Thread: A Good Article

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Good Article

http://www.socionics.com/articles/fpt.htm

I think that what's said here applies not only to personality tests, but to personality typing in general. I notice that a lot of times, people seem to try and act like their personality type, rather than being themselves; you simply cannot expect every ENFp to always be feeling and never be logical. That's why it's a mistake to say that one is or is not a specific type based on one piece of evidence. As I said before, you have to look at the whole picture. And that follows from the fact that the article is right in saying that people are usually a number of types, not just one single type (although one type might predominate).

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always though of it like this. A feeling person will be prevail better in situations where feeling is needed and a thinking type likewise.

I am a thinking type that's not to say I don't feel, it simply means that I think better than I feel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree and I think the central idea is that we all have a default personality, a natural way of processing information that we gravitate towards. That doesn't mean we can't act or appear in endless different ways depending on other factors.

But how people act on the outside doesn't really matter as much as the internal, underlying way of looking at things that we come back to when relaxed. That is the foundation of how we are structured, and from there we of course take off in many different directions depending on who we are as people and the choices we make. People of the same type often don't even resemble each other, but when you get down to basics the similarities are there.

I think of this like someone being left or right handed. They can choose to use the other hand, but they'd more often prefer to say, pick up a pencil with their natural hand. And most of the time that's what they'd do, except for maybe in some situations they'd choose to force themselves to write with the other hand. That's not to say that all lefties appear the same, just that in one narrow area they are similar.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I agree and I think the central idea is that we all have a default personality, a natural way of processing information that we gravitate towards. That doesn't mean we can't act or appear in endless different ways depending on other factors.

But how people act on the outside doesn't really matter as much as the internal, underlying way of looking at things that we come back to when relaxed. That is the foundation of how we are structured, and from there we of course take off in many different directions depending on who we are as people and the choices we make. People of the same type often don't even resemble each other, but when you get down to basics the similarities are there.

I think of this like someone being left or right handed. They can choose to use the other hand, but they'd more often prefer to say, pick up a pencil with their natural hand. And most of the time that's what they'd do, except for maybe in some situations they'd choose to force themselves to write with the other hand. That's not to say that all lefties appear the same, just that in one narrow area they are similar.

How can I compete with that.

Well mine was shorter.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG

that articles is clearly written by a beginner who know's shit about personality types.

yeah i can be any type I want... Look I'm dancing, so now I'm an ESFP, look I'm reading, now I'm an INTP.

YUK

btw what has been written by everybody above is also ridiculous shit. it's nice to speculate and stuff, but keep it to yourself.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Can we just all agree that 'personality theory' is bullshit created by liberals with too much time on their hands? They should go back to advocating for environmental causes or something.

The APA is nothing more than a *political* organization advancing progressive causes and trying to get minorities back up on their feet. And I don't mind, since I tend to agree with everything they say. But let's just be realistic here, and call 'psychology' for what it is.

I have to give them lots of golfclaps though. They were one of the first disciplines to dive their noses headfirst into homosexuality at a time in the world when everybody was all pretty much EEK! A GAY!, and came to the conclusion after many tests that it wasn't an illness, or a disease, etc. They helped correct a lot of Freud's bullshit, and the Stepford Wives' syndrome in the 1950s when everybody was obsessed with 'normal.'

But psychology is STILL bullshit, no matter how pretty and humanitarian one makes it out to be.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Can we just all agree that 'personality theory' is bullshit created by liberals with too much time on their hands? They should go back to advocating for environmental causes or something.

The APA is nothing more than a *political* organization advancing progressive causes and trying to get minorities back up on their feet. And I don't mind, since I tend to agree with everything they say. But let's just be realistic here, and call 'psychology' for what it is.

I have to give them lots of golfclaps though. They were one of the first disciplines to dive their noses headfirst into homosexuality at a time in the world when everybody was all pretty much EEK! A GAY!, and came to the conclusion after many tests that it wasn't an illness, or a disease, etc. They helped correct a lot of Freud's bullshit, and the Stepford Wives' syndrome in the 1950s when everybody was obsessed with 'normal.'

But psychology is STILL bullshit, no matter how pretty and humanitarian one makes it out to be.
    No

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    OMG

that articles is clearly written by a beginner who know's shit about personality types.

yeah i can be any type I want... Look I'm dancing, so now I'm an ESFP, look I'm reading, now I'm an INTP.

YUK

btw what has been written by everybody above is also ridiculous shit. it's nice to speculate and stuff, but keep it to yourself.
    So you actually believe that people act the same way all the time? I'm sorry to tell you, but what you're saying is extremely unreasonable.

Jason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference is actually "being" a type vs. just "acting" like one. We all act like all 16 types in different situations, but our natural approach is our type.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The world can alter the expression of your type. There's a difference between behavior and information processing. Now please can we stop this nonsense?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jason_m View Post
    So you actually believe that people act the same way all the time? I'm sorry to tell you, but what you're saying is extremely unreasonable.

Jason
    personality type is the same sort of catagorization as gender type.

You are either man or woman. This doesn't mean a man can't gossip, dance, sing and do ballet, this also doesn't mean a woman can't drink beer, fart, burp and fight in a bar.

What personality type is all about is how you use information elements (priorities and roles). An INTJ can of course become a boxer and an ESTP can read scientific journals.
    They still do those things in their own INTJ and ESTP way.

What many beginners seems to misunderstand is that they think you need to be a certain type to perform a certain task. e.g. reading is something only introverts can do. So if I read a book, at that time I'm an introvert. That is nonsense for everybody who understands what types and information processing is all about.

Questions?