Thread: Should I be a psychologist or an artist? (esper)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should I be a psychologist or an artist? (esper)

psychology is a long tough row to hoe. plan on a Phd and lotsa student loans. the human services field is needing Phd level folks less and less, so plan on an academic or research career if go choose psychology. on the other hand, in private practice you can earn a decent living, but then plan on working nights for quite awhile till you get it off the ground.

some people do fantastic in the arts, but they are notoriously low paying, unstable, and hard to predict for the majority of people. so i guess it depends on your realistic assessment of your level of talent and whether people will be willing to pay money for what you produce. i love the arts, but a lot of people see it as extra.

psychology is seen as an extra, too. i truly do not believe it is, but really it's business that runs everything. concrete production, buying, and selling.

but you know you have to follow your heart and your dreams. but, also, ask yourself a simple question: what can i stand to do all day? what thing is going to motivate me day after day and what thing is more of a passing interest?

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't think psychologists are very useful. I'd say artist, I think that might be more enjoyable. I know a ton of INFp artists. If you REALLY like psychology, and writing long tedious papers about your findings, and maybe over analyzing problems, then perhaps. (I know, I worded that all intentionally)

What kind of an artist?
    What kind of a psych?
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UDP View Post
    Don't think psychologists are very useful.
    case in point.

ILE

Creepy-Cyclops

It would be good if we could do everything. I don't know what you could do esper. But here's a thought, could you get involved in some sort of social work/child psychology were you reach out to the kids via the performing arts or something? I dunno, i'm just trying to look for a way you/we can do everything

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I’m quickly finding out, the life of an artist is a difficult one in our time. There is constant financial insecurity, a huge strain on your family/personal/love life, and constant pressure to be on your game. Remember: Just because you’re blessed with a certain talent, doesn’t mean you have to pursue it as a career. Art as a hobby or something you do on the side is probably a better choice if you don’t have the temperament for it. But if you do want to make a career out of it, there are some other essential skills besides talent that you’ll need. The requisite skills necessary to pursue a career in the arts is no less than that equal to pursuing business. In fact, being a professional artist is really all about turning yourself into a business and marketing it. Ask yourself the following questions (most of this applies more applicably to musicians and other performing artists, but a lot of it applies to other arts as well):

1.) Do you work well under pressure? There’s a saying in the music industry: “Luck is being prepared for the unexpected.” Sometimes you’ll hit upon an opportunity that you had no time to prepare for, but is too important to pass up. An example: a soprano I know got a call from the director of an opera company who had heard her sing in the past, and wanted her to come in the next day and understudy a role that night. Both the lead and understudy had the flu. This sort of thing happens, and you need to be able to rally your forces at any moment.

2.) Do you travel well? Jet-lag and late nights are the death of a musician. You really need to have a lot of discipline about looking after your health. I know the stereotype is “drugs, sex and rock n’ roll” but that’s only possible if you’ve got superhuman resilience and have already made it. In reality, your health is your capital in the bank. If you lose that, you’re career prospects dwindle down. Live on the interest.

3.) How is your energy? If you’re a musician, you’ll most likely perform at night. What’s more is that most musicians have a “day-job” (at least temporarily) in an unrelated field in order to pay the bills. Think of this: you perform at night and maybe get home at 1:00A.M. You need to get up at 6:00A.M. tomorrow morning in order to get to work on time. You might have an hour or two after work to chill/go out/practice/be with your spouse/etc. Then you might have another gig that night and need to give it all you've got (left). Needless to say, you can’t be the type of person who burns out easily.

4.) Are you planning on having a family? Having a career in the arts and raising a family is not easy. There’s the aforementioned constant need for travel, as well as the need to practice or work continuously… this can all put a huge strain on your spouse if you have or, or especially your kids.

5.) Are you good with money? You need a good foundation in personal finance. This is the unglamorous side of the artist. Even if you work a “day-job” to support yourself, you’ll need to be spend-thrifty unless you plan on living on McDonalds and Ramen Noodles and living with your parents for a while.

6.) Are you good at marketing yourself? Because you’ll need to be persistent and elegant at selling your work to club owners/artistic directors/audition panels/art galleries/publishers/etc. You’ll need to be proactive at hounding out opportunities and following up on calls and submitting yourself out there for scrutiny.

7.) Do you take rejection/criticism well? You really need to have a huge self-concept to be an artist and really know who you are and why you are doing what you’re doing. If you don’t, the world will eat you alive and spit out what’s left of you. In order not to become jaded, depressed, and demoralized (which will undoubtedly happen at some point, but you need to be able to bounce back), you need to have a vast understanding of your craft and how you approach it. This will help you take criticism and put it in context and will help you move on after rejection much faster.

My recommendation is to get a good basis in some sort of marketable skill. Something that will get you hired but won’t suck up all your time (i.e., don’t become a doctor if you plan on being a singer, lol). This sounds thoroughly unromantic, but if you don’t, you’ll really be swimming against the tide. It’s just much easier to focus on your craft and ponder the intricacies of the universe if you don’t have to worry about where your next paycheck or meal will come from. “A hungry man thinks first of his stomach” and if you’re preoccupied with financial insecurity, travel expenses, car troubles, relationship strains, etc. your art will suffer.

Now psychology can be greatly rewarding if you’ve got a knack for people, but I honestly don’t think the current mental health industry is in a good place at the moment. The pharmaceutical industry has largely co-opted the profession and if you’re interested in anything more than shelling out pills, you’ll have a lot to work against.

Anyway, whatever you choose, good luck.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by esper View Post
    Have any of you had experience in these fields (experimental psychology/research or visual arts/music)? Any other IEIs wanna give their two cents?

I'm still deliberating as I'm about to graduate which I should really focus on as a career and which as a hobby.
    I doubt I'm IEI, but it's possible, and you should definitely become a psychologist but elevate being-a-psychologist to a new form of art.

(If only because elevating being-an-artist to a new form of psychology doesn't work quite as well.)

Actually, though, seriously - I think being a psychologist might pay better and you can still do art on the side without being quite as stressed about keeping your living conditions okay. Unless you get lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Holy mud-wrestling bipolar donkeys, Batman!

Retired from posting and drawing Social Security. E-mail or PM to contact.

I pity your souls

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine Lively View Post
    case in point.
    Mhm
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    HOLYSHITTHESEARETHEEXACTTWOCAREERSIHAVEBEENDEBATIN GONEXCEPTIALSOAMCONSIDERINGLAWOMGTHATISSOWEIRD!

interesting, space is automated after 50 characters.

12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890 1234567890

yeah...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to be who you are, even when it's not easy. You may start off in one field and then discover that you miss the other field more than you anticipated. Which is okay, it's part of the journey. I've always been intrigued by psychology but I found that my eyes would glaze over after awhile. There's just too much science, too much blah blah blah blah, I dunno. Truth is, I wanted to be a photographer. But I didn't like the business aspect and I didn't want to have to cater to client's whims. I wanted creative freedom. But when you make your living doing something, you HAVE to cater to your client's desires. So....I never made a career out of either of those things. I got married, had kids and create all sorts of stuff in various mediums for my own enjoyment and for the people I love. On the one hand, it's a luxury to be able to do that. On the other hand, I sometimes wish I would have focussed my interests and energies into one thing that I could call my own. A career of some sort. But there's still time for that....
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It would be good if we could do everything. I don't know what you could do esper. But here's a thought, could you get involved in some sort of social work/child psychology were you reach out to the kids via the performing arts or something? I dunno, i'm just trying to look for a way you/we can do everything
    First, follow your heart, your inner knowing knows exactly which path to take in any given moment.

Second, I agree with Cyclops in finding cool ways that combine them both. Those are my two passions too and art therapy has always interested me as a combo. I've also taught art classes with a slant that helps them with psychological issues. As well as doing Soul Portraits that I paint while helping them through "stuff." like a psychology session while I paint their portrait...it's powerful. Or other art I've done that has a purpose of dealing with psychological issues within the art itself. ideas...

love
    kj

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbmmama View Post
    First, follow your heart, your inner knowing knows exactly which path to take in any given moment.
    I completely disagree.

Always consider the practicalities of everything you do using your head.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I completely disagree.

Always consider the practicalities of everything you do using your head.
    Yes, I can see how you would. But, it works for me. Otherwise, things get fucked up very easily, for me.

love
    kj

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anamericancer View Post
    Interesting theory. How do you know when your "inner knowing" is making a decision? Is it a feeling? I've "felt" things, done them, and have fucked things up hard on various occasions.

My inner knowing abandoned me, I guess.
    For me personally it's not a theory. Most people think it's theory and don't get it.

It's a feeling, it's a sensing, it's a *knowing.* You either know it or you don't. It's really beyond words to describe. How do you tell someone how to **tune in** to the higher frequency channel where their Soul, their Higher Self reside within themselves? For me, it's right there all the time and then I just *know* stuff without knowing how I know. As I follow those knowings, everything flows in sweet perfection. It's when I don't that things get fucked up.

Your inner knowing making a decision.....nah, it's all ONE in the inner essence of everythingness, so you already *knew* before time began.....it then comes into your human mind awareness as you *ask* for it to be shown to you.......

When it's said that IEIs and EIEs are the most psychic, that's what they're talking about I believe.

My inner knowing knows things beyond time, space, everythingness.....that's the *thing* that knows which direction to go. THAT is my compass for carrying out my vision, my purpose this lifetime.

I've found you either know what the hell I'm talking about or you don't, or you do but don't **listen** enuf for it to work for you.

love
    kj

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or.....you could use both your head AND your heart. Hmmm.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could look into art therapy. I don't know a lot about it but I think it has something to with painting/drawing as a way of releasing or not focusing on your problems.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Or.....you could use both your head AND your heart. Hmmm.
    sure, you can use whatever you want... and it's probably best to use whatever works for you, ie: your ego strengths...

i know, for me, when i use Se and/or Ti to ask which direction to go in my life, whether for big decisions or daily ones, it gets messed up for me. when i primarily stay in Fe and Ni, it all flows.

and with the OP being Ni and Fe, I say use those strengths to help you make your decision...

love,
    kj

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now psychology can be greatly rewarding if you’ve got a knack for people, but I honestly don’t think the current mental health industry is in a good place at the moment. The pharmaceutical industry has largely co-opted the profession and if you’re interested in anything more than shelling out pills, you’ll have a lot to work against.
    yes the human services profession is not in good space at all, and pharmies are not the only reason.

basically insurance companies have gone and taken all the artistry out of the field. it's cognitive behavioral therapy so you can fill out the utilization review form for the managed care company. while you can do other stuff, just go and try during your 50 minute session whilst you write treatment plans and progress notes.

basically no one wants to pay for mental health treatment.....addiction treatment fares a little bit better, but mental health is in the shitter right now.

you don't make dick for money, because insurance won't hardly reimburse for anything....and anything that's there, you can be sure your agency will scoop up.

and people go into serious debt to become social workers and psychologists. please.

ILE