somebody who has. (For example) So I mean what type can best relate to others, primarily. I find that when you can't relate to others, the communication is more stiff, formal and awkward.

I find that as an IEI, or maybe just me- I have trouble relating to people as a whole. I seem to be better in the counseling position where I offer them a new idea that they haven't done before, then I am of relating to their experiences. I can relate to a few individuals pretty well, but when it comes to most people in society, their experiences and interests are so different than mine (and vice-versa) that there's no real relation or understanding happening.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty much the opposite. If someone's like "we went camping..." then I can be like "OH MAN, yeah, [insert funny story]" and the conversation is awesome and open. But if they're talking about something I've never done before, or even seen before, I just kind of smile blankly, nod, and listen until I can change the subject. I can't relate and don't like trying to relate to anything I don't have personal experience with.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    What type has the best ability to relate to others?

By relating, I mean you have the same shared experience, you know innately 'what something is like' after having lived it, not just read about it or whatnot. If somebody never went camping, they can't truly relate to somebody who has. (For example) So I mean what type can best relate to others, primarily. I find that when you can't relate to others, the communication is more stiff, formal and awkward.
    This seems like a limited definition to me. I dont agree with it either.

Anyway, IMHO, IEE's.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thePirate View Post
    This seems like a limited definition to me. I dont agree with it either.

Anyway, IMHO, IEE's.
    I agree
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming you mean something along the lines of putting yourself in someone's shoes, even if you've never directly experienced the experience you're talking about? I can do this rather well, and actually, I do it often, almost instinctively. I usually can imagine or relate the experience to something else, and then ask questions if I'm not completely sure. Wasn't it in your type descripitions concerning NeFi that they seemed to be able to "understand" everyone even though they never really experienced their plight? I'll guess NeFi then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say EII as well.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.