TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    Certain anybodies can suck.
    That's exactly how I was going to respond. And your box example was wonderful. Good ol' LIIs. So good at coming to the point.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another tereg special: the long post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    I agree that this is a fair criticism of Ne leading types. However, I do find myself trying to compensate for this constantly. Realizing that I'm doing this and being very conscious about how it makes others feel, but not knowing how to effectively change it. I am very in tune with how those that don't value Ne are perceiving me at that moment and find myself trying to approach things differently, which just makes me feel and seem awkward, out of my element. Maybe this is an Fi subtype thing?

Are you suggesting that we should purposely try to develop our creative functions in these situations? I think this is interesting. Could you tell me more about this?
    I don't think it's as much of an Fi subtype thing as it is just simply the use of . Because I find that I am extremely conscious of these situations as well, i.e. understanding where my use of my stronger elements would clash in certain situations when when use of them is warranted, when to reach into the weaker elements to assist something -- pretty much what Sunshine was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post
    yes actually that is what i am suggesting for work situations, but only because you may have very little control over the personalities of the people you work with. like, say if you could have intra-quadra work relationships solely then you wouldn't need to restrict yourself to your creative function. but most of us don't get that choice, which is why work is such a pain in the ass. you have to constantly adjust who you are depending on who you are interacting with at work and how much power they have.

for myself, i simply found better results that people appreciated more through use of my creative function. the creative is a nice place to live when the situation is largely unknown. so, in my job, developing systems, tools, training people on their use, etc. i think i just kind of kept my Ne more private...like, i'd research a bunch of stuff, find out about all kinds of things that might have a good application to my job, but i wouldn't really tell anybody about it until the moment was right. like, for example, i found this great assessment tool, but i waited until it looked like there was a problem with the assessment we were currently using (as identified by an outside expert) to present the new and improved assessment. like, if i had just come out with it, it would have been rejected out of hand and i would have been seen as a waster of time and a dreamer, unconnected to the priorities of the organization.
    I think that's part of what makes good intuition (just in general) is in the timing and knowing when to speak up about the new things that just sprouted up in my mind and when to hold them back. I identify with this as well, and I sort of get a "feel" of when to interject my ideas or thoughts in any given discussion. You might find that I have something that I want to say, but I'm constantly looking for the right moment to say it. This is a concept that I actually see in use in comedy: a well-timed line that really drives the point home and is delivered in a humorous sort of way. For me personally this is how will keep my in check -- knowing when to act and when not to.

Also, I'd like to reference this page as well when we had a robust discussion of extraverted intuition: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=18095

The discussion actually morphs into a discussion about + and + in which some people were helping me wrap my mind around what + is. I liked what was discussed in there a lot.

Also, this discussion of the various functions in the workplace that seem to be well-suited reminded me of this thread that I made: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...ad.php?t=17099

I find that my use of + is extremely well suited as a System Administrator or providing technical support or web design. My job is flexible enough to allow me to delve into these side projects that I can come up with (I try to be as reasonable as possible with my ideas) in which I can use my abilities as a web site devleoper to create these web-based applications to assist with various (and in some cases tedious) tasks that others have to go through on a day-to-day basis. Things that can alleviate some of the burdens of having to maintain or manually keep track of things by hand.

When I first got here, the company did not have an intranet site (it's fairly small company in scope). Since there were no (and still aren't any) web developers on staff, I am free to let my roam and be able to find things that I think would be beneficial to create for the employee's usage.

It started off with very simple goals: just provide a nice central repository for documents and forms that the employees have to access on a day to day basis. The file structure was somewhat convoluted when I got here, files that employees had to access were spead across several directories, so the web pages I'd make would simply centralize all of that without jerking around with the file structure (which would also as a good side effect free us from organizing it at a later time and truly centralize the structure without pulling the rug out from everyone else).

I later added a paid-time off (PTO) application which utilizes a database which basically provided the HR department with a way to manage PTO paperlessly. The way it used to be done when I first got there was if you wanted to ask for time off you had to fill out this paper form by hand and then turn it into HR, which in turn filed the paper requests in some filing cabinet. Seeing this, I had suggested the idea of possibly using the intranet site to manage this for HR. After a couple of months of development (and here's where the comes in) and working with the HR department to create a system that's intuitive and easy to use but functions how they want it to function, I was able to get it done.

Here's the thing about that that I thought was interesting: I obviously had my own ideas about how I thought the system should work. And it was an extremely interesting process to see how my initial ideas and thoughts get molded and refined into something more usable. I had to take my own "vision" for the project (the ) and be able to really listen and understand what the HR department needed the system to do in order for it to be a useful thing.

Anyways, since then I have added similar sorts of things to the site, still with the same freedom I've had since I started it, just being able to find a need or someone suggest something to me and be able to create it for them.

The other thing I wanted to briefly mention was the technical support side of things. In that thread I linked above, I find that and really come into play in that arena for me as well. I am very sensitive about being able to supply assistance to the widest array (in the computer knowledge aspect) of people as I can. I am very sensitive about not talking down to people and not making them feel like an idiot for asking me questions.

Quote Originally Posted by tereg
    So, this is how I do it. No matter how easy or difficult a problem is, I will not be in a "know-it-all" or a "why are you wasting my time" disposition. Body language can convey that too, so I'm extremely mindful of that as well. It's important for me to make the person that I'm assisting to be comfortable about approaching me with any type of problem, no matter how small or large it is. That was probably one of the most heard complaint I've heard from people who have dealt with other IT guys. "I went to this person to fix my computer, and they were really rude, they were intimidating, I felt like I was wasting his time with my little questions because he acted like he knew what was wrong without me telling him."
    That's the side of it. The side of it is after establishing this trust being able to use the experience of recognizing patterns or if I can't recognize the patterns, know how to effectively find the solution (i.e. effectively use Google to get what I need). So, one of the biggest keys for me in being able to provide technical support was for me to truly understand the different ways a problem (like an error message or strange behavior) can happen. Once I understood the root, the characteristic, the essence of the problem, the only trigger I need is the manifestation, which would automatically lead me to the array of possible reasons why it is doing what it is doing. Which then gives me a chance to fall back on several options if the first thing I try doesn't work. Usually I approach these issues with a few things already in mind, and if those don't work, that's when Google becomes my confidant. Diagnosing these things in my mind is about understanding the likelihood that a potential cause actually did manifest in the way that it is when I address the issue.

So, while all of this is, in sorts "thinking out of the box", it's not doing it to sort of forcefully generate ideas. The generation of the ideas of how to address needs or applicibly finding a creative solution for something that would be useful to have is something I see as more fundamental. This I would believe is sort of the springboard for which "thinking out of the box" becomes possible.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Basically I'm just suggesting a different way to see how can be useful in the workplace.

(ooh, there's more )

Edit: I like tying things up and together and bringing things back around full circle. It warms me.
    Last edited by tereg; 07-10-2008 at 08:02 PM.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    I agree there's a lot of room for IxEs in the corporate world, at least in Europe. IxEs are the rulers in my world... However, I think a narrow-minded ST-boss might be hell for me. I have some STs executives around as well, and I've heard this (to me ridiculous) phrase coming from them MORE than once:
    "Yes, we are aware that you have been our most successful project leader for 3 consecutive years, and we are aware that no other person on your level has ever brought in as much money as you have, but we have this feeling it's a coincidence, as if you have only been lucky... We are waiting to see what happens when you run out of luck. And, yes, we see that you work long hours, with great enthusiasm, but it seems as you always focus on the wrong things, as if you don't know how to prioritize."

These (to me ridiculous) statements must be caused by not understanding Ne, wouldn't you say? I think any narrow-minded person, no matter what function, will tend to not understand other people and their working styles, and in a bad relation, no matter what functions are leading, your style can actually be what prevents you from advancement.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately for your self-esteem), what you mention has nothing to do with your Ne, and everything to do with them being ST and bosses. An ST in an hierachical position of power over you will never lend its power. Your only opportunity for advancement is either a change of bosses, or an ENT or ESF promoting you from above the STs.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately for your self-esteem), what you mention has nothing to do with your Ne, and everything to do with them being ST and bosses. An ST in an hierachical position of power over you will never lend its power. Your only opportunity for advancement is either a change of bosses, or an ENT or ESF promoting you from above the STs.
    Hey, that makes sense.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An ST in an hierachical position of power over you will never lend its power. Your only opportunity for advancement is either a change of bosses, or an ENT or ESF promoting you from above the STs.
    Asses.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure enough for beta ST's. not sure about delta ST's.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12