Thread: Gamma fiction (books, games, anime, etc)

TIM
    SLI 5w6
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gamma fiction (books, games, anime, etc)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think alot of those writers from southern gothic literature i read in english class were gamma. that or EII

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I agree on The Count of Montecristo.

Alfred Bester's best-known science-fiction books are Gamma: The Demolished Man and, most obviously of all, The Stars My Destination.

Colleen McCullough's novels are pure ESI. For a portrayal contrasting LIE-ESI duality with SLE-IEI duality, with an obvious bias for the former, check her Antony and Cleopatra.

Gore Vidal's The City and the Pillar is an example of gay Gamma fiction.

I will list others.

ETA: I had forgotten: Wuthering Heights.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The animes One Piece and Naruto (especially One Piece).

The manga (and live action movie) 21st Century Boys (highly recommended).

Dragon Ball is sort of a beta/gamma mix, but I'd say it leans toward gamma.

In fact, there's a lot of gamma stuff in Japan, and it seems like it's a lot more popular there than it is in the west. Even the predominantly beta shonen Bleach has an ESI main protagonist. I wonder if that's because Japan is a beta culture that's undergoing a "gamma renaissance" in the spirit of the Alpha>Beta>Gamma>Delta quadra revolutions Expat wrote about a while back.

The horrible "Sword of Truth" fantasy series by Terry Goodkind (an ESI -- good at descriptive writing and coming up with ideas, but terrible at dialog and storytelling). It's heavy on black and white gamma justice and moral objectivity.

H.P. Lovecraft might be gamma. His books tend to focus on a kind of sinister, omnipresent evil that no one has any hope of defeating. His descriptive prose seems to dwell on the the way the environment affects the character's inner emotional state. Perhaps a kind of paranoid ILI view of Fi. Not sure though.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kill Bill, while maybe not predominantly gamma, is a pretty good example of an ESI revenge story. The Bride is totally remorseless in her mission to kill the people who killed her fiancé and unborn child.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

H.P. Lovecraft might be gamma. His books tend to focus on a kind of sinister, omnipresent evil that no one has any hope of defeating.
    That isn't type related, because Joss Whedon, an IEI Beta- created The First Evil that is exactly like that. I enjoyed The First, and I like evil that can't be killed because really, 'evil as a whole' can't be destroyed, that is just dumb. And not very fun.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    That isn't type related, because Joss Whedon, an IEI Beta- created The First Evil that is exactly like that. I enjoyed The First, and I like evil that can't be killed because really, 'evil as a whole' can't be destroyed, that is just dumb. And not very fun.
    The words I wrote aren't type related. But what I was actually saying about Lovecraft might be.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the .Hack series, and the little dvd episodes that came with the games. I've always liked these other anime series you've mentioned, but I don't have much experience watching them. Also Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite stories, and the movie wasn't bad for being a movie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried watching Utena, but I never could get into it, partially due to the genre, but also just because it seemed like so much unnecessary melodrama.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Perhaps Merchant of Venice, although I haven't read it, and only saw part of an movie version. It might be an anti-Gamma story instead.

Agreed on the H.P. Lovecraft.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Merchant of Venice, eh? I actually haven't read that but since I've been sort of in a Shakespeare mood, these days, I might skip Gentlemen of Verona and read that instead.
    Perhaps then we will know if not sooner.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    It is a shoujo psychological drama with a lot of thrown around everywhere (But I'm ILI, so I dig it!). What can I say. Supposedly it appeals more to bisexual people, too. That, considering the genre, would make sense.
    The bisexual element, I didn't mind. While there was plenty of , it was surrounded with melodrama. It's an interesting show and I do not begrudge people of liking it, but it's not my cup of tea.

But to add to the list:
    * Watchmen (graphic novel)
    * Bleach (manga/anime)
    * Babylon 5 (sci-fi series) - though two protagonists are Delta
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think Bleach is gamma now? Weird. It seems super beta to me, even though Ichigo is ESI.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    You think Bleach is gamma now? Weird. It seems super beta to me, even though Ichigo is ESI.
    Ichigo seems to be the prevailing attitude and predisposition that dominates the manga. It is probably Beta, but I a lot of Gamma seems to relate to it.
    Johari Box