Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanity and type

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in high school, I would actually wear things that I knew looked unattractive on me. It took a little while to realize that this took its own form of effort, and now I focus on comfort and low-profile. I am lucky enough to be an average sort of size that I can get ALL my outerwear from Goodwill and other thrift stores, and I actually find enough choices that I can put back items that either look too bad or too good. I don't mind something looking well-suited to me, but I don't want my clothing to call attention to me. I also only allow myself to own a limited collection at any given time; if I buy a new shirt, I make myself get rid of an old one, etc.

I *can't* wear makeup, or jewelry or perfume or most synthetic fabrics. I can actually feel that stuff on me, and it drives me up a wall. I can barely even stand to be in the same room as someone else wearing perfume/cologne. Even strong-smelling shampoos often wrinkle my nose.

So, I'd say my physical hypersensitivity plus my unwillingness to call attention to myself are the two biggest factors shaping the way I present myself to others. I do have a wee bit of a style in my office attire: (muted color) Hawaiian shirts and khakis. Thank the flying spaghetti monster for casual business dress.

My LSE SO likes dressing understatedly dressy. He'll wear a nice button-down shirt to go drinking with the guys, but it doesn't come off as pretentious or attention-seeking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    Intelligence doesn't score hot guys. I go for being perceived as attractive.
    True. Good-looking males are normally dumb as fuck, and see merit only in a hot female with her legs spread (or on her hands and knees).

I go for being perceived as moderately intelligent and attractive! This is because I am, and also probably because I am British, and we Brits love moderation.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    True. Good-looking males are normally dumb as fuck, and see merit only in a hot female with her legs spread (or on her hands and knees).

I go for being perceived as moderately intelligent and attractive! This is because I am, and also probably because I am British, and we Brits love moderation.
    Ezra, you might be amused by the way many Americans automatically assume people w British accents are intelligent.

I work in a part of a university where tutors help students with their writing, and a new tutor was just hired, who's British. It amused me very much when a student walked in and asked for help. Several tutors were working and the student was talking w one who was getting ready to help him, then he heard the British guy say something and tentatively said, "I'd like to work with him, please." The tutor who had been getting ready to help him seemed a little put off, but he let the British guy help the student. I imagine this will happen a lot, as it did when we had a guy from New Zealand working there [whose accent many people seemed to mistake for British].

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Ezra, you might be amused by the way many Americans seem to automatically assume people w British accents are intelligent.
    That's because we are.

JOKEZ! AHHHHH, you thought I was serious! Didn't you! Didn't you!

I work in a part of a university where tutors help students with their writing, and a new tutor was just hired, who's British. It amused me very much when a student walked in and asked for help. Several tutors were working and the student was talking w one who was getting ready to help him, then he heard the British guy say something and tentatively said, "I'd like to work with him, please." The tutor who had been getting ready to help him seemed a little put off, but he let the British guy help the student. I imagine this will happen a lot, as it did when we had a guy from New Zealand working there [whose accent many people seemed to mistake for British].
    Haha, that's pretty funny.

Creepy-

That's because we are.

JOKEZ! AHHHHH, you thought I was serious! Didn't you! Didn't you!
    I might have, if you had put enough space so I actually had to scroll down to see the rest of the post.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    I might have, if you had put enough space so I actually had to scroll down to see the rest of the post.

lol, my mistake!

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to automatically think they're smarter than they probobly are. And i've always wondered why everything they say seem to sound as if they're asking a question. They just sound so proper. May I have some tea and crumpets, good sir?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've always wondered why everything they say seem to sound as if they're asking a question.
    That one always gets me, especially when someone asks "Are you all right?" (as in, 'How are you?') My immediate reaction is: ?? *utter confusion* Why? Do I look like there's something wrong?? Is there a scary look on my face?

And then I realize that's not how they meant it at all.
    IEE

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A user called zenbrat who used to post here hypothesised that while SLEs keep their appearance tidier than their living spaces, LSIs keep their living spaces tidier than their appearance. Personally, I think that's bullshit, but it's something to consider.

I'm probably one of the least stylish dressers I know - I don't even wear band t-shirts. I literally have plain t-shirts (sometimes with funny phrases or logos on them), jeans jeans jeans, and a few sweaters. I love quality, but I love comfortable quality. Labels only have an impact on my buying if I know that a label is a good label (e.g. Levi jeans). On the other hand, I steer very clear of, for example, FCUK, because the quality is appalling; the clothes fall apart in months. I'm not self-conscious, but I am conscious; I know what exactly what you mean by "simple but statement" - I aim to show that I know I'm dressing conservatively (for a teenager, at least), and that I have absolutely no problem with it.
    Yay! THIS is exactly how ALL guys should feel about 'style' and dressing, imo.

Which in fact, is quite a double standard b/c I care about my clothing and such... but not too any real extent. I especially abhor those name brand clothes that people love to go for and buy when in reality they look like absolute shit and are worth more than my whole closet... Ugh.

I just really adore males that wear simple, plain things and yet still look really put together and HOT with them on. None of that primping BS, just makes a guy too metrosexual (imo!!!) and that is highly unattractive. I like clean & normal please.

Some girls like scruffy guys with the band t-shirts that look like they don't try too hard. Newsflash : THEY TRY HARDER THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE TO LOOK LIKE THEY'RE NOT TRYING HARD. It's that really detestable 'indie' quality of dressing which I really, really want to vomit on.

Err, back to the main topic of this thread. Vanity related to type? I didn't even read the first post, my bad. Oh well, it's not related -- I think it's much moreso related to the Enneagram than anything else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think everyone has VANITY of some sort, re: something (doesn't have to be appearance!) The focus just differs, the ego is still there.

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I tend to automatically think they're smarter than they probobly are. And i've always wondered why everything they say seem to sound as if they're asking a question.
    Yeah, it's a habit stupid uni girls who watch too much Neighbours. It's an Australian thing. They're like not really sure? When they should actually ask a question? It's like they never learned the English language properly? And they just decided to ask someone if they're going into town tonight? "Are you going to town tonight." It's like an inversion?

I think it's going out of fashion, though. I haven't heard it recently. Maybe it's just because I surround myself with intelligent people who can actually speak.

They just sound so proper. May I have some tea and crumpets, good sir?
    All Americans are illiterate rednecks who sleep with their daughters. *Growl* Hey, Kelly-Jo. Get your pretty little ass over here for some rough lovin'. Herherherherher.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, ScarlettLux! I agree.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that.

Another couple of fads that are pissing me off.

1. Indie kids walking around in chequered shirts. They're ugly, fashionable, and just plain shite. Dunno if they do it in the US or Canada or in Australia or NZ.

2. Fucking cardigans with a massive V-neck, so you can see most of their t-shirt. Black V-necks, by all means, but these cardigans which if women wore, their cleavage would be mammoth. Anyway, they look gay.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra
    All Americans are illiterate rednecks who sleep with their daughters. *Growl* Hey, Kelly-Jo. Get your pretty little ass over here for some rough lovin'. Herherherherher.
    lmao
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarlettLux View Post
    Yay! THIS is exactly how ALL guys should feel about 'style' and dressing, imo.

Which in fact, is quite a double standard b/c I care about my clothing and such... but not too any real extent. I especially abhor those name brand clothes that people love to go for and buy when in reality they look like absolute shit and are worth more than my whole closet... Ugh.

I just really adore males that wear simple, plain things and yet still look really put together and HOT with them on. None of that primping BS, just makes a guy too metrosexual (imo!!!) and that is highly unattractive. I like clean & normal please.

Some girls like scruffy guys with the band t-shirts that look like they don't try too hard. Newsflash : THEY TRY HARDER THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE TO LOOK LIKE THEY'RE NOT TRYING HARD. It's that really detestable 'indie' quality of dressing which I really, really want to vomit on.

Err, back to the main topic of this thread. Vanity related to type? I didn't even read the first post, my bad. Oh well, it's not related -- I think it's much moreso related to the Enneagram than anything else. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think everyone has VANITY of some sort, re: something (doesn't have to be appearance!) The focus just differs, the ego is still there.

I totally agree what you two have to say on these matters, Enneagram plays a Big role, as well as Socionics type too but not as nearly as enneagram in terms of influencing the way we dress. Beta in general that i know of in real life perfer classy, don't overly dress and yet be simply and free, more natural.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's a habit stupid uni girls who watch too much Neighbours. It's an Australian thing. They're like not really sure? When they should actually ask a question? It's like they never learned the English language properly? And they just decided to ask someone if they're going into town tonight? "Are you going to town tonight." It's like an inversion?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, it's hkkmr! Long time no see.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I enjoying dressing exactly the same day to day, and I don't really change between work/going out unless it's some sort of sport.

It's also really easy to shop, I just buy 10 of the same thing when I go to the store and I'm done for 6 monthish.
    That's what I'd dub extreme non-consciousness about the way one dresses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12