Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Si in the Context of Hygiene, Culinary Skill, Comfort, & Other Basic Human Things

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah! That part with Steve describing the bridge is so me!

I always got disappointed when things like that happened. I wanted to have that experience of moving through places like mossy caves, dry pine forests, and stone ruins. Just moving around in it and exploring makes me happy.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes Si egos can be "controlling"

This is especially true of Male Si EJ's.

If you're regulating your enviroment... and your environment includes people...

then you're fucking going to end up controlling people.

Not that I mind too much though, depending on who the person is. Like I'm naturally competitive with other males, so if some guy is having an Si spell I might get slightly upset if I feel they're controlling me. Then again I do not know many Male Alpha SF's so my experience with them might be very different.
    The end is nigh

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    Si-p are actually as possessive as Se-p.
    I think I get what you're hinting at, but I don't really agree with this statement. Not sure how fond I am of words like "possessive" being thrown around to describe Se egos because of possible negative connotations, but in any sense that they do possess or even dominate environments/ppl, due to their charismatic energy, very little effort or exerting of oneself upon others is required as people seem to be naturally drawn to Se-ps. Therefore, it rarely feels or looks like overt control or possessiveness.

I can't think of any signifigant similarities between Si-ips and Se-ips re: how they interact socially. Si-EJs are another story <3.
    Last edited by duality is cringe; 05-12-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read any of the convo here; based on the op, though:

I would say that Si does make me feel the need for hygene. I'm pretty lazy, and some things I just don't care about being tidy or otherwise, but I do require cleanliness. (like I need to shower, brush, etc. every day)

I think it's more of a control to my environment thing to me, though. Like clean is optimal and orderly is wonderful. CONTROOOLLL! lol

Sorry if that's utterly off-topic.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    Yes Si egos can be "controlling"

This is especially true of Male Si EJ's.

If you're regulating your enviroment... and your environment includes people...

then you're fucking going to end up controlling people.

Not that I mind too much though, depending on who the person is. Like I'm naturally competitive with other males, so if some guy is having an Si spell I might get slightly upset if I feel they're controlling me. Then again I do not know many Male Alpha SF's so my experience with them might be very different.
    Yeah, this is fairly true. Though I will point out this. My father is an Si-ESTj and he tends to micromanage a lot. For him, he doesn't think he's controlling people, instead he kind of feels like he's controlling the process and people just sort of participate in the process. For instance, he's the head of a project here at work to revamp the management system. Part of this management system basically ends up managing the managers. But if you talk to my dad about it he's very insistent that he's not controlling management. He's just developing a process that works and requires people to participate in it in order for it to function. When I tell him that his harmonized plan is essentially managing management (which needs to be done to get people on the same page) he gets a little grumpy. He doesn't want to think he's controlling people, he is literally just controlling an environmental process in his head.

I think this is the essential difference between, say, and ISTj and an ESTj when it comes to controlling people. I find that ISTjs want to control people and individuals. They want this thing, this cog to do exactly what they feel it should do. A more object-oriented (Se) notion of controlling space. An ESTj, on the other hand, wants to control an entire process and form a big-picture sense of control. Though this inevitably means controlling the pieces, they aren't really concerned with the pieces as much as they are with creating an encompassing notion or desired effect. In that way they create a field-oriented (Si) notion of controlling space.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mn0good View Post
    Yeah, this is fairly true. Though I will point out this. My father is an Si-ESTj and he tends to micromanage a lot. For him, he doesn't think he's controlling people, instead he kind of feels like he's controlling the process and people just sort of participate in the process. For instance, he's the head of a project here at work to revamp the management system. Part of this management system basically ends up managing the managers. But if you talk to my dad about it he's very insistent that he's not controlling management. He's just developing a process that works and requires people to participate in it in order for it to function. When I tell him that his harmonized plan is essentially managing management (which needs to be done to get people on the same page) he gets a little grumpy. He doesn't want to think he's controlling people, he is literally just controlling an environmental process in his head.

I think this is the essential difference between, say, and ISTj and an ESTj when it comes to controlling people. I find that ISTjs want to control people and individuals. They want this thing, this cog to do exactly what they feel it should do. A more object-oriented (Se) notion of controlling space. An ESTj, on the other hand, wants to control an entire process and form a big-picture sense of control. Though this inevitably means controlling the pieces, they aren't really concerned with the pieces as much as they are with creating an encompassing notion or desired effect. In that way they create a field-oriented (Si) notion of controlling space.
    Okay, so yeah thats Tom fwiw.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, def.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I consider my own hygiene it's pretty much went across the board just like other things. When viewed over the vast expanse of years and years and years, it can't be pinned down to any pattern. Well, that's not entirely true, but I don't feel like writing an essay about it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    I think that likes for the following reasons:

thinking mostly about needs, while this obviously has a lot of benefits, can simply get boring, and types may end up getting stuck in routines or just become complacent -- they are not getting the maximum satisfaction in life because they don't spend quite enough time thinking about novel things (novelty is important for homo sapiens, as it turns out).

types spend a lot of time thinking about novel kinds of things, and they want to do novel things. can appreciate this because, under 's influence, they can get a kind of satisfaction from life they might not have expected, and the increasingly diverse satisfaction they experience will contribute to a better overall wellbeing.

On the other side, the types spend a lot of time thinking about novelty but tend not to be as satisfied as they might be because they find themselves plagued by needs they might only be vaguely aware of, or that they might not fully understand (for a very simplistic example, they might not realize that they get grumpy when they're hungry). Under the influence of , they can basically stop being a prisoner of their unmet needs and get more out of life themselves.

This is pure socionics gold.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSV3 View Post
    This is pure socionics gold.
    this also makes me a type.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeAnte View Post
    I'm aware you were using metaphors (lol), but the basic theme and very way in which you described it are both extremely Si.
    Don't be so self-centred. I am not in the least concerned about what you, yourself, are aware of or not.

What I am more concerned about is you possibly misleading others about that description, by (1) copying it but at the same time misusing it for your own goals and (2) doing so without even providing a link to the original description, so that others may reach their own conclusions.

If you lack the imagination to write your own description of Si or whatever, and if you think that that Ni description, as "edited" by yourself, describes Si, the very least you could do, as matter of common courtesy and even intellectual honesty, would be to include a link, as in "you can find Expat's original version here:"
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/136931-post17.html )

It would have been perfectly okay to quote that description (or anything else) I wrote, as I wrote it, and then say "look Expat really thinks that this describes Ni when it describes Si lol". Then others could see what it's about. But what you did is a sort of plagiarism, besides prone to mislead others, if you associate my name with "your" version. It's just -- crass.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Is SLI a bad type for you?
    not at all, but that's also not his typing of me. (;
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post

What I am more concerned about is you possibly misleading others about that description, by (1) copying it but at the same time misusing it for your own goals and (2) doing so without even providing a link to the original description, so that others may reach their own conclusions.
    I had no problem at all providing a link to the original post. Doing so simply didn't occur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    It would have been perfectly okay to quote that description (or anything else) I wrote, as I wrote it, and then say "look Expat really thinks that this describes Ni when it describes Si lol". Then others could see what it's about. But what you did is a sort of plagiarism, besides prone to mislead others, if you associate my name with "your" version. It's just -- crass.
    Plagiarism would be passing your work off as my own. I made no secret of my intention to minimally alter your words nor was I attempting to use it as my own description.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A thought just crossed my mind, I realized that the last time someone washed my back was sirca 2014. I've never learned how to do it on my own properly, I just do my best. So I wanted to know how people normally wash their back and I found this very instructive video...

To me an exfoliator has always looked like this...

And, If I remember correctly, the last time somebody washed my back properly was in a place like this...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

We need data on levels of toast-burning per type.

TIM
    SEE-Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enters Laughing View Post
    We need data on levels of toast-burning per type.
    Man, my toaster oven sometimes doesn't count down. Eventually I'll be greeted with smoke, fire alarm, and my reheated pizza turned into charcoal...adrenaline, disappointment, hunger -> cue sad clown

It took me like 3 burned foods before I realized I need to make sure it's ticking down. I must be Te-polr of course lmao.
    The sound of the bells are unusually loud today...

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pzombieLIT View Post
    Man, my toaster oven sometimes doesn't count down. Eventually I'll be greeted with smoke, fire alarm, and my reheated pizza turned into charcoal...adrenaline, disappointment, hunger -> cue sad clown

It took me like 3 burned foods before I realized I need to make sure it's ticking down. I must be Te-polr of course lmao.
    I think it's probably mostly correlated with the IXXP temperament and Big Five neuroticism.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am more involved in the cleaning and order of my environment than my own body. I wear the same clothes for a very long time (usually something comfortable and flexible like jogging pants ). I usually have special "sleep T-shirts" (always 100%cotton) but since I live alone I wear them most of the time, I only change T-shirts when I go out and when I'm back home I rewear the "sleep T-shirt" until I feel like I have to change it and wash it... I have a serious shoulder injury since a while now so I have limited range of movements right now. That said, overall I'm clean in my body so my hygiene is okay , after all I am a man of Faith (at least In reputation !) and cleanliness is half of Faith. Also I'm easily disgusted by anything pertaining to body fluids, smells etc... Except for sexual stuff...

Indeed, I mean I like the female sex organ (yes shocking, reader discretion is advised !!) it's quite something that stuff ! But that was in another life. Now, I'm demi-sexual , that means I can't have sex with a lady (above 30 and below 57 for now !) who doesn't explicitly say or take actions meaning that she wants to have sex with me. And oh, I also have to find something sexy about her (but I always do !) and knowing her name helps too. Ideally the time of a cup of coffee before sex in enough for me to meet the criteria of demi-sexuality. So by that time, I'm enough in love with a charming lady to be ready to hear her tell me explicitly that she wants to have sex with me and/or just boldly take the first step which would be explicit enough and implies consent (yes, I'm a gentleman in a post "me too" era and one is never too careful !). But I digress.

I have a washing machine. I bought it about three year ago. Four or five months ago, I finished the 1.85 L bottle of washing detergent that I had bought at the same time as the machine. That was the last time I used the washing machine... That said, I have a stock of clean clothes (a lot of which are still in the moving boxes from february 2019 !) and the dirty laundry basket is starting to overflow a bit. I guess I'll have to do the laundry very soon, and summer is coming....

Other than that my apartment is very clean. I have my own notion of order. I don't have a sofa, so I spend most of my time on the mattress that serves as my bed on the floor. In fact, I have my bed (the one from my old room when I lived with my parents) just behind me (with its own mattress, also very comfortable!) which serves as a sofa and against which I wedge my mattress on the floor. This means that I'm in a position in which I can lie down right in front of the TV. My laptop is on my left, my guitar on my right, always within easy reach, and all the rest of my music gear is in the next room. I haven't slept in a bed since the first covid lockdown (I went to spend a few days with my parents because I was in PTSD and couldn't use my laptop yada yada it it's too long to explain why !). In my house, I've slept in my bed only once sirca 2019, In fact I had dozed off, it wasn't even intentional.

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love when people unearth threads from 2009. Who are these ancient posters and where are they now?

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I love when people unearth threads from 2009. Who are these ancient posters and where are they now?

This guy might know the answer..

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I am an ancient poster (but not in this thread). I came here for the first time around 2009/2010. ( I dont remember exactly)
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very difficult to assess what is Si from my point of view. It's easy to look at nerds and think "well these are Ni base and they lack basic hygiene so they have weak Si" but I think many aspects of how Si is defined isn't exactly complex information that you can't aquire with a bit of disciple and practice. Maybe it's just a part of Si I dunno. When I see bodybuilders taking steroids lifting dangerous amounts of weight, that always struck me as weak Si, because you don't pay attention to limits of your body. Having weird sexual fetishes and being demonstratively naked, abusing large amounts of substances and ignoring sleep and just straining yourself to achieve some subjective goal, disregarding your health. That always seemed like weak Si to me. It likely has different subsections just like I mentioned about Ni
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    I have been thinking about what Alive was saying about everyone on here being IEI, and I conclude that he is right, or at least he is on to something.

If Jung based his theories on the people he met in his life, even if he met more people than the average person, that means that he based his theories on a certain type of person. The type of person who might go to him for therapy or talks, or who might believe the esoteric ideas he was spouting at the time. Thus it's possible that he did not categorize all humans into types, but just made subtypes for a specific type of person. This overarching type of person is the same type that is heavily interested in theories of this kind, and whom Alive says is an IEI.

Therefore, Alive is right. We are all IEIs with subtypes. With that, I'm off this forum
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ung-s-subjects

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    A thought just crossed my mind, I realized that the last time someone washed my back was sirca 2014. I've never learned how to do it on my own properly, I just do my best. So I wanted to know how people normally wash their back and I found this very instructive video...
    So you made me think about my nails.

I have mainly used two tools for this:
    Exhibit #1

I mean,it may seem tiny if I tell you that I considered a chainsaw
    Exhibit #2
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Reality Denialist View Post
    So you made me think about my nails.

I have mainly used two tools for this:
    Exhibit #1

I mean,it may seem tiny if I tell you that I considered a chainsaw
    Exhibit #2
    I have always had the habit of nail biting (onychophagia). In fact, as far as I can remember, there hasn't been a month when I haven't bitten at least one nail until it bled. Despite the fact that I try to be careful, I still hurt myself. I might add that I also bite my toenails ! I'm a bit of a contortionist.
    Last edited by godslave; 05-21-2024 at 04:09 PM.
    Lack is the Muse of all Poets

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://jumpshare.com/s/OvEOJXslepifa4nTB49Y

^ it's a video. You would think such a person is Si when you look at the theory but I think it's more autistic Ni perfectionism. It's hard to describe introverted elements I guess. I internally just feel how my body is doing and if I'm healthy or not and what I should do to improve. Hard to explain. I don't think Jung described the function correctly but oh well
    I have been thinking about what Alive was saying about everyone on here being IEI, and I conclude that he is right, or at least he is on to something.

If Jung based his theories on the people he met in his life, even if he met more people than the average person, that means that he based his theories on a certain type of person. The type of person who might go to him for therapy or talks, or who might believe the esoteric ideas he was spouting at the time. Thus it's possible that he did not categorize all humans into types, but just made subtypes for a specific type of person. This overarching type of person is the same type that is heavily interested in theories of this kind, and whom Alive says is an IEI.

Therefore, Alive is right. We are all IEIs with subtypes. With that, I'm off this forum

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikite iru View Post
    https://jumpshare.com/s/OvEOJXslepifa4nTB49Y

^ it's a video. You would think such a person is Si when you look at the theory but I think it's more autistic Ni perfectionism. It's hard to describe introverted elements I guess. I internally just feel how my body is doing and if I'm healthy or not and what I should do to improve. Hard to explain. I don't think Jung described the function correctly but oh well
    I thought it was Christian Bale but his physical shape didn't correspond to that of the actual Bale , that dude is obviously younger and the video seemed pretty recent so It was weird. That said, I don't know what IE it was about, all I saw was a dude doing stuff in a pretty ordered and an OCD like perfectionism in the execution of certain actions. He didn't share any information, that was only behavior. But oh dear...

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by godslave View Post
    I thought it was Christian Bale but his physical shape didn't correspond to that of the actual Bale , that dude is obviously younger and the video seemed pretty recent so It was weird. That said, I don't know what IE it was about, all I saw was a dude doing stuff in a pretty ordered and an OCD like perfectionism in the execution of certain actions. He didn't share any information, that was only behavior. But oh dear...
    He definitely was inspired by American Psycho

https://youtu.be/RjKNbfA64EE?si=PqUz1bV51_noN2HK

It's like he basis his existence on media inspiration. For me, it's always basically I wake up and brush my teeth and I don't really do much else honestly. It's like Ni presents an idealized, perfected image of something which might result in body dysmorphia for some

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ikite iru View Post
    He definitely was inspired by American Psycho

https://youtu.be/RjKNbfA64EE?si=PqUz1bV51_noN2HK

It's like he basis his existence on media inspiration. For me, it's always basically I wake up and brush my teeth and I don't really do much else honestly. It's like Ni presents an idealized, perfected image of something which might result in body dysmorphia for some
    Believe it or not, I haven't watched that movie ! (Actually I might watching it today thanks for the suggestion !).

I'm often in "zoning out " mode. When I wake up I could blindfoldedly do all the things I ritualistically do almost in an OCD-ish way. It's like the same exact sequence each time I wake-up. Everything I do is time tagged. Heck when I wake-up, even the clock seems calibrated in function and relative to my sleep cycles (which are variable and change often) and time of sleep (which is constant even if I take sleeping pills (actually 1/2 of a zopiclone 7.5 mg pill) since about four months). So depending on the cycle I'm in, when I wake up the the clock time is always the same (to the minute, and without alarm !) until I enter a new "time zone" for whatever reason.

It's like living in a submarine all the time, I keep my windows blinds closed almost all the time except when I want to clean the balcony or just take some fresh air (I do that mostly at night time or at dawn). It often happen that I find myself with my guitar in hands playing stuff without even remembering grabbing the guitar in the first place. It's a bit like when you're driving from the workplace to home and you don't remember how you got there, as if the car was drove itself like KITT from Knight Rider.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12