Thread: Survey: cats vs dogs

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Survey: cats vs dogs

Do you prefer cats or dogs? Is it type related?

ILE Ti cats
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SEE 8w7 dogs

For Ephemeros.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like them both but wouldn't want to have either one as a pet. Too much time and responsibililty involved in caring for them. And I'm allergic to cats.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Creepy-bg

cats by far. although dogs seem to really love me.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

btw, my real preference is cats, lol. Just clear things up, because a few people have already LPPed me about my SEE dog response
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    btw, my real preference is cats, lol. Just clear things up, because a few people have already LPPed me about my SEE dog response
    wtf? lol

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a few LPPs asking me if I'd changed my type and WTFing.

I like cats. I want a kitty. I'm not an ILI.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats. I hate dogs, and dogs hate me.

I think Cats are the smartest mammalians by far, whereas dogs are more stupid than algae.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni-EIE

cats... i love cats

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I think Cats are the smartest mammalians by far, whereas dogs are more stupid than algae.
    lol totally agree

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Catzors FTW

INTj. I don't do subtypes but some people say I'm Ti. Whatever.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats are my favourite.

though I like most pets.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats>dogs
    The end is nigh

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats are likely dumb as shit. They have good kinetic intelligence, dogs probably have more complex social communications blah blah blah.

Idk cats are assholes and I find it funny. Dogs are more of a hassle and its sadder when they die.

=D
    The end is nigh

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cats. And dogs too. I probably like cats more. I like most mammals because I see them and I feel an instantaneous kinship that this creature is "like me" in some fundamental way and has similar emotions, and has intelligence, such that it's possible to connect with it emotionally, or mentally, and it seems aware of the connection. Really it's about the "I'm not alone in the universe feeling, I recognize that you have a complex processing brain too." I have less of an affinity for reptiles generally for the same reason... It's not that they're entirely alien or anything, as the base instinctual way they operate seems to be at work in the bowels of my own brain somewhere, but there is very little (if any, I'm never sure) emotional connection possible and virtually no intellectual connection (because they're living zombies). And the ones that have been around forever while barely changing at all just seem to run primitive, instinctual, biological programs, that are refined and perfected to leave their species intact forever due to their giftedness as mindless eating machines.

It's basically the feeling of looking at another living thing and it looking back at you and realizing that you each see the other, that you each recognize something in common emotionally and mentally, that you both know the other is alive, and like you, that they are also conscious.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by MaliaFee View Post
    No offense to anyone here, especially not those I have a nice forum relationship with, but saying cats are smarter than dogs or vice versa is pretty ignorant, and this is made clear by studying both animals' cognitive processes.
    It's VERY difficult to actually and conclusively figure this out given the animals' inherent differences in wiring, not necessarily in intelligence level.
    no u!

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I most certainly do not choose turtles. I say this not because turtles are not an option, but because when I had a turtle, it ran away from me. So I have decided that if a turtle did not like me, all turtles are to be shunned forever, and I will not like them either. Perhaps I shall give tortoises a try. A giant tortoise. I've heard they can live to be very old. There is something appealing about knowing that when I die, a gigantic, old, and very grumpy reptile will be dumped onto someone else and made their responsibility.

On the matter of Canines versus Felines, I am undecided but presently leaning towards Doggies.

Creepy-

Dogs.

More secifically, German Shepherds and Huskies.

Most specifically, my dog [a G. Shep/Husky mix]

EDIT: Some cats are cool, too. But you can't take them out hiking or running or out to do anything fun at all, really, so it's still dogs>cats for me

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by ollobollo View Post
    Just found this excellent article on reddit. I liked it.
    That was a great article.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Weingarten
    In our dogs, we see ourselves. Dogs exhibit almost all of our emotions; if you think a dog cannot register envy or pity or pride or melancholia, you have never lived with one for any length of time. What dogs lack is our ability to dissimulate. They wear their emotions nakedly, and so, in watching them, we see ourselves as we would be if we were stripped of posture and pretense. Their innocence is enormously appealing. When we watch a dog progress from puppy*hood to old age, we are watching our own lives in microcosm. Our dogs become old, frail, crotchety, and vulnerable, just as Grandma did, just as we surely will, come the day. When we grieve for them, we grieve for ourselves.
    Makes you think....

My dog is the only dog I've ever had. I grew up always having cats around, and I loved them too, but now I'd rather have a dog any day [or maybe one of each, like MaliaFee]. I think Weingarten is right about the innocence dogs show... they're much more open than people [myself very much included].

I take my dog to a nursing home to visit the people there [nearly all women - a lot of good that longer-than-men's lifespan does us], and it's very uplifting in some ways, a bit sad in others. The women all want to pet her and look at her, and some of them tell me stories about dogs they've had... one woman's hands are deformed from arthritis, and the first time I went, I asked if she'd like to pet my dog, and she said she wished she could, but her hands are too crippled, so she'd just look at her. Broke my heart, and each time I go I seek her out [I don't ask if she'd like to pet her since I know about her hands, but I just talk to her and let her enjoy watching my dog]. The last time I went, she asked if I would do her a favor... of course I said I would, and she asked me to move her hand to touch the dog's fur. Really, it was so sweet [and sad]. On our way out, I found her again and told her I was so glad she'd gotten to pet my dog... she smiled and said, "Oh honey, it reminds me of bein' young again to see a puppy around."

[There's no "bittersweet" emoticon]

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Dogs are for dinner.

So cats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats.

And I agree with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I'm actually terrified of dogs, even small ones. For me to enjoy the presence of a dog it needs to have a very calm and quiet temperament, and then I need a while to get used to it (but then they can be awesome, when I get used to them). Large, loud, or excitable dogs are totally out of the question.
    Except I do like calm large dogs.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Creepy-bg

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    cats > a few select dogs > reptiles > dogs generally

I'm actually terrified of dogs, even small ones. For me to enjoy the presence of a dog it needs to have a very calm and quiet temperament, and then I need a while to get used to it (but then they can be awesome, when I get used to them). Large, loud, or excitable dogs are totally out of the question.
    I used to be the same. Then I did some NLP stuff to fix that. Worked great and ever since the dogs (even the large, loud, excitable ones) have been reacting to me totally differently, as calm and loving.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaliaFee View Post
    No offense to anyone here, especially not those I have a nice forum relationship with, but saying cats are smarter than dogs or vice versa is pretty ignorant, and this is made clear by studying both animals' cognitive processes.
    It's VERY difficult to actually and conclusively figure this out given the animals' inherent differences in wiring, not necessarily in intelligence level.
    I know that neurological studies don't support it, but I don't care. I still think that cats are smart, and dogs are dumb as shit. In fact, "I think" means that it's just an opinion.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I cats. And dogs too. I probably like cats more. I like most mammals because I see them and I feel an instantaneous kinship that this creature is "like me" in some fundamental way and has similar emotions, and has intelligence, such that it's possible to connect with it emotionally, or mentally, and it seems aware of the connection. Really it's about the "I'm not alone in the universe feeling, I recognize that you have a complex processing brain too." I have less of an affinity for reptiles generally for the same reason... It's not that they're entirely alien or anything, as the base instinctual way they operate seems to be at work in the bowels of my own brain somewhere, but there is very little (if any, I'm never sure) emotional connection possible and virtually no intellectual connection (because they're living zombies). And the ones that have been around forever while barely changing at all just seem to run primitive, instinctual, biological programs, that are refined and perfected to leave their species intact forever due to their giftedness as mindless eating machines.

It's basically the feeling of looking at another living thing and it looking back at you and realizing that you each see the other, that you each recognize something in common emotionally and mentally, that you both know the other is alive, and like you, that they are also conscious.
    , Beautifully written.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh .. cats! I watched one the other day lazily torture a lizard, ripping off its appendages one by one, eyeing its slowing movements with a detached interest. When I came up to rescue it, he turned around and sat on it with a perfectly-regulated amount of pressure. So that it was kept barely alive. The little angel! Whenever I'm eating, he appears behind me noiselessly with this creepy intensity in his eyes. No look of courtesy at me first .. so as to say "I know this is your food, but can I have some?" No pretense at begging. It's survival of the fittest. He even goes so far as to claw his way up my leg if I'm standing while eating! Oh the pain! I never saw it coming the first time (who would have the audacity?), and let out a shriek, the likes of which even startled me. Now I wear jeans.

What a monstrous beast.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogs! I love dogs, but not mean vicious ones. Happy cute ones. I like watching dogs walk as they all walk so differently and it's funny. Some walk like ladies and some like guys, etc.

I hate almost all cats because they make me feel awkward. They tend to dislike me and claw or bite me. I don't do anything to them...I just look at them awkwardly and then they attack.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cats cats cats cats cats.

I have no dislike for dogs but wouldn't want to keep one, while I just love my cat. Cats are just too smart for me not to like them .
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dogs, for sure. i'm also highly allergic to cats but i just think they're sort of boring.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IEI. I prefer dogs - their more energetic personality is a lot more fun.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so far...

I don't remember the type of some users, so I skipped some answers...
    Some users claim they are a certain type, but I believe they're other so...

c=cats
    D=dogs
    b=both

ILE cccc
    SEI cc
    ESE b
    LII bDc

IEI ccD
    EIE c

LIE c
    ILI c

IEE Dc
    SLI DDcD

Nis love cats. Alphas love pets. Se types don't. They just prefer to eat'em
    ILE "Searcher"

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have both. As in, I have one pet that is both. Anyone want a kuppy? He'll grow up into a bold ferocious dat, I promise. Good stock, good stock.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh .. cats! I watched one the other day lazily torture a lizard, ripping off its appendages one by one, eyeing its slowing movements with a detached interest. When I came up to rescue it, he turned around and sat on it with a perfectly-regulated amount of pressure. So that it was kept barely alive. The little angel! Whenever I'm eating, he appears behind me noiselessly with this creepy intensity in his eyes. No look of courtesy at me first .. so as to say "I know this is your food, but can I have some?" No pretense at begging. It's survival of the fittest. He even goes so far as to claw his way up my leg if I'm standing while eating! Oh the pain! I never saw it coming the first time (who would have the audacity?), and let out a shriek, the likes of which even startled me. Now I wear jeans.

What a monstrous beast.
    Very much true. Cats in nature practice torture as part of their daily routine.

Are dogs any better, though?

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    so far...

I don't remember the type of some users, so I skipped some answers...
    Some users claim they are a certain type, but I believe they're other so...

c=cats
    D=dogs
    b=both

ILE cccc
    SEI cc
    ESE b
    LII bDDc

IEI ccDD
    EIE c

LIE c
    ILI c

IEE Dc
    SLI DDcD

Nis love cats. Alphas love pets. Se types don't. They just prefer to eat'em
    updated
    ILE "Searcher"

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up with my cat (a black and white "Snowball").
    I've had various cats as pets over my life. They tended to come and go. Probably because other than Snowball, they were strays I had picked up. I am, however, very allergic to cats. And I don't feel as if I really understand them. I often feel used by them, while getting very little in return. The majority of them seem lazy to me. Though I do find myself attracted to the playful ones.

At the age of 17 I picked up a stray small dog and had her for years.
    Then I got a 47 lb lab. Grendel was my buddy. We went through a lot together. He stayed by my side when we were homeless, from move to move to move, from relationship to relationship to relationship. He was my one constant. And I do believe that had he not been in my life at the time he was, I'd probably be dead years ago. When I found out I was pregnant, I had to get rid of the small dog because she was dangerous to small animals and kids (great with cats and old people, attacked or snapped at everything else). I kept Grendel, who treated my daughter as if she was a sick pup. Uncle Grendel. (Of course, she seemed "sick" far longer than any real pup and he soon lost interest in her.) He was my best friend, and it was pretty obvious to all that he was MY dog and I was HIS person. When I was sad he'd come to me and comfort me. When I was happy, his tail and lolling tongue expressed my emotion better than I ever could. He gave me lots of laughs and lots of smiles. And when I put him to sleep at the ripe old age of 16yo, I had it done at home and I laid down beside him with my arms around him, like we used to lay together, while the vet put him to sleep. I still miss him deeply.

We've since gotten another dog, a small dog, a yapper. She was meant for me, but she and I never bonded. She does see me as the dominant female of our pack, but there's no love, no companionship there. Sometimes I have to go out of my way to pet her and give her attention so she doesn't feel like an outcast, but it's definitely Richard she prefers. And I have no problem with that.

Our neighbor got a dog that we watched for a few weeks while it was a young pup. It's grown into a 50lb dog. I prefer it's attitude over the small dog's attitude. Something about the loyalty and companionship and trust speaks to me. Everytime I see him now, I wish I had that kind of pet again.

With all that said, I HAVE bonded with the kitten Richard found at his work two years ago. Well, as best as I can with a cat, lol. I can't say it's mutual as she pretty much uses EVERYone in the household to get what she wants. From me she gets something close to a mother cat's attention. From another cat she gets the baths and playmate attention. From the small dog she gets a playmate. (From both of them she gets to practice pouncing and boxing.) From Richard she gets treats. We each give her something, and so she uses each of us for different things. And yes, we humans definitely know we are being used. Yet we still do it (she's so spoiled!!).

Richard, ISFp, prefers cats over dogs, and has two cats of his own, is the preferred human of the small dog's, and is the preferred treater of the kitten.

Manta, ESFp, has a cat, but she doesn't take care of him nor spend time with him. Her and the dog also don't interact with each other. So I can't tell what, if any animal, she might prefer.

Me, ENFp, prefers some dog breeds over others. Labs, boxers, and such...the not so smart ones but are still devoted to their owners, I definitely prefer those. I don't get along so well with the too intelligent dogs (collies, husky's, etc) because they just require way too much work/effort from me to keep up with them (I think they'd make better Ni or Ti dogs). Yappers and small dogs I usually want to kick, though I do have an attraction to terriers. Their small (a usual negative), they're intelligent (a usual negative), their snappy (a usual negative), yet something about them calls to me. I just wouldn't trust one with a child. The dog we do have is a papillion. I do like her playful nature!! I just kinda wish she wasn't so darned wiggly and jumpyjumpy all the time. Can't cuddle with her!!

I'm very allergic to cats (and we have four in the house). So I don't know if my lack of preference for them over dogs is due to something natural, or allergies. Though I would probably say that I prefer the lab/boxer/etc type over cats, but cats over yappers and too intelligent dogs. Cuddling, devotion, and mirroring my internal states over anything else.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am an LSE cat person.
    My big younger brother is an SEI cat person.
    My little younger brother is an SLE dog person.
    My ENFp dad is a dog person.
    My ISTp mom is a fish person.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im gonna have to go with doggies! cats just seem lazy to me.. a dog you can play with and they are always so happy to see you.. a cats just like humm scratch me pet me yayaya.. so yea for me dogs, feed then pet them, walk them, love them, plus they always love me! idk if that made any sense ohh well

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Very much true. Cats in nature practice torture as part of their daily routine.

Are dogs any better, though?
    Dogs seem more affectionate to me .. Idk. And if dogs play with an animal, it seems they're at least getting some fun out of it. They're not so uptight and serious I think. (:

And they wouldn't eat you if you died. So there's that.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast