Thread: Fe test?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fe test?

A part of Fe is "reading emotional data" right? Picking up on signals from others that indicate what they are feeling right?

So if I were to ask some Fe base types and some Fe PoLR types to watch a short film and write down the number of times they picked up on an indication of what the person in the film was feeling, would it be an adequate way to test the Fe difference between Fe base types and Fe PoLR types? Yes or no and why?

Thanks for your replies.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that'd be interesting. Here's a clip from 'East of Eden'. I've always thought that his emotional reaction seems unbelievable and overdone - like he's obviously just acting. James Dean is supposed to be an ISTp. Some people say that this scene is an example of magnificent acting - others that his reaction doesn't make sense.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkSufbaqVUg[/ame]
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theMime. View Post
    A part of Fe is "reading emotional data" right? Picking up on signals from others that indicate what they are feeling right?

So if I were to ask some Fe base types and some Fe PoLR types to watch a short film and write down the number of times they picked up on an indication of what the person in the film was feeling, would it be an adequate way to test the Fe difference between Fe base types and Fe PoLR types? Yes or no and why?

Thanks for your replies.
    I think that you would probably do best by just testing everyone's type - including all types - and then showing the video. Then take the data and see if any trends or commonalities can be found across all types.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    I think that you would probably do best by just testing everyone's type - including all types - and then showing the video. Then take the data and see if any trends or commonalities can be found across all types.
    Thanks for your suggestion.

Yes I agree, better to test ALL types.

Also, I was thinking if people posted their answer publicly it might mess with the accuracy because for instance if the first person says, "I picked up on a change in emotion 10 times" then other people might be influenced by that and then look for 10 changes in emotion and then post that as their answer...I think it's called confirmation bias or something like that.

So maybe people's answers could all be pmed to one person who could later reveal the data and there wouldn't be confirmation bias.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused. I thought that picking up on emotional cues and other people's feelings was emotional intelligence? I might not understand the difference between Fe and Fi.

I mean, I feel like my Fe friends would pick up the emotion and react to it, sort of shaping the situation in the outside world. I picture this like ping pong balls bouncing around between people.

Where as, I would pick up their emotion, and internalize it, possibly not express much at all, but I'd be aware of it and would understand their depths. Others may or may not be aware that I'm doing that, since I would only express it in some situations, but not others. So it would be more of a ping pong ball bouncing from one person to the other and than stopping.

I'd like to hear more input on this though as the distinction between Fe and Fi is still fuzzy in my mind.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I'm confused. I thought that picking up on emotional cues and other people's feelings was emotional intelligence? I might not understand the difference between Fe and Fi.

I mean, I feel like my Fe friends would pick up the emotion and react to it, sort of shaping the situation in the outside world. I picture this like ping pong balls bouncing around between people.

Where as, I would pick up their emotion, and internalize it, possibly not express much at all, but I'd be aware of it and would understand their depths. Others may or may not be aware that I'm doing that, since I would only express it in some situations, but not others. So it would be more of a ping pong ball bouncing from one person to the other and than stopping.

I'd like to hear more input on this though as the distinction between Fe and Fi is still fuzzy in my mind.
    Yeah.
    And even Fe PoLR types know what a smile and a frown means! Maybe that part of Fe theory is just flat out wrong.

Or maybe you're right and Fe isn't so much about recognizing emotions in others but more about I guess being able to change the emotional atmosphere?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very receptive to changes in emotion. For example, I regularily witness exchanges where person A is feeling uncomfortable and person B doesn't realize the effect they're having.

I tend to associate Fe with the expression of a dynamic, internal state and that's what I have difficulty with. It's too jarring for me and it's not how I prefer to think.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I am very receptive to changes in emotion. For example, I regularily witness exchanges where person A is feeling uncomfortable and person B doesn't realize the effect they're having.

I tend to associate Fe with the expression of a dynamic, internal state and that's what I have difficulty with. It's too jarring for me and it's not how I prefer to think.
    +1
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+2! Very well articulated sir.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that bit always seemed off to me...my ISTp brother is pretty killer at recognizing discomfort and what not also!

Ok so what do you mean by the expression of a dynamic internal state?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that bit always seemed off to me...my ISTp brother is pretty killer at recognizing discomfort and what not also!

Ok so what do you mean by the expression of a dynamic internal state?
    Others may correct or clarify according to their take on it.

For me, 'flow' has become very important. Flow keeps me grounded, and things that I have to adapt to in the world are always taxing it. If I've got a 'strong' or 'good' flow going on, internal changes brought about by the world are seamless and stress-free, which makes me feel relaxed and in control. Stable.

What I associate with Fe - right or wrong - is kind of the opposite to that. I think that they might see that stability as constrictive and boring. They work much better with a dynamic, internal state that is fully resolved/satisfied when it's expressed somehow, be it speech, movement, whatever. It's their preferred, default state.

However, that expression kind of impinges on the deal that I got going on, and I end up resenting that. If I'm chilling out in a hammock and someone's sawing on the cord with a jackknife, I'm obviously going to have a problem with that.

I think maybe where an ENFp fits, for example, is that they too are dynamic, but it feels more uniform and subtle with them. Like it's just easier to match up internal rhythms.

That's pretty abstract. I'm having difficulty describing what I want to say.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused. I thought that picking up on emotional cues and other people's feelings was emotional intelligence?
    It is in a sense. At least it is strongly related to it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not exactly. Nothing suggests that a leading type would be worse at such things than a leading type. Picking up data and signals of what other people are feeling is not the same thing as using a function. But those who are strong in F (Fe and Fi) are usually better at it than those who are weak in F.

Quote Originally Posted by theMime
    Yes and no. You would see a clear difference in that the Fe base type would more likely be able to pick up on such things, but it would not be an adequate test of the difference between Fe base and Fe PoLR types, because that ability is not directly related to exactly those functions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    No, not exactly. Nothing suggests that a leading type would be worse at such things than a leading type. Picking up data and signals of what other people are feeling is not the same thing as using a function. But those who are strong in F (Fe and Fi) are usually better at it than those who are weak in F.

Yes and no. You would see a clear difference in that the Fe base type would more likely be able to pick up on such things, but it would not be an adequate test of the difference between Fe base and Fe PoLR types, because that ability is not directly related to exactly those functions.
    Ok then do you have any suggestions as to how to test the strength of Fe?

And how is that ability not directly related to Fe? Could you please expand on your thoughts?

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phaedrus has a valid point that all F types are good at picking up signals, although I disagree that it is equally related to . I think that types that pick up external signals are using their id .

However, I think the test shoudl go beyond "picking up" signals. I can "pick up" signals, I just don't know what they mean.

So I think this test should be an essay. This will help to weed out the types as well, because it's harder to verbalize your id.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was interesting what some of the ISTps said about Fe. I basically feel similarly. I feel like the Fe types want me to produce a song and dance about how I feel. I can't just be like "I'm really sorry that your cat died." I have to act melodramatic and make my voice like "OHHH NOOOO! your CAT!!!! He diiiiieeed!!! *tears*" That gets the best effect with the Fe types and they feel like I "get" them when I act like that. But it takes energy for me to go around with a song and dance like that.

I feel just as bad for the cat and the person who has lost the cat, even if I don't say it as dramatically.

Also, I feel like if I don't say something dramatically, they kinda don't buy what I'm saying. Like, if I'm not yelling they assume I'm not angry. Like only the emotions you can see exist, where as for me, it's the ones you can't see as obviously in people that I think are stronger.

This also feels fake for me because it sometimes takes me a while to figure out how I feel about something. It's not instant. So I can't be like "oh NOO! The poor precious cat!!" Because I haven't had time to think about how I feel about the cat, but I know they want me to say that. But it feels fake to say something that I am unsure of just to make them feel better.

So I almost need to go away, think it over, and come back and then express how I feel about the cat. And maybe I really don't care that the cat is dead. And really, I don't think it's any of their business also. I guess that's the big difference between Fi and Fe. The Fi is private and not wanting to share everything w/ everyone and the Fe is like a big communal emotion-swap? I dunno, just rambling here.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This also feels fake for me because it sometimes takes me a while to figure out how I feel about something. It's not instant. So I can't be like "oh NOO! The poor precious cat!!" Because I haven't had time to think about how I feel about the cat, but I know they want me to say that. But it feels fake to say something that I am unsure of just to make them feel better.

So I almost need to go away, think it over, and come back and then express how I feel about the cat. And maybe I really don't care that the cat is dead. And really, I don't think it's any of their business also. I guess that's the big difference between Fi and Fe. The Fi is private and not wanting to share everything w/ everyone and the Fe is like a big communal emotion-swap? I dunno, just rambling here.
    When you say you have to figure out how you feel about something, are you meaning that you have to think about how you should feel? I'm trying to understand what you're meaning here. :-)
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't just be like "I'm really sorry that your cat died." I have to act melodramatic and make my voice like "OHHH NOOOO! your CAT!!!! He diiiiieeed!!! *tears*" That gets the best effect with the Fe types and they feel like I "get" them when I act like that. But it takes energy for me to go around with a song and dance like that.
    Thank god someone else feels the same way.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire