Thread: The way I perceive things (serious thread, I promise)

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The way I perceive things (serious thread, I promise)

I'll try to order and explain some of my ideas (YES WE CAN). To me, life is about taking decisions. There are many decisions to take (some of them are related with the present, and some of them can alter the future). Sometimes you take them unconsciously. Some of them are very important, some of them are not.

On the other hand, there are "decisive events" , which you don't control, that can change your life: when they happen...luck matters (we could call it "fate"). Thus, I see life's structure resembles decision trees, like the one on the following pic. As a result, there is a set of infinite scenarios that may take place or may have taken place (Do you remember the movie "Back to the future"?).

How much does your life depend on your decisions and how much on fate?

In a sense, both of them have a 100% weight!

Some of you may remember these Max Payne (fictional character, prolly ego) quotes, which somehow clash with my "world view":

"There are no choices. Nothing but a straight line. The illusion comes afterwards, when you ask 'Why me?' and 'What if?'. When you look back and see the branches, like a pruned bonsai tree, or forked lightning. If you had done something differently, it wouldn't be you. It would be someone else looking back, asking a different set of questions. "

"The trick in my situation was that there was no trick, no matter what the movies tell you. No rules, no secret Mantra, no road map. It wasn't about how smart or how good you were. It was chaos and luck, and anyone who thought different was a fool. All you could do was hang on madly, as long and hard as you could."

From a Socionics point of view, I think mine is nothing but a base mentality. I'd be pleased to read your feedback.

mmm
    Last edited by 1981slater; 05-16-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you conistently apply cause and effect, then Max Payne begins to make alot of sense lol

But then again, I imagine the possibilities and my decisions like your decision tree, so I might be self contradictory

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe i see it backwards, flip it the other way and proceed forward in a straight line. each time you "move" you close off entire realms of "possibility," while opening others, which is why you have to be careful where and when you move, or something.

heh you asked for commentary. So here's what I thought about this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Sometimes you take them unconsciously. Some of them are very important, some of them are not.
    I make all my decisions conciously, but they might be based on subconcious information.

On the other hand, there are "decisive events" , which you don't control, that can change your life: when they happen...luck matters (we could call it "fate"). Thus, I see life's structure resembles decision trees, like the one on the following pic. As a result, there is a set of infinite scenarios that may take place or may have taken place
    Yes.

(Do you remember the movie "Back to the future"?).
    I do

How much does your life depend on your decisions and how much on fate?
    More on fate or luck than decisions. You can only make decisions within the path of circumstances you have entered and the capabilities and information you possess.

Some of you may remember these Max Payne (fictional character, prolly ego) quotes, which somehow clash with my "world view":
    Max Payne might not be (actually I haven't played the game). But some of the people who have made Max Payne probably are Ni-ego.

"The trick in my situation was that there was no trick, no matter what the movies tell you. No rules, no secret Mantra, no road map. It wasn't about how smart or how good you were. It was chaos and luck, and anyone who thought different was a fool. All you could do was hang on madly, as long and hard as you could."
    In unlucky situation that's how life can be. But in a more lucky situation, you have more control.

From a Socionics point of view, I think mine is nothing but a base mentality. I'd be pleased to read your feedback.
    You seem more Ne than anything else.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The use of logic brings with itself basic assumptions that, if taken to their logical conclusions, result in strict determinism. However, I wonder if this is not simply logic moving outside its proper domain - I'm aware that can go where it doesn't belong, and applying to crush all other elements is probably equally erroneous.

Interestingly, the theory of quantum mechanics has actually inspired hope in some people that strict determinism might be wrong, so strict determinism might be the devastating union of and - logic which is both absolute and real. Taken alone, is not close enough to reality to destroy free will (it is an expression of other knowledge, or something imposed where something else might do just as well), whereas is too uncertain to destroy free will (as shown in quantum indeterminism).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are two things that can effect the route you take in your tree: 1: changes in circumstances.. which are beyond your control. 2: your will to take the most favorable route. So I really dont see how max is wrong.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, if this is any Ne/Ni litmus test, I am definitely Ni.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Heh, if this is any Ne/Ni litmus test, I am definitely Ni.
    It's not a test, I was just sharing some random ideas in order to get feedback
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No such thing as fate.
    I believe everything I'll ever have in my life will be made with my own hands and head.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah, but what made your hands and head? And what made those makers?

If you will agree that every effect has a cause and you apply that to the human brain and hence the human mind, then everything is predetermined.
    The end is nigh

TIM
    nil
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Life is like tunnel. Things came to our way, we avoid them or crushed them. We can look outside, probably finding possibilities, but finding nothing at all. Sometimes is dark, and we can not longer see where we are walking, and sometimes is too bright to actually see it.
    The graphic is bad-developed and simplistic IMO. Decision could follows a straight line. Even when we choose to change that line, we'll get back to that line again.