Thread: Sensors are Right-Brained

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Sensors are Right-Brained

This is a clip of a neuroscientist who experienced a stroke and chronicled her experience from the inside - I highly recommend it.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j...f_insight.html

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Ne, Si and to less extent Fi and Te in the right hemisphere description. Thus it's likely that Se, Ni, Ti and Fe are left.

After watching that video (I had seen it before) I understood the connection between Ne and Si much better.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    I see Ne, Si and to less extent Fi and Te in the right hemisphere description. Thus it's likely that Se, Ni, Ti and Fe are left.

After watching that video (I had seen it before) I understood the connection between Ne and Si much better.
    That is a very interesting conclusion. I think that I agree with what you have said.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    That is of course totally wrong.

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She had difficult clearly defining what was what and who she was (every mixed into everything) which IMO means the stroke disabled her ability to use Ti.

Her experiences of what she called right brained activity seem to be a mix of Si (awareness of body) which could of been brought on by the fact she had done some exercise, some intuitive function (stream of consciousness) and some ethical function (thinking about all the 'good and beautiful' in the world people).

Strangely enough she seemed to have ability to assess the situation and form a set of clear actions to reach a specific goal (calling work, matching squiggles on card to squiggles on phone) and she remembered what she had to do and stuck with it, yet she really didn't have a clear idea of what was going on. Which IMO looks something like Te (and some Si) with absolutely no Ti.
    ἀταραξία

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    This is a clip of a neuroscientist who experienced a stroke and chronicled her experience from the inside - I highly recommend it.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j...f_insight.html
    Fascinating insights, thanks! Now I know why I smoke weed: it's to shut up the Ne chatter of my left hemisphere and pass control to my Si right hemisphere
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dee View Post
    right brain part - parallel processor, left - serial processor, wow, this really points to right-brained people being result and left-brained - process.
    Not at all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that's what's in the video Huitz posted, so it's not my problem.
    It's your problem if you believe in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extraordinary and very moving video.
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just did this test and me being right brained coincides w/ me being result ((S)LE).
    You know process/result is also referred to as left/right (http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...ess_and_result), perhaps it is actually referring to left and right brain hemispheres? I am considered 'process' as an ISTj and also very much left-brained in the way that I process information, so I suppose that I must confirm your theory as well. Also, I can easily understand why a parallel processor would find it easier to multi-task and a serial processor would have to be much more involved in whatever it is doing. You are very observant to have noticed this distinction - good work!

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you and so LSI of you to say all such.
    Thank you, why do you say that? I presume from the traits in your signature that we have a mirror relation.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli View Post
    You know process/result is also referred to as left/right (http://wikisocion.org/en/index.php?t...ess_and_result), perhaps it is actually referring to left and right brain hemispheres?
    No, no, no. Read this, please:

RIGHT – LEFT (process vs. result, evolyutory vs. involyutory)
    PRAVYE – LEVYE (protsess – rezultat, evolyutory – involyutory)

(Because this sign was "renamed" by V.Gulenko, a confusion arose. In A.Augustinavichjute [ 2 ] and G.Reinina [ 5 ] this sign is called "left – right" (Leftists are ILE, SEI, EIE, LSI, SEE, ILI, LSE and EII, , rightists – ESE, LII, SLE, IEI, LIE, ESI, IEE and SLI). We utilized in this article the more contemporary "opposite" designations of V.Gulenko and T.Prokofevoy (Leftists are ESE, LII, SLE, IEI, LIE, ESI, IEE and SLI, rightists – ILE, SEI, EIE, LSI, SEE, ILI, LSE and EII). As the names of the attributes do not determine the attributes themselves, the changing of the names is an insignificant detail, but still mentioned in case one encounters opposite classifications)

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli
    I am considered 'process' as an ISTj and also very much left-brained in the way that I process information, so I suppose that I must confirm your theory as well.
    Not at all. You are jumping to conclusions based on too little factual information. If you study these phenomena a little further, you will realize that your "theory" doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Huitzilopochtli
    Also, I can easily understand why a parallel processor would find it easier to multi-task and a serial processor would have to be much more involved in whatever it is doing. You are very observant to have noticed this distinction - good work!
    Bad work. The test dee linked to is based on the most common understanding of these aspects of thinking -- that the overall pattern is that J (rationality) is left brain and P (irrationality) is right brain. All the different types of thinking mentioned in relation to that test is sorted along these lines. The left brain thinking styles are all J, the right brain thinking styles are all P.

I am myself fairly balanced according to most tests, including that one. In some ways I clearly prefer what is, according to that test site, a left brain style, whereas I in other ways clearly prefer and act according to a right brain thinking style.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Bad work. The test dee linked to is based on the most common understanding of these aspects of thinking -- that the overall pattern is that J (rationality) is left brain and P (irrationality) is right brain. All the different types of thinking mentioned in relation to that test is sorted along these lines. The left brain thinking styles are all J, the right brain thinking styles are all P.

I am myself fairly balanced according to most tests, including that one. In some ways I clearly prefer what is, according to that test site, a left brain style, whereas I in other ways clearly prefer and act according to a right brain thinking style.
    I agree with Phaedrus on the issue. Trying to connect process-result to brain emisphere preference is misleading.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    INTp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, no, no. Read this, please:

Not at all. You are jumping to conclusions based on too little factual information. If you study these phenomena a little further, you will realize that your "theory" doesn't make any sense.

I answered 3 questions as a right-brained person and 15 questions as a left-brained person, which is a typical score for me. That the test options are sorted by their characteristic right/left qualities is necessary for the determination of a mutually exclusive hemispheric dominance (which is indeed the purpose of the test), and if there exists a correlation of the test's polarization of content to socionics dichotomies then perhaps it is ultimately justified. The information that you presented is interesting, but it doesn't explain the reasoning for using right/left designations or for switching them. Might I inquire as to the author? And lastly, how does the theory not make sense?

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This goes to show what takes place in the right side of the brain, but not everything that takes place in the right side. As far as you know the N functions are over there too, while T and F are on the left. Or as far as you know this person was experiencing a subjective reality of limitation, to where only certain aspects of realization had come through.

So far it has been a decent hypothesis for many that ps are more right-brained and js are more left-brained. I would say there could definitely be statistics on this showing a correlation of P functions to right and J functions to left, but it's not always true.

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is of course totally wrong.
    I agree with this.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is that I read somewhere that Augusta said:

Judgers : Left = Statics, Right = Dynamics
    Percievers : Left = Dynamics, Right = Statics

This would mean (if you based it on types primary functions)

Te, Fe, Ti, Fi - right brained
    Ne, Se, Ni, Si - left brained

Maybe whoever wrote that put it backwards.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    The funny thing is that I read somewhere that Augusta said:

Judgers : Left = Statics, Right = Dynamics
    Percievers : Left = Dynamics, Right = Statics

This would mean (if you based it on types primary functions)

Te, Fe, Ti, Fi - right brained
    Ne, Se, Ni, Si - left brained

Maybe whoever wrote that put it backwards.
    No, that would mean:
    Xi - left brained
    Xe - right brained

I find it easiest to relate this to Judging/Perceiving, and Static/Dynamic would be my second guess. Mixing Augusta's idea into this:
    Xi accepting, Xe producing: Left brained
    Xe accepting, Xi producing: Right brained

Putting the divide along Static/Dynamic in a single individual makes sense for the model of moving between the brain hemispheres rather than using them together. Also, it seems very strange for nearly everyone to leave the same brain hemisphere unused... this is an argument for the divide being Static/Dynamic.

She was probably an Alpha NT, which explains well enough what abilities she lost/discovered in the stroke by the Static/Dynamic hypothesis; by Augusta's hypothesis, it only makes sense if she's LII (which she probably is). I'm afraid my Judging/Perceiving hypothesis wreaks havoc with what I see as.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    No, that would mean:
    Xi - left brained
    Xe - right brained
    Oh that's right. I'm such a sensotard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Putting the divide along Static/Dynamic in a single individual makes sense for the model of moving between the brain hemispheres rather than using them together. Also, it seems very strange for nearly everyone to leave the same brain hemisphere unused... this is an argument for the divide being Static/Dynamic.
    I doubt she meant unused, just as I doubt she meant for one to fit perfectly into 1 of the 16 types.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about we don't correlate things to brain hemispheres and call it a day?
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    How about we don't correlate things to brain hemispheres and call it a day?
    I can do whatever I want. I have , and just for the record, there's obviously some correlation. Nothing is perfectly equal in use.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

*waits for a conclusion*

So am I right-brained or left-brained? I've never known up til now, and I'm hoping somebody will tell me.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am middle-brained.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I can do whatever I want. I have , and just for the record, there's obviously some correlation. Nothing is perfectly equal in use.
    Why is there obviously some correlation?

Quote Originally Posted by octopuslove View Post
    Improved, slightly.
    I'm in agreement with this btw. At least with the data we have atm.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    Why is there obviously some correlation?
    You know what a probability is right? What's the probability that one is an irrational P vs being rational J?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Therefore quarters made before 1950 usually land on heads and all those after usually land on tails?

Is that along the lines of what you're saying?

Because that's honestly what it sounds like.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argh, people. Learn some basic neuroscience. Lateralisation of brain function isn't this simple. Jill Bolte Taylor's speech is interesting and all, but in terms of science, it's vastly misleading and outdated. By about 30 years.
    No, MysticSonic is just avoiding the point both of us are trying to make. That nobody is exactly one type, just as no one thing is perfectly correlated to another. There is no 50/50 perfection, so there will always be correlation. No matter how small, the dominant usually anticipates its opposite.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait. What? I've totally lost the thread of the argument.
    I don't know why you're confused. But for simplicity reasons, chose any two objects from the room you're in and compare them. Sooner or later you're going to find some commonalities. Secondly that they are likely commonalities between two objects because they are commonalities of many objects. Somethings uniqueness is beside the point of making correlations.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    Maybe it's just the wording of this, but this sounds wrong. Assuming socionics is correct, you are exactly one type. How you express your type is up to how you express your individuality and your own self. Add some biology and some spiritual philosophy and you get very different people of the same type while them using the same types of cognitive processes to reach the majority of their conclusions and perceptions.
    I agree it's partly the wording. I'm referring to what people make of the types, an excess of wrong definitions floating around. Theoretically someone is exactly one type, but how are you to decide that? Objective means or subjective means, and where do these means come from? This is why typing always has its faults.