Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betas do you get asked this often?

TIM
    Si 6 spsx
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Betas do you get asked this often?

"are you angry?"

a few people i've considered beta types have said they get asked this when they aren't angry at all. like others read anger into them.

Creepy-male

All the time -- pisses me off.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    "are you angry?"

a few people i've considered beta types have said they get asked this when they aren't angry at all. like others read anger into them.
    Are you horny?

I hate it when people say shit like "don't get angry"

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Not really asked if I am angry. When I am people know it. I get asked, "are you ok?" or "where are you?" occasionally. Probably because I get lost in thought or stare off in the middle of conversations sometimes.

Some have asked, "are you crazy?" I usually just say, "yes" to that. I figure if they are seriously asking they won't comprehend any rational response I could make to that sort of question.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Are you horny?

I hate it when people say shit like "don't get angry"
    calm down

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

It happens more often than I would like it to happen.
    Sigh.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i get asked "how can you have so much energy and/or how come you're so positive/enthusiastic" --however when i do get angry lol they don't need to ask

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry beta's.... *shudders*

I've been wondering ever since joining what you guys were so upset about ;-)

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Not really. I get asked "What are you thinking about?" very often.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    calm down
    hahahaha

yeh that one is funny too.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Not really. I get asked "What are you thinking about?" very often.
    what are you thinking about?

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have many close friends and co-workers who have never seen me angry at all.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I have many close friends and co-workers who have never seen me angry at all.
    Why hold back?

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've dealt with this a lot from my ESE mom, a bit less so from my IEE dad and EII step mom. with mom it's usually a solicitous, 'are you ok?' or 'are you in a bad mood?' when I'm probably just a bit tense or halfway annoyed at some random bullshit I was thinking about. with the deltas it's more about apprehending and sometimes trivializing whatever 'state' you happen to be in, usually with innocuous inquiries, but occasionally with offhand commentary. never had this issue with gammas, though I haven't dealt with many... their approach seems a bit more direct and tangible, like so long as you aren't impinging on basic harmony or people you're generally fine, and betas just tend to get it. so on the whole, a bit more with alphas, though basically in this kind of childish way, Fi types overall are generally less concerned with how a person emotively 'seems.'
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Why hold back?
    I generally know what people are capable of beforehand. So when someone does something that's typically out of character, i don't really see it that way.

I don't hold back. I'm direct to a fault, i just resolve it before it effects me.
    Projection is ordinary. Person A projects at person B, hoping tovalidate something about person A by the response of person B. However, person B, not wanting to be an obejct of someone elses ego and guarding against existential terror constructs a personality which protects his ego and maintain a certain sense of a robust and real self that is different and separate from person A. Sadly, this robust and real self, cut off by defenses of character from the rest of the world, is quite vulnerable and fragile given that it is imaginary and propped up through external feed back. Person B is dimly aware of this and defends against it all the more, even desperately projecting his anxieties back onto person A, with the hope of shoring up his ego with salubrious validation. All of this happens without A or B acknowledging it, of course. Because to face up to it consciously is shocking, in that this is all anybody is doing or can do and it seems absurd when you realize how pathetic it is.

TIM
    IEI Fe E4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really get asked if I feel angry. I don't get asked about my feelings much at all... maybe it's because I don't really take them seriously. It's wierd, but I'm not sure if I know what a feeling of anger is. That is, anger directed at a specific person who has wronged me. I often feel so much involved in the other person, that there's no room left in me for a feeling of anger.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not angry but I get a lot of, "what's wrong?" "you look down" But then I tell them my face just looks like that.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I generally know what people are capable of beforehand. So when someone does something that's typically out of character, i don't really see it that way.

I don't hold back. I'm direct to a fault, i just resolve it before it effects me.
    How? How do you not set limitations on what's typical of someone's character if you have Fe/Ti? Something isn't adding up...

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Estel View Post
    I don't really get asked if I feel angry. I don't get asked about my feelings much at all... maybe it's because I don't really take them seriously. It's wierd, but I'm not sure if I know what a feeling of anger is. That is, anger directed at a specific person who has wronged me. I often feel so much involved in the other person, that there's no room left in me for a feeling of anger.
    What do you mean when you say you don't take your feelings seriously? I may be able to relate to that but it depends what you mean.

TIM
    So/Sx Introvert
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

I get this asked only when I am boiling on the inside, without even being aware of it myself at first.

Other than that, it is not a common question.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get asked all the time if I'm on drugs. FML

bye now
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Heh. I've had people say I look like a stoner before...

TIM
    IEI Fe E4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyx2OxenFree View Post
    What do you mean when you say you don't take your feelings seriously? I may be able to relate to that but it depends what you mean.
    I mean I don't feel any loyalty to a specific emotion I am feeling at any certain time; I often have to consciously search to discover the source of my emotion. When I feel emotions, its not because of something within me that has been wronged or frustrated. Rather, my 'feelings' directly feed off of the people and situations surrounding me.

I often feel frustrated when I can't get something I want badly. But I would seldom describe the feeling as anger.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fighter View Post
    How? How do you not set limitations on what's typical of someone's character if you have Fe/Ti? Something isn't adding up...
    He is IEI-Ni

Extraverted ethics (feeling) internal dynamics of objects Fe Fe is responsible for the perception of an emotional state in an individual and the bodily and linguistic expression of emotions. Fe is able to influence others' emotional condition and to communicate its own, "infecting" others. Fe is used especially in generating and recognizing excitement and enthusiasm.

Setting limits on someone else's character seems more Fi related to me.

Introverted ethics (feeling) internal statics of fields Fi Fi is responsible for understanding the quality, nature, and proper maintenance of personal relations; makes moral judgments; and aspires to humanism and kindness. Fi has a strong understanding of the social hierarchy and how people feel about each other, their attitudes of like or dislike, enthrallment or disgust, repulsion or attraction, enmity or friendship.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean... you set limits on people, they're just very flexible limits, IMO. I get super pissed at objects when they don't perform as they're supposed to bc they're object, you know, you're supposed to be able to count on them to perform as advertised. Not so with people. Too many factors, too many variables, too much information. It's kinda like socionics, no real limits on *what* people can do, more like limits on how they'd do it. I don't really get surprised at people very often, unless I don't know them very well, or based my opinion on some fake part of their personality. Like, I had a co-worker tell me a story about drinking alarmingly heavily and I wasn't really surprised... that was kind of an area of his life I had no preconceptions about, and now that piece of info fits in with the rest of it, I suppose.

Also I rarely get "are you mad." It's usually "are you okay?" Which I find super annoying because it usually means "you're doing something that confuses/concerns/upsets me" and I'm like ugh you just interrupted my process of doing whatever I was doing by making me waste time smiling and assuring you I'm fine. And yeah, it's usually either very obvious that I'm mad (someone has done something unacceptable and I feel capable of correcting it) or just vaguely emotionally noncommittal as I withdraw from the situation until I am in private to deal with it (either I'm not sure who's in the wrong, if anyone; or, I can't do anything to fix the situation through a show of emotion, so there's no point in wasting the energy.)

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverchris9 View Post
    I mean... you set limits on people, they're just very flexible limits, IMO.
    I was not sure what she had meant by "limits on character" so I was hoping someone would comment on this. I don't think I set limits on other's. I do set my own boundaries though and those boundaries are very flexible, depending on the person. I am rarely surprised even though I may say, "oh you surprised me!", somewhere in the back of my mind I saw it coming which makes it easier to deal with with whether it is acceptable or not. I try not to prejudge people even when I do suspect they are going to do something totally fucked up down the line.

I am also quick to forgive offenses. I knew this girl who would steal from me all the time and deny it even when I would find my stuff in her purse. She would say that i gave it to her or that she bought the same thing. I even saw her wearing jewelry that my ex had engraved my name on and it was so comical the way she tried to say it was hers until I pointed out my name on it. She just took it off and handed it back to me with a shrug and a sorry. The worst part is she was so likable and funny that I would forget being angry with her. I finally set my boundaries with her and haven't seen her since. I am much happier without her around. I don't hide my stuff anymore. I feel free but it took a couple of years to get rid of her because she made me laugh and she seemed to have a good heart but was the biggest EIE kleptomaniac.

Limiting someone's character, for me, is to judge them right/wrong/good/bad, then not giving them any room to be anything different, so it does not surprise me when people who do this are often surprised by someone else.

YWIMW

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    lol ikr. when people tell me to "calm down" all i hear is "please get pissed at me"

I think it really depends on which beta type you're asking. This seems like something that would happen to beta rationals more for some reason.

As for me, I do get pissed off, and somehow I don't think people are left wondering about it...

*adjusts furniture to hide stains*
    Thinking back on SLE explosions I can laugh and they can laugh with me. They were not funny at the time though.

I had an ILI throw spaghetti, with sauce, on my ceiling once because I inadvertently made him jealous. It was a high ceiling over a staircase so I was unable to clean it off. I moved a few days later but the stain was still there. The apartment was immaculate otherwise so I got my deposit back.

ftr, I HAD a knack for turning the most mild mannered men into monsters.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    He is IEI-Ni

Extraverted ethics (feeling) internal dynamics of objects Fe Fe is responsible for the perception of an emotional state in an individual and the bodily and linguistic expression of emotions. Fe is able to influence others' emotional condition and to communicate its own, "infecting" others. Fe is used especially in generating and recognizing excitement and enthusiasm.

Setting limits on someone else's character seems more Fi related to me.

Introverted ethics (feeling) internal statics of fields Fi Fi is responsible for understanding the quality, nature, and proper maintenance of personal relations; makes moral judgments; and aspires to humanism and kindness. Fi has a strong understanding of the social hierarchy and how people feel about each other, their attitudes of like or dislike, enthrallment or disgust, repulsion or attraction, enmity or friendship.
    Read it carefully Aylen.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Read it carefully Aylen.
    I did. You want to share your take on it and on what pookie said or should I guess?

Edit: I am not so good at Te so any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks.

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotional manipulation is exclusive of emotional forecasting and prediction. One is driving an emotional state while the other can reign it in.

Pookie actually has emotional holographic capability. So I'm thinking she's HP cognition not VS cognition.

In other words, Fe is going to create an emotional state while what Pookie is explaining is an assessment of a predefined state.

TIM
    IEI Fe E4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    The worst part is she was so likable and funny that I would forget being angry with her. I finally set my boundaries with her and haven't seen her since. I am much happier without her around. I don't hide my stuff anymore. I feel free but it took a couple of years to get rid of her because she made me laugh and she seemed to have a good heart but was the biggest EIE kleptomaniac.
    Can totally relate to this. When someone is "wronging" me in some way, I feel removed from the situation, as if Im merely observing the effect of this other person on myself. Afterwards I end up asking myself, "wait a minute - they just got away with something totally offensive...!? "

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Emotional manipulation is exclusive of emotional forecasting and prediction. One is driving an emotional state while the other can reign it in.

Pookie actually has emotional holographic capability. So I'm thinking she's HP cognition not VS cognition.

In other words, Fe is going to create an emotional state while what Pookie is explaining is an assessment of a predefined state.
    What Pookie (who is a he) was explaining was real life situations and how he deals with it from my perspective so I believe I understand him without further explanation on his part. What I am having a problem with is how you are attributing what he said to not being Fe. Unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying. It felt like you were trying to insinuate something but wasn't direct about it. I know you think I am defensive sometimes but I am not being defensive right now. Just trying to get to the core of what you meant in your response to him.

You said:
    I am sort of feeling like what you really wanted to say to him is that he is not an Fe/Ti user. Without coming right out and saying it. Is that correct?

Ni users have no problem seeing what is most probable and even predicting. This is why I am not fond of socionsspeak. Please explain what this means to you and how you view Fe as exclusive in this context.
    Emotional manipulation is exclusive of emotional forecasting and prediction
    An example would be helpful. I would even take some Te (what is commonly understood to be socionics facts) if it is not clear I will ask for more info.

I am viewing what Pookie said through an Ni filter to begin with but my Ni seems to be failing to connect with your Ni.

Introverted Intuition (Ni) deals with understanding how the world works through internal intuitive analysis. Ni relies on gut feelings and intuition about a situation to help them understand. Introverted Intuition does not look at what is seen. Introverted Intuition forms an internal map and framework of how things work. The map is slowly adapted and adjusted over time to allow the user to get a better sense of the “big picture of things” and what steps to take to get the desired outcome.

Introverted Intuition will take pieces of abstract information and make sense of it. It is not interested so much in concrete facts, as it is with the essence of ideas and theories, and how they all fit together. They are very good at recognizing patterns.

Introverted Intuition may sense that something is off. They may notice a person’s tone of voice, a momentary pause, or body language that is incongruent to how they typically behave. These factors are observed in a more abstract way, making it difficult for the Ni user to explain their conclusion to others. They just get an overall feel or aura of the situation.

Introverted Intuition can actually be compared very similarly with Introverted Sensing. Both take into account past events and how they unfolded. While Introverted Sensing will remember the facts and details of a past experience, Introverted Intuition will recall the essence of what happened and how events eventually played out. Ni users can take past experiences to assess a current situation, and then use this memory bank of experiences of what they sense will happen to envision whether a plan will be successful.

Ni users are also good at creating a persona. They understand how the world perceives people. They can create a vision of what they want to become, and take steps toward accomplishing their goal. For example, an Ni user can notice “If I wear a this suit here and present my story this way, I have a good chance of getting an investment for my business.” They understand what objects and events symbolize and how they can use them to their advantage.

Introverted Intuition asks questions like “what’s really going on here?” or “where have I felt this way before?” Introverted Intuition is one of the toughest functions to explain to someone else that doesn’t have it. Because of this, Ni has been labeled as “mystical” and “psychic.” And sure, it can appear that way to others, but it is more complex and involved than just “magically” coming to conclusions.

People with Introverted Intuition would be wise to develop their Extraverted Feeling or Extraverted Thinking function. An Ni user that is “too in their head” can come up with some unrealistic and imaginative interpretations of events.

Remember that Introverted Intuition is only as good as all the experiences one has had in their life. Denying new experiences will cause Ni to be less accurate over time. Extraverted Feeling and Extraverted Thinking deal more with observing the outside world. This will give the Ni user a sense of balance and better understanding of what is going on outside of their heads, as well as help ground the user. Going into new situations and observing without a preconceived bias will help the person to understand the dynamics of the world. The Ni user would do best to come to their conclusions after the experience is over instead of during it. http://personalitygrowth.com/introverted-intuition/

YWIMW

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You either get that Fe is going to create and therefore manipulate emotional states or you don't. It isn't that complicated honestly. (In order to find out an object's potential, you have to manipulate it somehow. You don't already know its potential if you need to manipulate it, because if you did, you wouldn't need to manipulate it in the first place. You would just chose the best object for whatever purpose you needed it for upfront.)

I mean, Adolf ****** was an EIE who manipulated the crap out of a lot of people with compelling and captivating speeches until he ultimately failed and committed suicide. (But that's Fe in DA cognition.)

TIM
    IEI-Ni 6w5-9-2 So/Sx
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically out of character was intended to denote exceeding the limits set by others of that persons character. Not my own. Make more sense?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

You either get that Fe is going to create and therefore manipulate emotional states or you don't. It isn't that complicated honestly. (In order to find out an object's potential, you have to manipulate it somehow. You don't already know its potential if you need to manipulate it, because if you did, you wouldn't need to manipulate it in the first place. You would just chose the best object for whatever purpose you needed it for upfront.)

I mean, Adolf ****** was an EIE who manipulated the crap out of a lot of people with compelling and captivating speeches until he ultimately failed and committed suicide. (But that's Fe in DA cognition.)
    I get a vague sense of circular reasoning in your response but I don't get it. Thanks for trying.

Edit: I think you can see the potential first then manipulate an "object" so to me the two do not seem mutually exclusive.

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People always perceive me as being very high strung. My whole life I've unintentionally inspired people to straighten up their behavior. If they're doing something stupid, and I look at them, they stop. Must be a look on my face.

i think in order to manipulate emotion you have to take in and perceive it. A big part of Fe is knowing what's socially appropriate at a given time. If my friend is crying and I want to make her feel better, I don't break into a happy dance or make a joke like I would with someone already in range of a good mood already, even though my goal may be to change her mood to a happier one. Instead, I commiserate. I take on an appropriately somber/angry/regretful/etc emotion, so that she can vent and then improve her mood. Anyway, assessing the potential of a person's or situations mood doesn't involve manipulating it. That's a separate process that comes first from which you can then choose to manipulate or not.

I also kind of resent this idea that all Fe is just emotional manipulation. I think by and large we're just expressive people. Often we're very passionate, and that's contagious. I don't think we really set out to influence people's emotion in a calculated way; it just happens.
    Last edited by TheWholeEnglish; 10-15-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWholeEnglish View Post
    i think in order to manipulate emotion you have to take in and perceive it. A big part of Fe is knowing what's socially appropriate at a given time. If my friend is crying and I want to make her feel better, I don't break into a happy dance or make a joke like I would with someone already in range of a good mood already, even though my goal may be to change her mood to a happier one. Instead, I commiserate. I take on an appropriately somber/angry/regretful/etc emotion, so that she can vent and then improve her mood. Anyway, assessing the potential of a person's or situations mood doesn't involve manipulating it. That's a separate process that comes first from which you can then choose to manipulate or not.

I also kind of resent this idea that all Fe is just emotional manipulation. I think by and large we're just expressive people. Often we're very passionate, and that's contagious. I don't think we really set out to influence people's emotion in a calculated way; it just happens.
    Thank you for this. I get it. It is also what I was playing with in my own head but wasn't sure what she was trying to express so my head started to spin.

YWIMW

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WowowowwowWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOOOOOOWWWWWW

Jim, Invisible. "Socionics something something". The16types.info shoutbox; May 15, 2014.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yeves View Post
    squirrels from outer space
    WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWWWW

Banned
    TIM
    f a g g o t
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there's any subject at hand I have really strong opinions about, I suddenly transform from my docile, idiot self into a raging basket case piece of shit and I just pummel them with megatons of anger and don't even realize it. I can even force myself to get explosively mad at anything. People don't even recognize me when I do it.

Lately I've realized I can even do it deliberately. I scare the living shit out of people sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast