Thread: How do functions identify?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do functions identify?

I wasn't sure if this was a J function thing or if all functions make similar identifications, but if this is true then could you explain them to me?

For instance, when sees a face of someone, the identification based on that might be, this person looks like this person, or X function says this person is an "old lady". A good example is, my friend didn't get a joke about a celebrity thats been going on for the past 10 years, because he assumed the joke was just about an "old man," and that everyone laughed because it was about simply an "old man." Would there be the actual function responsible that identifies the "face" as the actual name of that person. *Looks at face* "That's Britney Spears, oh goodie." Or a function that best identifies that "old man" as a joke first rather than the actual person, say looking at George Bush and having a certain idea come to mind way before other aspects of himself, life history or events you've watched on TV, or that he looks like a monkey, etc. It's hard to tell if this is distributed by function, but if it is, then what functions have tendency to do what?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total guess, but if anything, I would say it would lie along the Fi vs Fe valuing devide. With Fe types being the ones that would joke about the "old man ness" of the man rather than about the specific "old man", as Fe is dynamic, looks more at how the person is behaving "right now".
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't really answer what you were asking just then I realized, but perhaps it is relevant anyways.
    IEE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody does what you described, but in terms of information elements, some associations can be made:

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    For instance, when sees a face of someone, the identification based on that might be, this person looks like this person, or X function says this person is an "old lady". A good example is, my friend didn't get a joke about a celebrity thats been going on for the past 10 years, because he assumed the joke was just about an "old man," and that everyone laughed because it was about simply an "old man." Would there be the actual function responsible that identifies the "face" as the actual name of that person. *Looks at face* "That's Britney Spears, oh goodie."
    As far as that goes, it's simply about associating the image of the photo with a specific (famous) person. If everyone could reach that conclusion, as in, "I can see her face and I know it's of a celebrity called Britney Spears", and that concept is easily transmitted to everybody, then I guess you could call it and .

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Or a function that best identifies that "old man" as a joke first rather than the actual person, say looking at George Bush and having a certain idea come to mind way before other aspects of himself, life history or events you've watched on TV, or that he looks like a monkey, etc. It's hard to tell if this is distributed by function, but if it is, then what functions have tendency to do what?
    Looking at George Bush and immediatly thinking he looks like a monkey, that could be described as ; if it gets you thinking into a whole lot of things from that starting point, it's more related to .

But these are so elementary manifestations of those information elements that they're useless for anything related to type.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!