Thread: Because you can't have too many duality threads

Creepy-female

Default .

Last edited by female; 07-10-2008 at 04:12 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Expat once said that duals are essentially two sides of the same coin (I'm not certain if it was Expat or not, but anyway). Obviously when you add the individual personality into the mix it becomes more complicated, but when looking purely at the abstract concept of a type, the dual is essentially the yin to that type's yang. Back in my more philosophical days I came up with the idea that for two "things" to be opposite to eachother, they have to be on the same wavelength. If they're not on the same wavelength, then they're not opposite but simply different. Going by this concept, duals are opposites - two sides of the same coin as quoted above. By contrast, conflictors are not opposites since they're not on the same wavelength - conflictors are simply different to one another. Whether or not what I've said makes any sense whatsoever I do not know. It makes sense to me and given that I love to monologue (not that anyone would ever notice) I'm satisfied.
    ILI (Indescribable Lovemaking Inc.)
    5w4 so/sx

"IP temperament! Because today's concerns are tomorrow's indifferences!"

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.
    Stickam music performances

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BLauritson View Post
    I think Expat once said that duals are essentially two sides of the same coin
    does this imply a constant struggle about who gets to be on top?

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX View Post
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...why are duals better? It seems to me that a better idea would be to go with the person whose ego is your super-ego.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or balance with neither.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryene Astraelis View Post
    So...why are duals better? It seems to me that a better idea would be to go with the person whose ego is your super-ego.
    There are two things I can think of regarding that:

1) Because your super-ego functions are painfully sensitive to external input, which is something your super-ego and conflictor partners naturally use.
    2) Because your super-id functions (i.e. the ones your dual and activity partner use) complement your ego functions, whereas your super-ego functions conflict with your ego functions.

I can try and explain either of the above in more detail if you want, but that's a quick summary of the reasons why.
    Last edited by BLauritson; 03-10-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added the quote
    5w4 so/sx

Lord Fnorgle's Domain - A slowly growing collection of music, poetry and literature.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are two things I can think of regarding that:

1) Because your super-ego functions are painfully sensitive to external input, which is something your super-ego and conflictor partners naturally use.
    2) Because your super-id functions (i.e. the ones your dual and activity partner use) complement your ego functions, whereas your super-ego functions conflict with your ego functions.

I can try and explain either of the above in more detail if you want, but that's a quick summary of the reasons why.
    I kinda get it. Not fully, though. How would they be sensitive to external input?
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. how to explain this. Basically, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of (although I'm developing a theory in my mind about this), it's an area of the psyche which is very easily hurt. It's an area we naturally struggle with and something we'd rather avoid dealing with. If someone criticises you about something relating to one of your super-ego functions, it's something that stings rather harshly. Basically, although I don't know why exactly, it's just a very sensitive area of the psyche. Sensitive even to the extent that, depending who the advice is coming from, even advice for help with your super-ego functions can be mis-interpreted as criticism. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm explaining it very clearly.
    5w4 so/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. how to explain this. Basically, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of (although I'm developing a theory in my mind about this), it's an area of the psyche which is very easily hurt. It's an area we naturally struggle with and something we'd rather avoid dealing with. If someone criticises you about something relating to one of your super-ego functions, it's something that stings rather harshly. Basically, although I don't know why exactly, it's just a very sensitive area of the psyche. Sensitive even to the extent that, depending who the advice is coming from, even advice for help with your super-ego functions can be mis-interpreted as criticism. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm explaining it very clearly.
    It does. After reading an IEE description and their reaction to Ti, it now makes sense. And I completely understand the sensitive part.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jxrtes View Post
    You can. Super-ego relations are actually very common, I think. These would work if both partners have very similar world views such that any input from the partner's strong function doesn't seem like criticism, but only a statement of what you already regard as obvious.

The mental ring divides into two blocks: ego and superego - both map out the external reality. The superego is your baseline perception of reality - ie. how reality is. You ego is your own original perception of reality - ie. how reality should be. The ego is by far the more confident block however.

I'll suggest that an ideal superego partner with a very similar background/upgringing/world view can seem to take care of your weaker side by rushing in to the scene touting your mutually held dogma about existence. Although I would imagine that many of these relationships are pursued by practical people (perhaps really career-oriented, perhaps early in life), and I still can't imagine these working out perfectly, because of the differences in strength.

There's is something about duality which makes it much more desirable. The partner's strength is your superid - your locus of concern as an organism yet something which you can't generate succesfully on your own. The dual can and does affect you to the very core of your being. Whereas a superego partner's contribution is practical, your dual affects you in a way which is very personal.
    I have no idea of whether this makes any sense or not but it is a fine way to put it. I enjoyed reading it despite the little nagging voice in my head saying "hmm...HMMMMMMM...".

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea of whether this makes any sense or not but it is a fine way to put it. I enjoyed reading it despite the little nagging voice in my head saying "hmm...HMMMMMMM...".
    I think one would have to be careful in such a relationship, as there are many chances for misunderstandings/hurt feelings.
    Johari/Nohari

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.