I very much enjoyed your post UDP. I found it both clear and insightful.
I would like to write some observations about a recent social experience I had, after reading your post I will attempt to keep it as clear as possible.
It's more observation to start with, should be some quotes at the end.

I had gone out for a drink with two friends, an LSE and an LII, myself being IEE.

To add some context the LII had in his youth, some issues with being treated badly by women.
A few years ago another friend of his suggested to him that he was too nice and should treat women a little meaner to get them to like/love/respect him etc.
My friend had always described his friend as an "alpha male", I had never met this person.
He has now been going out with an SEI for about two years, he has very little time for her and in my opinion treats her less well than he should.
In my opinion her confidence suffers from his attitude towards her and the consensus amoungst our mutual friends is that they do not have a healthy relationship.

Anyway...back to what was for me a curious and enlightening moment.
The three of us were having a drink, when a friend of the LII spots us and comes over to join us accompanied by his girlfriend.
I was paying particular attention to everyones interactions, as I was still at this point uncertain as to whether the LII, was LII or ILE
Well to cust down a very long story to just a long one, the friend was SLE and she was IEI and of course, he was the one that gave my friend the advise that seemed to be so damaging and contrary to who he really is.

Nearly time for some quotes...well paraphrases...After the SLE and the IEI left, I started talking to my friends just to confirm or reject my observations.

LII: aaaAARrghh laddy, you be taking this nonsense too serious, I be worried about ye, I think ye be fooling in it, to escape other problems! In additon most pirates not be interested in this type of mental sorcery
LSE: Actually I'm really interested in this stuff I like it, I just don't have time, to look at it properly

We start to talk about the SLE and IEI.

LII: aaaAARrghh laddy, I will tell you something, she be follwing that swashbuckling sea dog wherever he goes, if he be wanting to talk to his crew she'll be hovering around obediently until he be ready to savage her. That be when he gave me the advise to treat wenches like wenches.
Me: I say something really clever, witty and insightful.
LII: says something...not stupid...but missing the point
Me: I say somthing else
LSE: tells me to stop being so defensive.
If my memory serves me correctly, I then got distracted by a buxom wench, clench my cutlass between my teeth and swing on a chandalier over to the bar. I then buy a happy hour mojito for myself and a white wine for the lady.

hmmm...I'm not really sure what my point was...I suppose what it comes down to is that it was really funny watching my supervisor getting supervised.