Thread: Type Motivations

Default Type Motivations

I wanted to start a thread about the motivations of different types and where that may come from. I hope this becomes an interactive discussion about the different types and their ethoses, archetypes within the types, and why they tend to behave the way they do with other people. I hope this can be a positive and useful discussion. To that end, I should probably say that I don't believe people have rigid types (or at least they don't have to). I think usually they are taught to behave a certain way and are rewarded for behaving that way, so they continue to do that even when later on it may not be the best thing to do in a certain situation. I think by looking at type this way we can learn from the other types how to interact in situations where they might be more comfortable in/successful at than we are.

Anyhow, I'll start with ESTJs. One of the archetypes of ESTJ that I have noticed is what I'll call the Stabilizer/Securitizer. This sort of ESTj is interested in making sure that things don't get out of hand. They tend to be very self assured, devoted to a particular ideology, and reasonable. Many bureaucrats, politicians, and commentators are this subtype. They want to make sure society doesn't go to hell in a handbasket. In the current economic instability they tend to be advocates for stabilization of the markets unless they are capitalist ideologues. They take a sort of "We must do something!" tack because they do not know what could result from not taking action but, they fear it will be worse than doing nothing. A good representative of this type is Tony Blankley a political commentator who works for the washington post and is on the radio program Left, Right, and Center. He always takes a reasonable stance, avoids extreme statements, and tries to be fair to the other side. Because of this he has a better read on what people of viewpoints in opposition to his own think. He practices a socially conservative way of life which he seems to view as a wise way to live but, he does not frequently speak about his personal life. The problems that this sort of type can encounter are usually caused by their strengths. Making the world more stable and secure can be a worthy goal but, if it is taken too far it can lead to stagnation or a way of life that is so particular it cannot survive over the long haul (like dependence upon an oil economy). Another problem these types can encounter is in the sphere of interpersonal relations. Often, they can be very closed to other people. The composure that works so well in the office can leave others feeling a little cold. They are slow to let other people in. A lot of times this is because they have opened up to someone in a moment of weakness and been burned. Because of this they can shut out intimacy. They have trouble relying on others. They do not trust other people to hold up their end of the bargain. They fear betrayal. This is why they try to securitize things. It makes them feel more competent and in control. Oftentimes they select mates that will be devoted to them without question. This can lead to unhealthy relationships that are sort of oddly codependent. Where there is no room for love because fear gets in the way. Fear that if this person is not dependent upon them then they will not love them.

I guess I focused a bit more on the pitfalls that an estj can face in interpersonal relations than I intended. I guess this is because so often it is very easy to view them as strong, competent, and in charge. But, like all people they are multi-faceted and one thing that gets overlooked all too often is the person hiding underneath the mask. I hope that this doesn't come off as too critical. Hopefully, an open, honest, and fair exploration of these topics will result from this sort of discussion that will allow the participants to recognize in themselves a tiny piece of the people I am presenting so that should they have similar difficulties they can become aware of them and confront them. Perhaps that is what this forum has been missing lately, open exploration that does not lambast others for petty reasons and lock them into black and white stereotypes and opposition to one another. Anyhow, next time I will write more about the thrill seeker estj. Think Tony Starke in Iron Man. A sort of carousing, wild, excitement seeking type of ESTj.
    Stolen Identity by Argentina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjC-q5FBgk

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What do you mean people don't have rigid types? That seems bs, people's personalities don't seem to change much... unless extreme circumstances I guess. But normally don't.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Motivation in the usual meaning of that word, is determined by the leading function of a type.

People are motivated to find environments/situations in which their leading function is most stimulated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about what I've read and have seen.

BTW I guess 99% of the people agree on the fact that types don't change during your life.