Thread: SLIs-ISTps being workaholics

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SLIs-ISTps being workaholics

Hey guys,

So has anyone noticed ISTp's can be workaholics? Two ISTp girls i know of have two/three jobs. One studies my course and works like 40 hours per week aswell somehow. The other one works in a bar/health food store/general trader store. These girls are a bit younger than me though, about 21.

The ISTp guys i know aren't workaholics at all. One works for the council and he loves it when its too hot/raining so he gets the day off, the other just works a normal 9-5 job?
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I could ever be considered a workaholic. Sometimes I've noticed in the past whenever I'd get anxious or depressed about something, I'd go a little over the top with plunging myself into work but that was very brief...for like a day or two. lol. No...definetly not a workaholic by any means. Unless it was very meaningful work that really made a difference, I couldn't care less about working. I mean, sometimes i'll get random bursts of energy where I get really into it but those are few and far between. I'd much prefer to pretend like i'm working.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I don't think I could ever be considered a workaholic. Sometimes I've noticed in the past whenever I'd get anxious or depressed about something, I'd go a little over the top with plunging myself into work but that was very brief...for like a day or two. lol. No...definetly not a workaholic by any means. Unless it was very meaningful work that really made a difference, I couldn't care less about working. I mean, sometimes i'll get random bursts of energy where I get really into it but those are few and far between. I'd much prefer to pretend like i'm working.
    Yeah this is exactly what i would have expected. The ISTp's i know seem to not think work is worth screwing up your health and your life for . Its possible ive typed them wrong, but the intertype relations seem to back this up. I know ESTj's can definately be workaholics.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    How funny. I have been called a "workaholic" before, which perplexed me because tbh I can be quite a bum [and I often am, as evidenced by my hundreds of posts here]. The person who said it was looking at how much I seem to work and at how much I produce, not at how much actual work/effort I put forth. That sounds bad, but oh well. I think maybe that perception also has to do with being fairly productive even during downtime [making things, fixing things, studying things, etc. = downtime for me].
    Yes

I've been called a workaholic before and I know full well most of my current coworkers would label me as such but it has to do with what you described here. When I need to be productive and get things done, I can out-perform everyone.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How funny. I have been called a "workaholic" before, which perplexed me because tbh I can be quite a bum [and I often am, as evidenced by my hundreds of posts here]. The person who said it was looking at how much I seem to work and at how much I produce, not at how much actual work/effort I put forth. That sounds bad, but oh well. I think maybe that perception also has to do with being fairly productive even during downtime [making things, fixing things, studying things, etc. = downtime for me].

Right now, a person who looks at "all I do" might wonder if I am a workaholic, but if they saw all the sitting around and relaxing I do they would change their mind quickly For example, right now I have two jobs [for the last year I've had three, so this is a step down], I'm writing my Master's thesis, and I play a competitive sport... but the jobs are enjoyable and not especially taxing, and I would never describe myself as a workaholic [at least not to people who are not potential employers, haha] and I don't spend all my time working on those things - in fact I spend as little time as possible on them when I'm at home.

Eh, I hope that answers your question. Overall I would say, look at how much they're actually [over?]extending themselves in the things they do - if they just have a lot going on and seem to keep busy, I'd say it's more likely they are just living and doing their thing than being actual workaholics.
    Yeah very good answer and it makes sense to me. It says in the ISTp description that they get a lot done for what seems like minimal effort. I did notice that when working next to my friend in the call centre. He seemed to get a lot of online documentation done (he would even do mine for me) but i never even saw him doing it.

ISTp's can be pretty busy people. One of these girls is working heaps during the day and hitting town at night. You are probablly right shes not really over extending herself at all. My good friend is also always busy, he basically has beers every night. He had to quit drinking a while back as the doctor ordered before his liver sploded. These ISTp's go out far more than me and it sucks, i want in on this action lol.

In other news ISTP #2 went psycho on me the other night (long story). He just smsed to apologise and i said that i will not be his friend unless he quits dope, so he can ring me if that happens. I am totally sick of this shit from him.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm positive others have thought of me as a workaholic. I pull as many hours as I can simply for the money, no other reason. 40 hours a week would be ideal.

Creepy-

When I need to be productive and get things done, I can out-perform everyone.
    Perhaps this is one of the greatest things about being ISTp: the ability to get things done quickly and well... with plenty of time left over for kicking back

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Yeah very good answer and it makes sense to me. It says in the ISTp description that they get a lot done for what seems like minimal effort. I did notice that when working next to my friend in the call centre. He seemed to get a lot of online documentation done (he would even do mine for me) but i never even saw him doing it.

ISTp's can be pretty busy people. One of these girls is working heaps during the day and hitting town at night. You are probablly right shes not really over extending herself at all. My good friend is also always busy, he basically has beers every night. He had to quit drinking a while back as the doctor ordered before his liver sploded. These ISTp's go out far more than me and it sucks, i want in on this action lol.
    Yeah, I have noticed ENFp's, who also keep quite busy a lot of the time [or seem to], are a bit less efficient... I have also noticed that this can be the result of spending extra time making things "just right" - living up to their idealized versions, I guess.

In other news ISTP #2 went psycho on me the other night (long story). He just smsed to apologise and i said that i will not be his friend unless he quits dope, so he can ring me if that happens. I am totally sick of this shit from him.
    Aw, I'm sorry to hear that... I would think the apology is a pretty significant thing. I hope it turns out well!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have noticed ENFp's, who also keep quite busy a lot of the time [or seem to], are a bit less efficient... I have also noticed that this can be the result of spending extra time making things "just right" - living up to their idealized versions, I guess.
    I go in bursts. One week i will go out every day then the next week nothing happens. I feel so extraverted at the moment but i cant seem to find anyone to hang out with.

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that... I would think the apology is a pretty significant thing. I hope it turns out well!
    Apology is very significant. What is about 5x more significant though is me not forgiving someone / snapping at someone. It doesn't happen. That shows how far hes pushed me. I just hope he turns out well, as hes heading for a life of fail right now.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a slack-a-holic
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My SLI brother in law is an work-a-holic.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction: I'm a slack a holic for everything in my life except for stuff that i'm passionate about. I guess then i could resemble a workaholic.

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction: I'm a slack a holic for everything in my life except for stuff that i'm passionate about. I guess then i could resemble a workaholic.
    Summed up perfectly.
    SLI-Si subtype

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slack-o-holic is better than alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
    Summed up perfectly.
    ISTp in Australia. Nice!!! Where are you from?
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTp in Australia. Nice!!! Where are you from?
    Melbourne
    SLI-Si subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was 20, I had two jobs and no car, so I was working 60-80 hours a week AND walking between 2 and 6 miles a day. But after a few months of that, I realized I didn't have enough time for fun. (Actually, I noticed that only 2 jobs were held in a household of 4 and I held both of 'em, and immediately set about getting myself the fuck away from the leeches, which involved moving and thus quitting both jobs.)

When I was 23, I worked 4 10-hour days at Sea Ray, then babysat for my boyfriend's sister every Friday, and ran a paintball field on the weekends. The paintball field was a 2-year gig, and I had it almost a full year before I found my steady 40 job, and I nanny'd for about 10 months. Thus, for almost a year, I worked three jobs and all seven days a week. At the end of 10 months, I quit both my part-timers just to get some leisure back.

In the first case, I think I was just stubbornly trying to prove something, and when I realized it was actually getting me taken advantage of, I was entirely willing to trim back. In the second, it was a combination of all 3 gigs being quite different from one another and being heavily in debt from hospital bills I'd had no insurance to cover. But in both cases, when I cut back, I noticed how close to burnout I truly was.

I'm trying to get my motivation up to start up an organizing business like I had a few years ago, but this time just do it on the weekends. But I'm just not sure I'm gonna see enough of a return for my efforts and sacrifice of time otherwise devoted to loungin' about.

I totally agree with jessica & sappho about outperforming others. I actually have to watch out that I don't take on too much of my coworker's tasks - within a very short time I've incorporated them into my flow to the point that I'm twiddling my thumbs again, and essentially they're getting paid for what I'm doing. This has happened at multiple jobs, and I'm just not savvy enough to sell these things when review-time rolls around, so I'm doubly-fucked because I make my coworkers look better than they really are!

One time I worked a temporary job putting inventory cards into different sets, and I was so "good" at it that I finished in a quarter of the time they expected me to. So you know what they did? Sent me home. My Mom yelled at me (nicely) that I'd worked my way out of a job. But I couldn't help it - I'd tried slowing down, and it made me so bored that I actually made more mistakes that way!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One time I worked a temporary job putting inventory cards into different sets, and I was so "good" at it that I finished in a quarter of the time they expected me to. So you know what they did? Sent me home. My Mom yelled at me (nicely) that I'd worked my way out of a job. But I couldn't help it - I'd tried slowing down, and it made me so bored that I actually made more mistakes that way!
    See, this is why you need Ne. You could have built an inventory card CASTLE first, THEN finished the job AND gotten paid for all of it.
    IEE

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was a workaholic i'd never have time for my favorite pastime.

Watching standup!

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience ISTps that I've known have fallen clearly on a polarized subtype.

Te subtype - definitely is prone to workaholicism, buying new shit, going to big parties, just out and about more doing things (not necessarily with a purpose). Easier to get to know than the other subtype (more upfront with what they know, what they're good at, what they do)

Si subtype - much more chill, do what they want when they want and don't let external factors determine and control their days. Generally quieter than the other subtype. Despite inactivity that rivals that of ILIs and IEIs this subtype, in my experience has plenty of impressive "secret" talents which reveal themselves over time (art/cooking/technical knowledge etc.)
    INFp-Ni

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been said that most personalities fall under two subtypes.

One that is more active, alert = Ethical, Logical

One that is more "go with the flow" = Sensor, Intuitive

Not only physically/mannerisms can you notice the difference but also in how they use words textually. Both types tend to get along with each other but a certain subtype will have a much better understanding of where the other is coming from a certain subtype. The subtype descriptions given by Russians are ERROR. Logical/Ethical types NEED TO BE CONVINCED that what they're doing is worthwhile (productive) while a Sensor/Intuitive type does not, they actually prefer someone ELSE fill in a role in a more natural sense.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my sli uncle is a workaholic..... major .. to the poiont that he has very very few if any real life relationships.. he is like addicted to working and getting money to buy really really expensive shit.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I could ever be considered a workaholic.
    I agree, you are a forumholic

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ISTps I know have stationary inertia.. but if they feel like it they will become very focused. I think it has to do with efficiency, not so much as loving work.