Thread: can you counsciously use a subcounscious function?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default can you counsciously use a subcounscious function?

who has some input on this...

BTW question can also be rephrased as: Can you counsciously choose to receive information gathered by the subcounscious?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    I dunno, do we use functions?
    yes that's also a very good question.

maybe I should rephrase it to:

Can you counsciously choose to receive information gathered by the subcounscious?

I'll add it to the start post.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You receive the information whether you want to or not. The question is whether or not it is at the forefront of your consciousness. Which is possible, yeah; I "use" Ti, in terms of determining logical consistency or making deductions, all the time. But it's not like they are some special part of your brain you can tap into in order to experience reality differently or something.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You receive the information whether you want to or not. The question is whether or not it is at the forefront of your consciousness. Which is possible, yeah. But it's not like they are some special part of your brain you can tap into in order to experience reality differently or something.
    Yes this seems most likely. But it seems that many people on this forum are convinced that they can shift to any function at their own wish. What's your opinion about that? (Maybe I misinterpretate what people mean by that, or do they just have a wrong idea about how functions work)

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhhh...I don't know what you mean by "shift to any function at will." If you mean that you can notice different things by focusing on the different aspects of a situation, then yeah; if you watch a ball swinging back and forth on a string, you can focus on the shape and physical characteristics of the ball (Se+Ti), or the movement of the ball (Te+Si), or what might happen if you cut the string (Ni+Te), or how watching the ball move is making you feel (Fe+Si), or what would it be like to be a ball (Ni+Fe, lol)...You can think about whatever you like All your type says is what you are most likely to think about.
    Last edited by Gilly; 12-24-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    who has some input on this...

BTW question can also be rephrased as: Can you counsciously choose to receive information gathered by the subcounscious?
    I think it is like using a foreign language: when you are a newbie, you have to think a few seconds before you speak, but as you get used to the new language, you don't have to think about it. Functions may work the same way: if you are a logical type and start to focus on others' feelings, you'll end up noticing the moods of the people around you easily. There are limitations, though. Perhaps your 5th and 6th functions are easier to develop than 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th. Who knows, anyway?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Uhhh...I don't know what you mean by "shift to any function at will." If you mean that you can notice different things by focusing on the different aspects of a situation, then yeah; if you watch a ball swinging back and forth on a string, you can focus on the shape and physical characteristics of the ball (Se+Ti), or the movement of the ball (Te+Si), or what might happen if you cut the string (Ni+Te), or how watching the ball move is making you feel (Fe+Si), or what would it be like to be a ball (Ni+Fe, lol)...You can think about whatever you like All your type says is what you are most likely to think about.
    Yes, that's a good example.

But I'm I'm not convinced it works that way. Though it seems many people think it does work that way...

Maybe if other people have some input, I'm able to form my question better, or have concrete examples.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can be counsciously aware of your subcounscious functions, why don't they call them counscious functions too then?

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

When I see a ball, the first thing I notice is if the shape and color of the ball complements my soul, or speaks to me in that fashion.

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    If you can be counsciously aware of your subcounscious functions, why don't they call them counscious functions too then?
    I read that you don't verbalize your 5-6-7-8 functions, whereas you verbalize 1-2-3-4 functions. That is why they call them conscious, but it doesn't have anything to do with thinking about them, but with talking about them.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.